Rental Car vs. Happy Limo-opinions please

IFlossU

DIS Veteran
Last time DH & I cruised we did the DCL bus because for the 2 of us it was just easy.

This time we are a family of 4, and I would like to:

#1-save money
#2-arrive at the port as early as possible

I'm wondering what other people have found to be the cheapest and easiest transportation. Rental car or private car?

I see that it appears relatively easy to return the rental and get the shuttle to the port. Is it just as easy to get a shuttle and car for the return trip back to MCO?

Your experience or opinions please :)

The past couple of cruises we have booked a rental car through Budget. Picked it up at the airport and dropped it off in Port Canaveral. Then they shuttle you to the cruise. Then they pick you up after the cruise and we picked up a new rental car and then dropped it off the next day at the Embassy Suites on Hotel Plaza Blvd. It has worked out well and we can make grocery stops. The rental on the way back has always been cheaper than the rental there for some reason.

Was the process of getting the shuttle after the cruise easy? Managing the luggage etc?

I have the same questions, and would like to know what the limo services are charging.

I looked at Budget a few days ago, and a full-size car, from MCO to Port Canaveral was $80. I didn't check on the return yet, but I was thinking that was cheaper than the limo.

When I checked Happy Limo, it was over $200 for 5 of us (partly because they charge for each car seat, each way) but there are plenty of other car services to choose from, so shop around. We got a great deal and amazing service from Spaceport Transport and I've seen many others get great reviews here too. I can't imagine anything being more convenient than the car service. Each leg they were waiting for us, not the other way around. We barely ever had to lift our luggage either, because the driver was so helpful..

Was the process of getting the shuttle after the cruise easy? Managing the luggage etc?

You do have to get your luggage from the customs area and then the shuttle pickup is right outside the terminal. Then the driver of the shuttle loaded them and unloaded them onto the shuttle.

The shuttle driver is usually already there when you get of fthe ship. They just do a continuous loop between two drivers. after they drop off they go pick up more passengers. But we also confirmed with ours that we would be getting off the ship around a certain time.

We usually just drop off our stroller and one suitcase to the Disney hotel we are staying at after the cruise to store for us before we leave for the cruise. Then it is already there when we arrive at the hotel. It is an extra step, but then we don't have to take anything extra with us on the ship.

Also, I have not tried this yet, but I have heard that Budget will let you store your carseats there if you are picking up a rental from them after the cruise.

Also, I have not tried this yet, but I have heard that Budget will let you store your carseats there if you are picking up a rental from them after the cruise.

Totally didn't think about car seats :eek:

I know some rental car companies offer car seats. Does anyone know this off the top of your head?

We rented a car and it was super easy - it great and so easy. My husband dropped all of us and our luggage off at the cruise terminal, then I checked us all in while he returned the rental car. He then jumped on the shuttle and met us back at the port, and we then walked right on to the ship - perfect timing. On the return, we grabbed our luggage and rather than wait for him to go get the car and come get us, we all just jumped on the shuttle over to the car rental agency. We also just rented a car seat for my DD from the rental car company each way - it was $10 for the day - which was nice not only because we didnt' have to worry about lugging our own, it looked brand new! I remember it was very inexpensive, no drop fees, and worked out so well that I would do it again. Also, as our flight was late in the day, we were able to do some sight-seeing before returning the car to the airport.

Budget does offer car seats for $10 per day. Since we would need 2 for before and after the cruise, we didn't want the extra expense. Before the cruise we are keeping the car for 2 days, so I would rather keep the $60 :).

We always go the Happy Limo route and have never had any problems with them. Love the ability to be picked up and droped off as a family without the extra work the rent a car service takes up. It might cost a little extra but I like having no responsibilities and being 100% on vacation and taken care of.

We rented a car and it was super easy - it great and so easy. My husband dropped all of us and our luggage off at the cruise terminal, then I checked us all in while he returned the rental car. He then jumped on the shuttle and met us back at the port, and we then walked right on to the ship - perfect timing. On the return, we grabbed our luggage and rather than wait for him to go get the car and come get us, we all just jumped on the shuttle over to the car rental agency. We also just rented a car seat for my DD from the rental car company each way - it was $10 for the day - which was nice not only because we didnt' have to worry about lugging our own, it looked brand new! I remember it was very inexpensive, no drop fees, and worked out so well that I would do it again. Also, as our flight was late in the day, we were able to do some sight-seeing before returning the car to the airport.

So your husband didn't have to be with you to check in at the port & get your boarding number?

Budget does offer car seats for $10 per day. Since we would need 2 for before and after the cruise, we didn't want the extra expense. Before the cruise we are keeping the car for 2 days, so I would rather keep the $60 :).

Just made our reservation with Budget using Y937800 code...1 way from WDW to Port was around $55 and port to WDW was $50. Both trips were for a premium car. Car seat was extra $14 so for $28 we opted to bring our own since we will need it for excursions anyway.

So your husband didn't have to be with you to check in at the port & get your boarding number?

That is correct! It was so easy - I just had all of our travel documents (passports, online check-in, etc.) and I walked up to the counter by myself and checked us in. Now, that was on our cruise in 2007 - I'm not sure if that is still the case, but it was at the time. Hopefully some more recent cruisers can tell us if this is still the case.

Thanks for all the help so far. Our flights to Orlando don't arrive until 8:30 at night. So I don't know if we would want to rent a car and drive to the port that night, or wait and go in the morning. Has anyone had experience with this?

Just made our reservation with Budget using Y937800 code...1 way from WDW to Port was around $55 and port to WDW was $50. Both trips were for a premium car. Car seat was extra $14 so for $28 we opted to bring our own since we will need it for excursions anyway.

party:

:thanks:

:love1:

I have a fistful of codes for every car rental place and couldn't find a cheap one way from port to MCO. Cheapest I could find was around $90 for a compact. It seems most of the codes weren't valid because of Columbus Day weekend. :eek:

Thanks to the code listed above I was able to reserve an intermediate SUV for less than $50.00. Way cheaper than $140 for Disney transfers one way or $100-$120 for a shuttle company.

THANK YOU!!

:woohoo:

:disrocks:

party:

:thanks:

:love1:

I have a fistful of codes for every car rental place and couldn't find a cheap one way from port to MCO. Cheapest I could find was around $90 for a compact. It seems most of the codes weren't valid because of Columbus Day weekend. :eek:

Thanks to the code listed above I was able to reserve an intermediate SUV for less than $50.00. Way cheaper than $140 for Disney transfers one way or $100-$120 for a shuttle company.

THANK YOU!!

:woohoo:

:disrocks:

Yeah! So glad to help. I actually found that code on mousesavers website
:banana:

Thanks for all the help so far. Our flights to Orlando don't arrive until 8:30 at night. So I don't know if we would want to rent a car and drive to the port that night, or wait and go in the morning. Has anyone had experience with this?

We spend the night at MCO Hyatt an either use Disney transfers or Happy Limo. Look at last minute travel .com . Look at airport area 4 stars & compare photos with Hyatt website to make sure it is the right hotel. We got ours for $128.76 for June. If you are interested in Happy Limo call and ask for Diane she was very helpful with our plans.

I would wait and go in the morning. We rented from Hertz for $40 and dropped the car off and they had a free shuttle to the ship for us. There are not many hotels near the port and the Hotels in Orlando are nicer.

Hertz was super helpful!! We will definitely rent a car again - the ability to stop at the WalMart and get pool floats to use at Castaway Cay and buckets to make a sand castle were SUPER duper enjoyable!!!!!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter