• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

renting a car-seat

lizanne

DIS Veteran
Any suggestions on where/when to rent a car seat. We are driving and my son, daughter-in-law and 2 year old grandson are flying. At times we will be using the car and will need a car-seat but are not able to take one down with us.

Any help will be appreciated.

Any suggestions on where/when to rent a car seat. We are driving and my son, daughter-in-law and 2 year old grandson are flying. At times we will be using the car and will need a car-seat but are not able to take one down with us.

Do they not want to bring their own car seat on the plane? Your grandson could use it onboard if it is air safety compliant or they could check it for free.

We had this same problem a few years ago with 2 grandchildren staying with us at WDW. We were renting a car for their stay, needing two car seats and found they were $10 per day/per car seat from the rental agency and we were renting the car for a week.

We went to Target near AKV and purchased two car seats for ~ $35 each. The seats were donated to DVC resort cast members when we left.

Have a great stay and enjoy your grandson! :)

We did a similar thing to Doc. We needed one car seat, looked at renting, and then I bought a used baby seat for $40. We checked it on the plane, brought it back with us, and used it for two other weeks that my daughter flew to our house. It was less than renting one, and we got three weeks of use out of it, and therefore came out ahead. And it kept my DD from having to lug it through the airport.

On a different occasion, my DH was driving, but we were flying. He took a borrowed car seat in the car with him.

If you have AAA & rent through Hertz, you get a free car seat. We have done this twice in the past --very easy.

Careful about carseat rental as they are not well cared for and you have no idea if they have been in a crash.

Flying with his seat is the safest and least expensive option. If he is 2 he will have to have a seat anyway on the flight so might as well keep him safe. Britax makes a great rolling carseat cart that makes it a cinch to navigate through the airport with.

SotS

If a car seat has ever been in an accident, even a fender bender, it could fail in an accident. If the straps have ever gotten submerged or cleaned with any type of chemical, they could fail in an accident.

Please don't rent a car seat or buy a used one; there is no way to be sure that these life- saving devices have been treated properly.

To help with the decision, here is a link to a past DISBoard thread that talked about car seats on an airplane:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3072614

Worth a read.

Personally, we were happy to have our DD's seat on the aircraft. It provided a safe and familiar space for her to sit, and allowed us to strap her down during the evil two's ;) . She enjoyed having her own seat with her, and I would simply use the carry-on roller bag to haul the seat around with the handle up.

JUST BE SURE THE SEAT IS RATED FOR AIR TRAVEL BY THE FAA!! Not all are.

Good luck and have fun!

do you live close enough to them to bring the carseat with you? esp if they have 2 and you have room bring it with you then you have one child knows. if that will not work, I would but one either before you leave or as you arrive in Orlando

I would strongly suggest using a carseat on the plane for a 2 year old. Aside from being the safest option, it'll be more familiar and comfortable for them, and may allow them to fall asleep easier during the flight. Also, it'll keep them contained, and not trying to squirm away and wander about the plane, as some young children are apt to do!

If you definitely won't bring a seat on the plane, you could purchase an inexpensive seat, like a Cosco Scenara or Evenflo Tribute, from someplace like Amazon or Target online, and have it shipped to your resort ahead of time. For about $45-$60, you'll have a brand new seat, that you KNOW hasn't been in a crash, hasn't had the straps improperly cleaned (thus potentially compromising their structural integrity and safety), etc. Then you can either take it home with you, or donate it and leave it in Florida.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter