Renting a car and going to seaworld and shopping ??

hanksgirl

Earning My Ears
So I am going to disney in 2014 and it will be my families first visit! Is it really worth it to rent a car for a day or two to go shopping at some outlets and maybe visit seaworld?? We also wanna go get some groceries for our stay?.. Please any tips and or idea and advice is welcome!!!

How long are you staying? How many are in your party & what are their ages?

I've considered renting a car for our upcoming trip to go to Sea World as well. There is an Alamo (I think) on property that will pick you up at your resort, take you to the car rental facility, and then bring you back when you return your car. I understand there is also a public bus that runs non stop from Downtown Disney to Sea World, and of course cabs are always an option.

I can't speak to the grocery shopping as I've never done it. I have heard others mention gardengrocer.com that will deliver groceries to your room.

So I am going to disney in 2014 and it will be my families first visit! Is it really worth it to rent a car for a day or two to go shopping at some outlets and maybe visit seaworld?? We also wanna go get some groceries for our stay?.. Please any tips and or idea and advice is welcome!!!

I'm renting a car for 1 day, just to take DD14 to the Florida Mall and outlet malls. It was worth it to rent a vehicle rather than take taxis or the bus. I figured in total I would lose about 3 hours transportation time to take the bus. I can get a car for $50 for the day. Taxis would cost roughly about the same! By renting a car I am on my own schedule and won't have to worry about making a bus time or waiting around for a bus then have to transfer and possibly wait for another bus.

If you check out the transportation board, they have lots of good code information you can use. I always rent a car when we go because I hate disney transportation, but its a personal choice.

We stayed at WDW for 9 nights during our last trip but rented a car for three days of that so that we could easily go to Universal and a few other places. I hated to give the car back when it was time!

We picked up the car at the Dolphin. It was easy and quick.

If possible, rent a car for the entire stay for all the reasons you named and because it's so convenient getting to and from the parks. Walk out of your room, jump in your car and head to the parks at your leisure. We usually rent at the airport so we can stretch out the last day of the trip.

If you rent a car, find a way to get to the Buena vista outlet mall. Seaworld is maybe 5-7 min east along I-4 from there. Behind the Buena vista outlets and surrounding it, are several restaurants ( including outback/carrabbas/lone star, etc) and a publix hidden away behind the mall. Down 192 in either direction are target/ walmart ( also a wal mart on sand lake road close to Seaworld) both of which have groceries and for the health conscious, there is a whole foods and cafe there as well, Also higher end restaurants all along the Dr Phillips area maybe 10 min away and on I Drive.

Enjoy your trip and dont be afraid to explore a little! there is a lot more to do down there other than disney, but you can easily spend your entire time there and not have to leave DIS property at all too.

Thanks all of u for you tips and advice!! We are going in December of 2014 and we are staying at POR for 10 days!! Me and my husband and also our DAughter will be 8 years old then! I really want to shop the outlet malls!! Are they really good prices or still really $$$ . I am from wisconsin so this will be big city shock for me to visit orlando!!

Since this thread isn't about theme parks attractions and strategies, and is more about visiting places in Orlando, I've moved it to the Orlando Hotels and Attractions board. :)

Orlando has great outlet shopping. I have gotten some great prices scouring the clearance racks! We live in FL but even when we lived in NH and flew down for a week at a time I always preferred renting a car. Parking is free at the parks if you are a resort guest and being able to come and go as I wanted without having to wait for a bus was worth it to me. Plus we like to eat at a lot of different hotel restaurants which is certainly possible using the WDW busses but it takes a good hour to get from point A to point B instead of minutes in a car!

Thanks all of u for you tips and advice!! We are going in December of 2014 and we are staying at POR for 10 days!! Me and my husband and also our DAughter will be 8 years old then! I really want to shop the outlet malls!! Are they really good prices or still really $$$ . I am from wisconsin so this will be big city shock for me to visit orlando!!

I suggest you get the car for the whole time, it really might work out the same price as for a few day verses a week. Also you might wan to check out ICE at Gaylord palms. Super cool, and we think it's really special. Have a super fun time.

We always rent a car for at least 2 days and do the outlets and some other stuff. It's easier to visit other resorts and stuff like that with a car. Outlet shopping is amazing (however, I'm Canadian, so the prices in the US are already loads better for me). You can rent with either Alamo or National as they have a Car Care Centre on site and they will pick you up and bring you back to your resort. Super easy. In 2011 we paid 25$ a day for a rental which was loads cheaper than taxis.

I just rented a car from Alamo for 10 days with airport pick up and drop off for a little less than $200 taxes fees and everything. I hate Disney Transportation so will always have a car when at Disney $200 totally worth it to me.

BTW I used the visa code from the transportation boards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter