• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rental Car - where to start?

tiggerbaby

Earning My Ears
I've never rented a car before? Is there a website that I can go to to compare prices of the different companies?

I'm still debating whether I should take a cab or rent a car. I will be staying in Emerald Island resort if that makes a difference.

Do you have access to any discount coupons for the car rental companies? Costco, Sam's Club, AAA, Entertainment Book are a few options I can think of to locate coupons.

Then just go to the various websites and enter your travel dates, pick-up and return times, vehicle type and check any other appropriate areas that apply. Even if you have discount coupons/codes, try different options at each rental company to see what rates are available. Sometimes, there is a minimal rate increase from one vehicle class to another (economy to compact or compact to mid-size). It just depends on the vehicle reservation forecast for each vehicle class at each company.

If you are staying offsite, a rental car probably would be a good idea. Some resorts offer shuttles (most at additional cost), but their schedules usually leave a lot to be desired. Remember, WDW parking is $14 per day. Save your receipt if you park hop or leave and return to the same park in the same day.

Edited to add:

I *think* there is a taxi fare calculator somewhere--not sure if it's on these boards or floating about in cyberspace--that could give you a good idea of the cost of a taxi. Best guess it would be at least $20 per day, plus gratuities. I'm not sure where Emerald Isle is located or the taxi rates, but most of the rates I've been seeing in various places are $2.50 to $3.00 for flag drop, plus $1.50 or so per mile. You'll also have to allow extra $$ for traffic delays--the meter keeps ticking even when you're stuck in traffic!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter