Rental car vs bus and AK/BB question

We are going smaller than a minivan. Just a full size car.

The only thing I am really hung up on about renting right now is the fact I will have to drive from the airport. I looked into the rentals on Disney property and they are higher than I want to pay for the convenience.

there will be at least 2 days during the week where we will hit a water park and a theme park on the same day. The rest will be one park all day.

We rented through Dollar using their "City Specials" and a van is quite a bit cheaper than a full size car. We use Dollar Express and go directly to the garage. Last summer, we were at the DHS gate just over 45 minutes after the plane landed.

I'm firmly in the car camp. I've had too many experiences waiting 40-60 minutes for buses and then another 10-20 while they are loaded. I'd only consider not renting a car if I was at a monorail resort. We usually bus to MK and that's about it. Everywhere else we find parking to be faster.

We almost always get a car now. We stayed at POR a few trips back, we consistently waited 30-45 minutes for a bus to the park we were going. I probably wasted hours on that trip just waiting for buses and that doesn't include the travel times.

Our last trip to POFQ in Nov 2013 the MK buses were just awful. We had a car but decided to take the bus to MK. Waited 25 minutes, only one bus came for MK and it wasn't nearly enough for everyone waiting. 15 minutes later it was still loading scooters with no 2nd bus in sight. We gave up and drove. Just missed rope drop show (again).

I've read they've installed bus arrival screens at the bus stops now. Hopefully they are improving Port Orleans bus problem.

Last edited:
We didn't have a car for a couple nights on our last trip - once leaving MK during PM EMH and once leaving DTD. I will always rent a car because my one of my worst memories for that trip is watching bus after bus go by after a long day, with my feet killing me, and none of them being for my resort. I just don't have the patience for it.

That said, we will definitely take Disney transport for the day we are hopping directly from DHS to Epcot since it is relatively easy and quick to do and we might for one of our MK mornings when we have a pre-opening ADR since people seem to be saying there may be issues getting from the parking lot that early?? If we do bus it that day, I definitely won't be staying for Wishes so we can try to beat the crowds back to the busses.

Thats the kind of input I was looking for. Great information. I've enjoyed Disney transportation for the most part. its when it fails it really can screw up a morning or evening. We nearly missed an AM ADR last time because they didn't show up at Pop even though we had informed them about our ADR a day in advance. There was also an issue waiting for a bus to show up at MK on our final day there. We waited nearly 60 minutes for it to arrive and barely made our ME bus back to the airport.

I should also mention that we are staying at CBR and I have heard of several instances of buses just passing you by because they are full.

We've done both, and I love having a car. I hate hate hate waiting for the buses -- so eager to get going in the morning, so tired (with whiny kids) when it's time to go back to the hotel. I like driving ourselves from the airport too -- again, too impatient to wait for Magical Express!

We have visited the world 5 times and done the bus system for 3 of those visits. This time we are considering a rental car to get around a little bit quicker. There are 5 of us. Two adults and 3 children 13 or under. Is it dumb to get a rental car? Will it save me THAT much time?

Also, is there a bus route from AK mid day to BB?

We drive everywhere at WDW. Taking a monorail or ferry is really no problem at all and part of the adventure for us. Where else in everyday life do get to ride one? For a kid even the tram ride can be fun! Plus if you get the car you do not to worry about things like "is there a bus route from AK to BB?" When you're ready you just jump in your car and go :cool2: .

We rented through Dollar using their "City Specials" and a van is quite a bit cheaper than a full size car. We use Dollar Express and go directly to the garage. Last summer, we were at the DHS gate just over 45 minutes after the plane landed.
Thanks for the heads up. I had a car reserved through Dollar already. Went and checked prices on Minivans and you were right. About 20 bucks cheaper for the week. I altered it to a minivan.

Just hit me, I assume that if we decide to rent a car we need to contact Disney to cancel the DME reservation right?

Just hit me, I assume that if we decide to rent a car we need to contact Disney to cancel the DME reservation right?
You should, it's just a phone call. If you don't cancel they may hold the bus for a bit for you since they have your flight information. That could hold other people up.

Obviously don't put the DME tags on your luggage. :)

We rent a car every year!! I don't think we would go without renting one. The convenience outweighs standing in line and waiting for a bus. We do go to several resorts to eat, and it is so much quicker.

I'm a car rental person too, I would not do WDW without one. You will save time. Convenience is in the eye of the beholder though. To some, convenience is not having to worry about driving and leaving it all up to Disney. For others, like myslef, convenience is coming and going on my own schedule, not having to wait in a line for a bus and not having to stand on a bus.

The exception to this would be if you are on a monorail resort, in that situation I would consider skipping the rental. I'm staying at WL this year and still getting a car, I just won't use it for MK.

We have done both. By far we love having our own vehicle. We typically stay on the monorail loop, so driving to MK has not been an issue for us. We love the convenience of hopping in our car when we are ready. We love being able to not have to worry about ADR's and working out our schedule to make them on time. Staying on property gives you free parking anywhere on property so that is a moot point. The one and only down side is someone has to ride in the car and miss out on the enjoyable ride back and forth to the airport on MDE.

We have visited the world 5 times and done the bus system for 3 of those visits. This time we are considering a rental car to get around a little bit quicker. There are 5 of us. Two adults and 3 children 13 or under. Is it dumb to get a rental car? Will it save me THAT much time?

Also, is there a bus route from AK mid day to BB?

I have nothing to add other than to say it's so nice to see another Chiefs fan!!! They're nonexistent where we are. :)

We prefer Disney transportation (including from FW, where most people swear that you need a car).

My aunt/uncle stayed in FW the last time we were and chose to drive while we took the bus. For everywhere except MK, they beat us to the gates by 10-15 min. (They took the boat with us to MK, simply because parking and taking ferry/monorail doesn't make any sense when you're only a boat ride away at FW). For us, for 10-15 min, we prefer not to bother. We have to drive the 18 hrs to/from Disney, so we just park and let Disney do the driving.

There is a caveat to this, going to other resorts for meals can be a pain without a car. We don't usually travel for just a meal though (ie we'll already be at EP if we have dinner at a Boardwalk resort...)

Even for MK? The main thing I worry about MK is the fact you take the ferry or the monorail. Kind of like getting in line to get in line.

For me, yes even to MK. Someone mentioned recently what a neat entrance to MK it is, to see the castle from the ferry. And it is. The bus stop isn't right in front, there's a walk, it seems to be annoyingly and gradually uphill, and I inevitably am dropped at almost the farthest spot. Is rather get to the lot early so I can park close up, walk to ttc (no need to tram if you are there early enough to get up close), get on monorail or ferry, and go.

The only thing I am really hung up on about renting right now is the fact I will have to drive from the airport. I looked into the rentals on Disney property and they are higher than I want to pay for the convenience.

The drive is about the easiest drive ever. Follow the airport signs to the road you want to take. Going to wdw we use 417. For universal we use 528. Make sure you don't agree to use the car rental's toll pass, have some ones and a roll of quarters. Follow the signs, get on the road, go. Hit wdw property, follow the signs to your resort area then your resort. You don't even need gps on property, just know where you started and where you're going, and follow the signs.

It's not needed, but you can. At the airport you aren't assigned a bus, and on the way to the airport they will leave without you if you aren't there. Do it once you've absolutely decided.

Our last visit was at the Cabins at Fort Wilderness. It was nice to be able to park the rental vehicle right outside the door to the cabin, not 10 steps from bed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter