• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Renting a car in Ontario vs in Buffalo

castlefor2

Earning My Ears
I'm trying to price out what it would be to rent a car for 6 (4 adults and 2 kids) people vs flying. We are heading to Port Carneval in May 2012. My parents and my car only seat 5 so we will need to rent a mini-van to drive down together. I'm wondering if its cheaper/easier to drive to Buffalo (in 2 cars) and then rent a mini-van there to drive to Florida vs from Toronto. Has anyone ever done this?

Given that we will need to rent a mini-van in Florida to drive us around (not going to Disney World just doing the Disney Cruise) I think it would be cheaper (but longer) to drive down.

I'm trying to price out what it would be to rent a car for 6 (4 adults and 2 kids) people vs flying. We are heading to Port Carneval in May 2012. My parents and my car only seat 5 so we will need to rent a mini-van to drive down together. I'm wondering if its cheaper/easier to drive to Buffalo (in 2 cars) and then rent a mini-van there to drive to Florida vs from Toronto. Has anyone ever done this?

Given that we will need to rent a mini-van in Florida to drive us around (not going to Disney World just doing the Disney Cruise) I think it would be cheaper (but longer) to drive down.

You will need to check if you rent a car in Toronto that you can take it across the border without any problems. I know when we looked at renting a u-haul there were lots of complications in taking it across from the US to Canada.

I also think you should compare flight prices as unless you want to do the drive in one day, by the time you add in a couple of hotel rooms for both ways, the gas, meals on route etc, sometimes the flights can work out not being too much more.

If you want to rent a car to drive down there, check each agencies individual policies regarding crossing the border - My personal experience is that Hertz allows it with no affect on rates or mileage - Enterprise also allows it but significantly limits your mileage (so you would NOT want to rent an Enterprise car and drive it to Florida). I can't speak for any of the other rental companies.

I highly doubt you'd save money by driving two cars to Buffalo and then renting one there. Not when you take in to account the cost of parking two cars in Buffalo for the duration of your trip.

Even a mini van with 6 people and all your luggage would be a pretty tight fit for a 20hour+ drive I would think.

Would you consider flying out of Niagara Falls, New York ?
They have a sale on right now (2 for 1) until Nov 30th.
I don't know your exact dates or duration, but I've attached an image showing the price for 6 people.
You can pick up a Hertz car at Lakeland Airport (about half way between Tampa and Orlando) and drop it off at Port Canaveral .
This is what I am doing tomorrow. we are staying one night in the Country Inn And Suites. We then get a free shuttle to the Port. Upon our return, we get the hertz shuttle and once agin pick up a car and drive to Lakeland where we then stay an overnight in the Hilton Garden Inn (right across the street from Lakeland Airport.
Screenshot2011-11-24at63233PM.png

Would you consider flying out of Niagara Falls, New York ?
They have a sale on right now (2 for 1) until Nov 30th.
I don't know your exact dates or duration, but I've attached an image showing the price for 6 people.
You can pick up a Hertz car at Lakeland Airport (about half way between Tampa and Orlando) and drop it off at Port Canaveral .
This is what I am doing tomorrow. we are staying one night in the Country Inn And Suites. We then get a free shuttle to the Port. Upon our return, we get the hertz shuttle and once agin pick up a car and drive to Lakeland where we then stay an overnight in the Hilton Garden Inn (right across the street from Lakeland Airport.
Screenshot2011-11-24at63233PM.png

I got this email today as well! I wish I could get it to work for my dates!! I haven't booked flights for March yet, and be darned, I can get my flight home, but nothing there! We are looking from the 9th,10th, 11th or 12th to fly down and back on the 22nd, or 23rd!

I got this email today as well! I wish I could get it to work for my dates!! I haven't booked flights for March yet, and be darned, I can get my flight home, but nothing there! We are looking from the 9th,10th, 11th or 12th to fly down and back on the 22nd, or 23rd!

I don't know if this would work but there is a one way flight with Delta from Buffalo on Sun Mar 11th with 1 stop into Tampa for $117 + taxes or $138.40. Booking 2 for 1 on the return to Niagara Falls with Directair is $90 inc taxes so total $228 approx return. The issue is you have to get from Niagara Falls airport over to Buffalo airport to pickup vehicle. There may be a shuttle or something you could take or 2 vehicles and would need to pickup on return.

OUTBOUND FlightSun 11 Mar 2012| 6:54pmBUFto 12:17amMon 12 MarTPA| 1 stop| DL 1176DL 873 Show DetailsHide Details
6:54pm BUF 12:17am
Mon 12 Mar TPA 1 stop5h 23mATL1h 48m Layover
DL 1176
DL 873Economy (T)
Economy (T) View Seats

Price per passenger: $117.00 (USD)
Taxes/Fees: $21.40 (USD)
Subtotal per Passenger: $138.40 (USD)
Total for all passengers (1): $138.40 (USD)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter