Rental Rates/Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.
.... The Rumors and News board would be proud of us...we have a seven page thread running with no real end in sight.

What percentage of members have ever rented out points? [/B][/QUOTE]

UT oh, I sense yet another poll coming.

Originally posted by KNWVIKING
.... The Rumors and News board would be proud of us...we have a seven page thread running with no real end in sight.

sweat.gif

This thread is tame compared to the one going on over at the Resorts Board about someone's bad stay at the All Star Sports. The moderator deleted a couple of nasty posts from the thread but they're still trying to pick fights over there!
laugh.gif

This thread is tame compared to the one going on over at the Resorts Board about someone's bad stay at the All Star Sports. The moderator deleted a couple of nasty posts from the thread but they're still trying to pick fights over there!

Running to check it out...

oooh! Fight! Fight!

Boy am I immoral...

I only rent weekdays, the difference in points makes it crazy to rent weekends.

The weekend days I go over and stay in the Portofino or Hard Rock so that I cna enjoy UA and IOA.

I understand paying a premium for weekends, but double?

As for changing the rules regarding rental of points; fat chance, legally a contract was accepted by both parties and if one party changes it, it would be considered a breach.

Andrew

I understand paying a premium for weekends, but double?

Hopefully I understood this correctly. They can reassign points to any given time period, so, in reality they could make the weekend points the same as the weekday points, BUT, the value of the week would have to stay in the same point amount.
So, if a week in a studio cost 160 points but, Sun-Thurs. were 80 points and Fri and Sat were 40 points each night, reallocating them would be 22.8571 ( and then some) each night rather than the 16 points per night for the Sun-Thurs. nights. I can tell you we would hear a lot of howls if that happened.

They can also reallocate points in any season as long as the points for all the seasons had the same total. Adventure season could drop 20 points per week but, would have to increase in one or more seasons to off set the drop. It has happened at least once since I have been a memeber.

Originally posted by Jen D
Running to check it out...
oooh! Fight! Fight!
whoohoo!
ukliam2.gif
wait up, Jen D! i'm coming to watch too.

(aww... oh well, all the "fighting" posts were removed, guess i gotta go read the debate board to see some action ;) )

I agree with rich. Its not right to make two reservations and then wait to see which one you need.. It means , I am blocked out of that time slot. thats bull **** . we all should play by the rules. I quess some people feel INTITLED. Just the same way they should not follow the speed limit.. This sh#t just makes me crazy , but I guess thats the way it is today.. NOT IN MY WORLD.!!!!! All I have to say is .. Play by the Rules. and everyone( well almost everyone) will be somewhat happy??.......dave

Dave, what "rules" do you want people to play by? The ones that you make up? Because everything described here has been completely within the DVC rules. There's no rule that says you can't reserve two rooms, then cancel one. Just the opposite. If you don't want to get blocked out, then call at your 11-month window, just like everybody else has to do.

the way i look at it, i pay for my points and maintanence fees every month and i will do whatever i want to with my points. if i want to rent them all out then that is my choice, if i want to use them all my self that is my choice. if it takes me booking at my home resort 11 months out and wanting to try somewhere diffrent and at 7 months out get a room at the resort i want to stay at that is what i am going to do,to ensure that i have a room.until someone makes my monthly payments on my contract, i will be doing what i want to with my points as long as DVD has no problems with it,i dont worry what others have to say.:p

nice.way to go capt....tom.. all I say is play by the rules ..the rules could be anything .......... dave

Gail raises an interesting point -- Be careful what you wish for. If DVC does reduce the amount of points needed for weekends, then the points for weekdays will go up. ;)

Originally posted by PamOKW
Gail raises an interesting point -- Be careful what you wish for. If DVC does reduce the amount of points needed for weekends, then the points for weekdays will go up. ;)
Good point. That's why we did a small add-on, to give us some wiggle room just in case there are adjustments on point values.

So what your telling everyone is that because they're your points & you pay your dues & you're not breaking any rules, then you have no responsibilty or accountability to the rest of us.

Interesting.

I've just become a very generous boss. I'm going to send my employees to WDW. But for just one night, and in three groups. Now, the three weeks between the end of Thanksgiving & the beginning of Christmas week are very popular weeks,at low points. I'm going to call at 11 months and use MY points and book 12 studios for Wednesday nite,then wait a week,book 12 more, wait another week and book the last twelve. I've booked 36 studios over three weeks. How many people have I screwed ? How many families looking to get a full week in can't because I excersized my RIGHTS ?

But I would never do this.

that is exactly what i am saying.if i make my ressie at 11 months out and then decide i want to stay somewhere else and at 7 months out i cannot get a room at the particular place i want to stay,then i still have a room for me and my family.i do not break any rules according to DVC, so why should other people try to tell me i am doing something wrong, or i can only book 1 room instead of 2 that i may need.:rolleyes:

I get a kick out of the " I own it, I can do what I want with it crowd ". They believe that no one can tell them what to do. That they have no responsibilty to anyone but themselves. Try to get them to understand what responsibility to someone other than themselves means and you get called an elitist snob.
l
I'll tell you what, if you own your own home try adding an addition on to it without getting a permit. Try building right up to the road you live on. You will find that there can be all kinds of restrictions on what you are allowed to do with what you own. Many of the restrictions are there because reasonable people have gotten together and decided that even when you own something you may have a responsibilty to those around you whose interests you may be infringing upon.

So please don't keep up with the I own my points I'll do whatever I please argument. It only identifies you as being in the AFM (all for me) club, instead of DVC.

Oh and by the way, I do belong to an exclusive club. It is open to all races,and sexes, regardless of color but it is and should be restricted to the members who have paid the $ to belong. But if you don't pay the buy in, and the subsequent dues you do not belong. Now should someone be allowed to stay there thru CRO, or perhaps a renter who has picked up points from a Member who couldn't use them; Yes;fine. But the average Joe should not be able to stay because a small ,but active, group of members are using their membership as a commercial enterprise.

I don't think this is a thread that will ever be decided one way or another. Renting will go on. Money will be made. But, perhaps, one person will think twice before booking vacations that they don't intend to use. Maybe one person will stop and wonder about how their actions can affect some one else. Maybe all the flames will have been worth it.

Maybe I missed something, but what Viking said regarding sending his employees, I don't see the problem because the nights are being used. It's not like he is saving the days and then seeing if he can sell the nights. If I decided to send my employees, I don't see the problem booking the rooms for them. What I have a problem with is the people (and I don't know who they are and whether they are on these boards or not) that book 5 night vacations with the hopes of renting them out on E-Bay or anywhere else. Even if you put your points up for rent, get a renter, then book the room, I don't have a problem with that either. But booking up space with no intention of using it and not having a renter is where I think the problem is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter