Rented points from Davidsfirst week of feb 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I don't think I've seen addressed is that David's business model relies on convincing as many owners as possible to deposit their points with him. I would wager that most owners who are willing to do additional legwork, however minimal, are not willing to settle for the $11/point that David offers. If, as an owner, I thought there were a possibility he might be coming back to me with change requests, I would be inclined to just donate the points to a local charity auction or find a relative who could use a vacation. Like I said, I just don't think the points David's sells belong to owners who want any hassle at all.

Non-refundable means non-refundable. Nobody should book a non-refundable rate that they can't afford to lose.

I think this is an important part of the model, and is the reason for the stated non-refundable policy.

To make the off the cuff, unstated exception to simply email an owner asking if they would be willing to change the name on a reservation because the original renter lost a child (or became pregnant with due date right around the planned travel), does not jeopardize the efficacy of the policy.

As I understand it, the OP was not asking for a refund -- just a different name on the reservation.

This is absolutely a very important point -- in my view these individual cases turn on individual facts.

But I disagree that we shouldn't judge someone on how they exercise their rights under a contract. That really goes to the core of what kind of business you are dealing with. I have directed people to David's in certain circumstances at work who have asked about the "whole point rental thing". Knowing what I know now about how he goes about actually conducting his business makes it less likely I will refer people to him and more likely to refer them to people such as you, who evidently inject a little more compassion into their business dealings.
IMO this would be no different than being upset with Chase for the same member for being late on the CC payment and declining to waive the late fees. One of my criticisms of DVC over the years has been their flexibility but inconsistency. They'll give one person a bunch of points back when they really should owe them nothing and the next nothing in a more deserving situation. Even with the AKV fiascos where they had to move people or they lost the animals on the savannah, they were very inconsistent. In some cases I'm told they both returned points beyond the actual difference AND gave free DP and for others, they only returned the points difference.

I admit that I am shocked David's has not received a cease and desist order as it seems pretty clear to me this is "commercial" renting

I also think a hard line may turn around and bite them. Lately I have noticed posters seem to be posting about renting from David's with the same tone they used when making a reservation with something like Expedia. Yes, there is a contract etc... But I don't think the casual new user realizes this is in no way "sanctioned" by WDW. So when Disney starts getting complaints they will be more likely to say "NO".

And it would not be that hard for them to follow the money.
Maybe, I've made the point before that I feel it's a rental and I'm pro rental for the most part. I think the technicality of the brokerage situation is the difference and in a sense it's really not much different than what happens on DIS and similar locations.

To make the off the cuff, unstated exception to simply email an owner asking if they would be willing to change the name on a reservation because the original renter lost a child (or became pregnant with due date right around the planned travel), does not jeopardize the efficacy of the policy.

I agree that a simple email request to one owner won't jeopardize anything. The question is, if this became a routine occurrence, would David's supply of points begin to shrink? I don't know. I'm not sure anybody posting here knows. But if David thinks they will, he is wise not to start up this slippery slope.

This thread has strayed quite far from the original topic of changing a rented DVC Reservation. The OP has received her answer, that a change is not permitted by her contract agreement. I'm going to go ahead and close the thread now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter