Renting a car after cruise...returning at mco same day

rsjj

DIS Veteran
Hi there disboards family! Yet another question regarding car rental...shuttle from port...driving to mco...all on the same day.

Our return flight isn't till 6 pm...so we have practically the entire day...I think we've decided on visiting the space center near by, before heading to the airport.

Now. The logistics...So I understand there are couple car rental places near the port that offer shuttle services to pick up your car rental. Which ones? Is one better than the other? Rental codes...are those like discount codes anyone can use? And where can we find such codes?

Any help you can offer or direct me to is greatly appreciated!! Tia!! :flower:

Check out the transportation board for codes but we just did this today and used budget. Very easy.

I rented a car for each day from MCO to PC, and from PC the morning of our return to return to MCO later that night. Each rental was about $50-$60 for each day.

Try mousesavers.com for some codes.

Check out the transportation board for codes but we just did this today and used budget. Very easy.

Thanx for directing me there! Woa...wealth of info there!!! If I may ask...so there was a shuttle for you at the port? Was it a far trek for you? W/luggage and family (I'm assuming)? Lots of people going this route?

I rented a car for each day from MCO to PC, and from PC the morning of our return to return to MCO later that night. Each rental was about $50-$60 for each day.

Try mousesavers.com for some codes.

Thanx! I was thinking of getting the disney transfer from mco to PC...but it'll definitely be cheaper if we just rent a car for the day in the beginning as well...
If I may ask...which rental company did you use?

Very easy to do. I used Hertz, but whatever company you use, DO NOT prepay for tolls or use their "Plate Pass." Pay them yourself; it will be cheaper in the long run.

There are toll fees in Orlando? And what are plate pass?
Yes, the highway from MCO to PC has tolls. I think the total is $4 is each way, but I could be wrong. I think all are unmanned, so have exact change. PlatePass is what residents and rental car companies use to pay their tolls without having to stop and pay the toll. Each toll plaza is clearly marked.

Yes, the highway from MCO to PC has tolls. I think the total is $4 is each way, but I could be wrong. I think all are unmanned, so have exact change. PlatePass is what residents and rental car companies use to pay their tolls without having to stop and pay the toll. Each toll plaza is clearly marked.

Thanx for the heads up! So if I stop to pay the toll, I worn need the plate pass. But if I get the plate pass (like a card I put on the dash?), I can zip right thru the toll booth (w/out stopping)...is this correct?

The PlatePass uses the license plate of the vehicle or is in the vehicle; it is not something physical that the rental company gives you (at least Hertz does not). But if you use the PlatePass, some companies charge you a per day use rate (like $4.95) whether you use it or not AND the tolls you accumulate. Better to get a roll of quarters and just stop and pay.

My thoughts on rental cars... if it's a one day rental, go w/plate pass (ez pass, sunpass, whatever you choose to call it) as you almost break even and don't have to fish for quarters (we used ours for pressed pennies and got caught short!)... also, instead of lugging the entire family and all the luggage on the shuttle, i recommend the driver take the shuttle and pick up the car and come back for the family... much less hectic! From my experience and observation, at Canaveral, all the major car rental companies have shuttles which show up at the port, no need to reserve the ride. Also, earlier is better (even if you disembark separately, sending driver ahead) as the lines in the car rental offices get long fast, and most don't have kiosks, you have to wait on line!

I would check cost co for the price. I'm an agent and it is still cheaper for me to rent with cost co. I usually use them for my car rentals. And you automatically get a 2nd driver. And yes the lines are ridiculous as the rental so that is good advice about disembarking separately and sending one person to get the car.

I also agree on the great rates with Costco. We've rented out cars twice with Budget after our 2 cruises. The first time we went to the early seating for MDR breakfast. We made it onto the first shuttle for the rental. No line ups and it was quick. The second time we decided to eat at the buffet and left around 8:30. There were long line ups waiting for the shuttle and at the rental centre. Took us over an hour before we finally got into our rental car. We had no problems with the toll roads. We took a bag of quarters and paid them manually. Some lines had attendants.

Flight at 6pm, with MCO you want that full 2 hours for luggage and security. Takes time to return the car and don't forget filling up with gas. Takes about an hour to get from the coast to MCO and remember 528 is a straight shot, if there's an accident there's nowhere to go. So you'll want to leave the coast at about 2 (I'd leave earlier because I have zero interest in missing a flight).

When you count backwards and leave room for issues, what feels like a full day becomes much less of one. That timing is what kept us from Kennedy because it's a good amount of money for not that long of a day there in our opinion.

We have universal APs and with that sort of flight we just go there for two hours, get our last butterbeers and a rock cake for the flight, etc, and head to the endless security lines at MCO.

I agree with bumbershoot- Our flight was at 6:55pm on a Friday night- we did a same day rental from Budget from port to MCO. We got our car at the port by 830am and headed over to the Polynesian for breakfast at the Kona Cafe. Walked around the grounds, visited the shops. By 2pm we were on the road to find gas and return the car. Highways were busy and seemed to be a bunch of construction. By the time we returned the car, changed to go back to the cold weather, it was time to check the bags. Thankfully that line at Southwest wasn't bad. We ended up being selected for TSA Pre- that went quickly, thankfully, as we have spent over an hour at security, in line, on a Friday. We ended up waiting a bit, getting some dinner. I would rather wait at airport than miss my flight. And with Southwest they are mostly full to the northeast during April vacation, so there is no telling when you would be rebooked.

What are the exact amounts of the tolls and how many are there? We are renting a car Friday to drive from MCO to Cocoa Beach and forgot about toll roads. We don't have those here.

I don't remember exactly how many- 3 maybe, I'm sure someone here might have an exact number. They were $1.00 each. One was $1.25- not sure if that was because we stopped at disney.

I don't remember exactly how many- 3 maybe, I'm sure someone here might have an exact number. They were $1.00 each. One was $1.25- not sure if that was because we stopped at disney.

Thank you. I will have $1s, but I wanted to know whether I should bring some change too.

Thank you. I will have $1s, but I wanted to know whether I should bring some change too.
We just brought along a roll of quarters. I think we spent about $4.00 of it on our trip from Port Canaveral/WDW/MCO. Some of the tolls are $1.25, or $1.50, if I recall correctly.

My rental company had the sun pass so sail through and no need to slow down and no need for quarters we used dollar and Alamo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter