Rental vs towncar

maxiesmom

The Mean Squinty Eye Works
I'm trying to decide between a towncar service and a rental car and would like opinions.

We are staying at the Swan from a Thursday night to Monday night. Arrival at MCO is scheduled for 830 pm, leaving at 600 pm. A towncar costs $235 before tip. We can book a rental for around $220.

I know the Swan charges for parking but am not sure how much??? We would also use the car at least once to go to a meal, but no for the parks as I will have an ecv. I'm also a little worried that we may not get the suv we would like arriving that late (I typically book with Alamo and do the skip the line booking).

Thoughts? Is there something I'm missing in all of this?

I would switch to Tiffany Towncars and save $35. They are $185 round trip. That $35 plus what you will save on parking would easily pay for transportation to your meal. You would save the hassle of getting and returning the car.

Parking at Swan will run you $25 plus tax. I'd agree with @barb969 change services and save some money that way, and avoid the hassle of the rental.

Parking at Swan will run you $25 plus tax. I'd agree with @barb969 change services and save some money that way, and avoid the hassle of the rental.

I looked at Tiffany. They do charge you if each guest has more than one bag. Does that include a carry on? If so, I know at least 2 of us will be over.

I looked at Tiffany. They do charge you if each guest has more than one bag. Does that include a carry on? If so, I know at least 2 of us will be over.
"At least 2 of us" how many people are you talking? I would not book a towncar with Tiffany if you have a party of 4 people with suitcases and carry-ons no matter what their website implies. When my group of 4 travels we book their SUV (request Max as a driver if you do!). You mentioned you may not get the SUV you like if you rent a car. You need to be comparing the price of a guaranteed type of vehicle, not generic aisle type vehicles if you think there is a chance you won't get what you need. Minivans are what we used for our group of 4 back when we rented and we always managed to get everything in. If you aren't a party of 2 or 3 neither of your transit options seems right, and you probably need to up your transit budget. If you don't want to do that Mears Connect is an option to Swolphin.

If you go rideshare depending on your group size you may need 2 cars instead of 1 XL. While XLs are bigger the last 2 I rode in during my FL trip did not safely fit the 4 us and our stuff, we had stuff jammed by our feet and in our laps. On the second ride one of our carry-ons slipped in the back and started to clobber my sister's head when we went around a corner, thank goodness we mostly caught it- we called Tiffany to arrange for the return trip to the airport after that experience. Guaranteed Suburban transport that way, plenty of space.

My DH and I usually have 2 large suitcases, 2 carry ons and a couple of small miscellaneous bags and do not pay extra.

Last edited:

I'm trying to decide between a towncar service and a rental car and would like opinions.

We are staying at the Swan from a Thursday night to Monday night. Arrival at MCO is scheduled for 830 pm, leaving at 600 pm. A towncar costs $235 before tip. We can book a rental for around $220.

I know the Swan charges for parking but am not sure how much??? We would also use the car at least once to go to a meal, but no for the parks as I will have an ecv. I'm also a little worried that we may not get the suv we would like arriving that late (I typically book with Alamo and do the skip the line booking).

Thoughts? Is there something I'm missing in all of this?
I would also check with the swan, i believe they charge for parking, but that might only be for valet

Four adults with four carryons and at least two checked bags. I think your choices are either to rent a minivan or find someone that will guarantee you a large SUV or minivan. I wouldn't chance an aisle rental, and it would definitely be two ubers.

Four adults with four carryons and at least two checked bags. I think your choices are either to rent a minivan or find someone that will guarantee you a large SUV or minivan. I wouldn't chance an aisle rental, and it would definitely be two ubers.

I book with FL Tours and they have always picked us up in an suv or limo. The limo is out of service, so I'm sure they would get us with an suv. Sounds like that is what I am sticking with unless a rental drops a lot.

I've done both - town car service and car rentals. We prefer the car rental for longer trips, even if we pay a little more. We like the freedom of being able to go where we want, when we want (including off property). If the buses are slow, which they sometimes are, we can use the car to get around. Sometimes, the car stays parked. It just depends. For shorter trips, we will do car service if it is a significant savings over the car rental.

When is/was your trip? What did you decide?

Just returned yesterday from WDW. High praise for We Drive You Fly. Excellent service. I looked at the usual recommended options here. I found their website to be the easiest to navigate and the price with gratuity was clear. They text you the day before and then and hour before. Your driver will text you when they are on their way. Neriel and Nestor were phenomenal!

Just back yesterday. I ended up going with a rental thru Costco/Alamo. The suv I had booked was a little small, and they were nice enough to give me a free upgrade.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter