Rented the Dream Scooter just got back

Jeff,
Thank you so much for all the information and pictures on your experience with "The Dream".
It took a little convincing to get DH to agree to use a scooter on our upcoming trip to WDW and Disney Cruise. He was in a wheelchair for 10+ years and has had 2 major operations in the last year and after surgery and rehab has parked his wheelchair for good. However he still doesn't have the stamina he would need for this trip and all the walking it would involve.
Luckily, I found "The Dream" and his eyes lit up! :cool1:
He definitely loved the "Harley" look to it and said it wouldn't make him feel as tho he was back in a wheelchair. (he's gone thru a lot to get out of it)
Anyway, after booking it, I started reading some of the comments about it and was getting quite worried that it would cause a lot of problems.
After reading your comments and seeing the pictures posted here, my mind is more at ease.
I think for someone experienced with driving a scooter/power chair and who is larger, this scooter is worth the possible bus that might be full or a broken lift or the odd crabby driver. (he's had YEARS of dealing with crap like that)
He's a big guy so a more compact scooter wouldn't be as comfortable as this one obviously is (or as fun).
I'll definitely post about our experience when we get back.
One month from today and we leave!

The Dream rents for $40 a day (plus florida tax)
Free Delivery and pickup with 3 day rental.
Not sure how many they have, we didnt have a problem reserving one because we booked it 6 months before date.

This is all very helpful as we are going in Nov and were wondering about types of scooters. Thank goodness WDW has done so much to make these
work for those who need them!:idea:

I see Walker named as a rental company. Can someone provide me Disney's per day cost for scooter versus offsite companies? My mother will be coming with us this trip (next week!) and will need a scooter.

I see Walker named as a rental company. Can someone provide me Disney's per day cost for scooter versus offsite companies? My mother will be coming with us this trip (next week!) and will need a scooter.
If you look in post #2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread, you will find information about renting from the parks and also links to the companies that DIS posters most often report good experiences with. THere is a link to the FAQs thread in my signature.

I am looking into renting the Dream for our trip this Sept. I have used scooters before and always had an issue with them getting jerky... I am under the 300 mark (but not by a whole lot) and felt that the scooters got jerky because even though they say that they can carry up to 300, they really weren't up to it. SOOOO I Want to go to a more "heavy duty" scooter. I would have loved to see the pictures of the Dream in motion, but they say that the pictures are no longer available.... If the op still has them, I would like to see them... if not, has anyone else tried the Dream?

NOTE FROM MODERATOR:
AS OF MARCH 30, 2010, OVERSIZE SCOOTERS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED ON THE WDW BUSES. THIS INFORMATION WAS POSTED on MARCH 30 BY A WDW BUS DRIVER:
There is now a painted box at the wheelchair loading queue which is 30"X48" (which is the ADA standard). Your ECV MUST conform to those dimensions to ride the bus. http://www.access-board.gov/transit/html/Transfig1.html

If your ECV does not fit those dimensions, the driver is to call for a transportation manager who will explain alternate arrangements.
THE DREAM SCOOTER THAT THIS THREAD IS REFERRING TO IS LARGER THAN 30" x 48"

Edited to add:
I got a PM on April 4, 2010 from a poster, indicating that the DREAM scooter will fit into the box as long as the wheel is turned and that they can be loaded onto the buses. I do not have anything official about this, just the message I received.

IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT THE BUS LIFT IS RATED FOR 600 POUNDS according to what cranbiz posted before. So if the weight of the ECV plus the rider is more than 600 pounds, it is not safe to ride up or down on the buses with lifts.
This applies to any ECV, since the weight of an ECV or power wheelchair can be as much as 300 pounds without a rider. If the rider and any other items being carried on the ECV weighs more than 300 pounds, the weight will be exceeded.

THE RAMPS ARE RATED FOR 800 POUNDS, so if the weight of the ECV plus the rider exceeds that, that is too much weight for the ramps.

I have been in conversation with Scooter Vacations due to the fact that I rented the Dream for my 9/09 trip and wanted to order one for my 8/2010 trip. When I asked about the restrictions they informed me that the regulation have changed and that they are compliant. They have also been approved by Disney Management. Seems a though someone has some incorrect information. Has anyone seen the restriction postings at the bus stops. And a second question would be are their still the same restrictions for the lean tilt buses. I can see some problems with the older lift buses. If someone couls shed some light on this subject it would help for the 8/2010 trip.

I would ask them what the EXACT dimensions are of their scooter. If it will not fit in the dimensions mentioned above, I think you might want to get a different scooter rented, especially if you planned on using the buses for transporting it. I don't know that I would trust the word of the owners over the word of someone who is a driver of Disney buses.

I have been in conversation with Scooter Vacations due to the fact that I rented the Dream for my 9/09 trip and wanted to order one for my 8/2010 trip. When I asked about the restrictions they informed me that the regulation have changed and that they are compliant. They have also been approved by Disney Management. Seems a though someone has some incorrect information. Has anyone seen the restriction postings at the bus stops. And a second question would be are their still the same restrictions for the lean tilt buses. I can see some problems with the older lift buses. If someone couls shed some light on this subject it would help for the 8/2010 trip.

The regulations have NOT changed. The regulations Sue posted are ADA rules! They cannot be change without an act of Congress.

And if you read the post about the changes on Disney buses, you will see that they are testing it at a couple resorts now.

The company may have changed the scooters but the regulations have NOT changed, those dimensions are what is stated by the ADA, and all disney has done is decided to start sticking to what the ADA says.

ETA: I believe that the CM coming here is correct, and that the company is unaware of the changes.

The ADA Guidelines as far as size of the space and the definition of common wheelchair have not changed.
Actually, WDW has had these requirements listed in their Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities for as long as I can remember, along with the words that the wheelchair or ECV must fit "without forcing".

BUT, more information,
I got a PM on April 4, 2010 from a poster, indicating that the DREAM scooter will fit into the box as long as the wheel is turned, that they can be loaded onto the buses and several were loaded today. I do not have anything official about this, just the message I received.

IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT THE BUS LIFT IS RATED FOR 600 POUNDS according to what a bus driver posted on another thread. So if the weight of the ECV plus the rider is more than 600 pounds, it is not safe to ride up or down on the buses with lifts.
This applies to any ECV, since the weight of an ECV or power wheelchair can be as much as 300 pounds without a rider. If the rider and any other items being carried on the ECV weighs more than 300 pounds, the weight will be exceeded.

THE RAMPS ARE RATED FOR 800 POUNDS, according to the bus driver, so if the weight of the ECV plus the rider exceeds that, that is too much weight for the ramps.

Which in actuality is a problem.. because the heavier a person is, the more they need a heavy duty ECV which will mean more weight of the ECV to pull the duty.. it can be a vicious cycle.

I think I may have misunderstood what they told me as is related to the size issue. I understand that the ADA guidelines have not changed. I was informed that the Dream scooter will fit into the box. They even sent me a picture to show this. I am very concerned as I did have an issue in September with a drivers refusal to load the scooter. I'm concerned that I will not be able to use this product as it is the most comfortable ECV I have ever used. I am a larger person and am very comfortable when using it. With limited mobility from knee surgery and a Heart condition, it allows the freedom and comfort to enjoy Disney as others do. I have not asked to be in this position but deal with the cards that have been delt to me. I also have in the past loaded not only the Dream but my Pride ECV without being on it as I understand the weight restrictions of the lift systems on the older buses. I was told by several of the drivers that as Disney replaces the transportation fleet they will be more of the tilt / lean buses which makes it eaisier for all. If anyone has had any issues with the Dream please let me know. I appreciate this thread for all of us who truely want to enjoy Disney with our disabilities. Also has anyone needed to use the alternative when a Supervisor had been called regarding the loading issue. I have an email into Disney for clarification. Thank you all for your input..

The original poster who shared the change information is a WDW bus driver.
He is attempting to find out more complete informatoin, including what the other options may be.
We also need to know what constitutes 'not forcing' because if a rental company said it fits if you do 'x' but WDW considers doing 'x' to be forcing, they won't load it.
The company renting the Dream Scooter has indicated that their scooter does fit into the 'measurement box' and that they have been told it can be loaded.

One thing to keep in mind is the capacity of the lift, if the combined weight of the ECV plus the driver is more than 600 pounds, the lift is not designed to carry that much weight. I don't know about the tiedown strap specifications , but occupied wheelchair or ECV not to exceed 600 pounds is in the ADA/Department of Transportation Guidelines. Since the company renting the Dream Scooter says on their website that it can carry up to 500 pounds, it is not a stretch to think that some users will exceed the weight limit of the lift and should only use the ramp if they are allowed to board.
If close to the 600 pound mark, it is probably even more important ( whatever kind of ECV is being) used, to move to a bus seat. This is recommended for all ECV users.

ADDED CLARIFICATION APRIL 5, 2010:
This is a link to the current Transportation Guidelines for people with disabilities
In italics, this is the citation information and a quote with the definition of "common wheelchair" in the document:

[Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 49, Volume 1]
[Revised as of October 1, 2007]
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
[CITE: 49CFR37]
[Page 412-501]
*********************** TITLE 49--TRANSPORTATION
********* Subtitle A--Office of the Secretary of Transportation
PART 37_TRANSPORTATION SERVICES FOR INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES (ADA)
Sec.* 37.3* Definitions................
Wheelchair means a mobility aid belonging to any class of three or four-wheeled devices, usable indoors, designed for and used by individuals with mobility impairments,whether operated manually or powered. A ``common wheelchair'' is such a device which does not exceed 30 inches in width and 48 inches in length measured two inches above the 
ground, and does not weigh more than 600 pounds when occupied.
[56 FR 45621, Sept. 6, 1991, as amended at 58 FR 63101, Nov. 30, 1993; 
61 FR 25415, May 21, 1996; 63 FR 51690, Sept. 28, 1998]

Part 38, Accessibility Specifications for Accessible Transportation Vehicles lists the different sizes and spaces required in the vehicles. It does not list the "common wheelchair" size, but does refer back to the definitions in 37.3

The ADA Accessibility Guidelines for Transportation Vehicles uses the same "common wheelchair" definition.

The original ADA guidelines for the definition of common wheelchair did not consider/mention devices like this that can be made shorter by turning a wheel, so the definition could be interpreted to mean that as long as the device fits into a space no larger than 30 wide by 48 inches, it meets the definition.

There is a draft guideline, not in effect yet, which does not include a measurement for the common wheelchair definition.

Doing an internet search, I was able to find some bariatric (high weight capacity) ECVs that were shorter than the Dream Scooter, but also found a number that were longer and would not be able to be made shorter to fit into the 'measurement box.' I did not do a search of the WDW area rental places to see whether any companies rented any that were longer than would fit in the box.

As I mentioned before, it is VERY difficult for me and my service dog to fit in a bus with someone who is using the DREAM scooter. Twice I have been boarded with someone using this product. The first time the guest was not an experienced driver and rammed me in the back while attempting to maneuver into the designated space on the bus. The second time my SD had to dance around to prevent being hurt. The scooter takes up more room than any other EVC I have been paired with on a Disney bus. Between this particular scooter ( and I'm sure others that will be similar so no offense to this company or the people who like this scooter) and the ones with the huge shades, it makes it difficult for other guests to get around and IMO for safety. I hope the situation gets clarified and I also hope that "fitting into" the designated box does not mean fitting into with the wheels turned sideways as that is not the way the scooter maneuvers once inside the bus.---Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter