Rented a house to find out it is for sale

natorimom

Mouseketeer
Hello all we rented a vacation townhome in Encantada resort. After paying the deposit and filling out the booking forms, i went to check on the status of taxes and HOA fees. I found several listing for this home advertising it for sale. I contacted the management company that i rented from and they were not aware of it being for sale. I am now a little anxious about this transaction, and am wondering if i should ask to be moved to another property. The management company says if our time comes and we need to be moved they will move us. I want the choice of where i stay to be mine not theirs. Help me make this decision, what would you all do?

I would definately get my money back and find another place to stay. First they could actually sell the house before you arrive or worse, they could be showing the house with all your stuff in it while you are at the parks!

If it were me, I would be proactive and pick another house now if I was able to do that without penalty. That way you are in control.

The closer it gets to your vacation time, the fewer homes will be available...BUT - is this the rental of your dreams? How soon is your rental and is it likely the house will sell by then? These are things to take into account; and again, will there be a penalty to change right now?

Maddle

PS: ooo, I never thought about them showing the house while you are renting!

I have heard of this actually happening before, although if I remember correctly, they were renting from an owner, not a rental company.

I would say you need to pursue getting the company to move you. That would be devastating to get down there only to find out what you feared was true. Better to try and fix this now while you have options. Good luck and here's a little dust to help you out pixiedust:

Thanks for the good advice, i am thinking i need to be proactive now. I actually responded to the home owner on VRBO, but was handed over to the management company right away,to pay deposit and answer all questions. All correpondece have been through the company now and that is making me uneasy as they were not aware it was for sale. My vacation is August 11th 2011 and i have to make my final payment plus security deposit in two weeks. I am aleady in penalty phase, but it was a late rental as we just decided to go June 6th. This was not my first choice,but was offered this thru theowner when the one we ultimately wanted to book was not available. Hehas a few rental properties. I am thinking i won't get my deposit back so i might as well stay with this company. I will ask about the possibility of people viewing this townhome while we are there.

Hmmm...August 11th is pretty soon...it seems it would be unlikely that it would be sold before your rental. Maybe consider requesting a clause about no showings etc during your stay or something instead?

Thanks for the good advice, i am thinking i need to be proactive now. I actually responded to the home owner on VRBO, but was handed over to the management company right away,to pay deposit and answer all questions. All correpondece have been through the company now and that is making me uneasy as they were not aware it was for sale. My vacation is August 11th 2011 and i have to make my final payment plus security deposit in two weeks. I am aleady in penalty phase, but it was a late rental as we just decided to go June 6th. This was not my first choice,but was offered this thru theowner when the one we ultimately wanted to book was not available. Hehas a few rental properties. I am thinking i won't get my deposit back so i might as well stay with this company. I will ask about the possibility of people viewing this townhome while we are there.

Since you have had contact with the owner, I would inquire what the potential sale would involve. Contracts can and often are drawn up so that existing rentals are not affected even if the property does change hands. For me this wouldn't be alarming if that is the case. This is fairly common in resort areas.

Thanks everyone who adviced me, i contacted the owner as all of my previous communications was with the managment company. He informed me that he has a few properties for sale and that he has not had a serious offer so far on this property, he said there won't be anyone veiwing the townhome while he has rental guest and my reservations will be secure even if he gets a serious offer by my travel dates. I was also offered the opportunity to back out with no penalty, but i decided not to as he seemed so sincere and very willing to over extend himself by offering us 100% of our money back as well as a grocery welcome package. So encantada it is August 11th 2011:cool1::cool1:

Very good, sounds like a very responsible owner, glad to hear it worked out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter