• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rental from Tampa, Airport in 2 weeks - need a better deal

mousefanmichelle

DIS Veteran
HI there - I am trying to find the best deal for a car rental for our trip in 2 weeks. I have one reserved from Alamo but to me the price seems steep - full sized car for 8 nights is $250. I think I can do better but I don't know how. Any tips????? Any codes????? Anything to help me get a better deal than $250?????

Please help!

TIA!
Michelle

The last time we rented from Tampa airport we got our best deal within 7 days of our flight. Dont give up hope! Did you check Dollar and Thrifty?

I just plugged random May dates into the carrentalsavers.com (I did May 8- May 16) and the lowest I see for full size is $189.11. Maybe try that site with your exact info and see what you come up with?

I actually went thru Expedia and Alamo had the best rate. I've been checking Expedia daily - should I go through the specific car rental company for a better deal?

The rate I posted was also Alamo (although again I just plugged in random dates 2 weeks from now). Using that site you still book through the actual company (I have an Alamo reservation and used my Alamo Insiders number so I can check in online and bypass the counter when we arrive), the site just finds the best rates using valid codes. I still check daily for my July trip to see if I can find anything lower. It doesn't cost anything to input your info to the site and it doesn't cost anything to make a reservation through it.

Thanks - I did use that website and so far I got $201 - which is less than what I am reserved for now. I will keep checking. Thank you for your help Kj2mom :-)

So far I have come down $25 from my original reservation. I think of it as a meal saved for taking a minute to plug in my dates. I am currently sitting at $213 for my full size, hoping maybe it will come down under $200 by the time the trip arrives but it is 4th of July so I know I may have to be happy with what I have!

Are you Costco members? I got a decent rate out of Tampa through Costco travel.

Yeah, check Costco (or BJ's) for deals, keeping checking daily for lower Alamo rates (are you using coupon codes?), and the day before, go to priceline.com and "name your price" that is below your best deal. It's worked several times for me.

How does name your price work for car rentals? Do you name the total price you want to pay and that includes all of the fees/taxes? Just want to be sure I know what I am doing and not end up actually paying more because I do it wrong. Thanks!

How does name your price work for car rentals? Do you name the total price you want to pay and that includes all of the fees/taxes? Just want to be sure I know what I am doing and not end up actually paying more because I do it wrong. Thanks!
You say what you want to pay per day. I usually start low and work my way up. But it will tell you the total price before you submit your bid so you don't pay more than you want.

Yeah, check Costco (or BJ's) for deals, keeping checking daily for lower Alamo rates (are you using coupon codes?), and the day before, go to priceline.com and "name your price" that is below your best deal. It's worked several times for me.

How do I get an Alamo coupon code?

How do I get an Alamo coupon code?

When you go on the Costco website you can see what their Alamo coupon code is but you will have to have your Costco membership. I would also register as an Alamo Insider because their codes are very similar to Costco. In fact, I think when I checked the Insider cost was around $3 less than Costco. This would also mean you can skip the counters and go straight to the row of cars to pick the one you want.

When you go on the Costco website you can see what their Alamo coupon code is but you will have to have your Costco membership. I would also register as an Alamo Insider because their codes are very similar to Costco. In fact, I think when I checked the Insider cost was around $3 less than Costco. This would also mean you can skip the counters and go straight to the row of cars to pick the one you want.

Additionally ... IIRC ... the COSTCO/ALAMO code ... allows a second driver for no extra fee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter