Rental car on Grand Cayman?

eeyorekjs7

Mouseketeer
Has anyone rented a car on Grand Cayman to explore different beaches? Any information would be helpful! Thanks.

I am thinking about it. We are going next week on the Western cruise. I have been to Grand Cayman before, about 10 years ago, and am somewhat familiar with the island.

I'd like to be able to take my kids to Stingray City, Hell, the turtle farm, and 7 mile beach.

I'll let you know how we end up.

I think your best bet is to rent from AVIS Cico Cayman , they have an office right near the port and they have all inclusive rates so you don't have to fill the car with gas before you return it or pay extra for your driving permit. They usually have the best prices and nice new cars.

We've rented from them for a long time (used to own timeshare in Grand Cayman)..You can sometimes find slightly better rates elsewhere but I'd rather be sure I'm getting a great car that won't break down in the middle of nowhere. Some of the "Island Rentals" are rather questionable and you see them from time to time on the side of the road:( Not something I'd want to deal with when I'm trying to get back to my ship on time:rolleyes:

Driving there is fine, safe and beautiful. You drive on the left by the way:D There is a great beach guide on Cayman Islands Discount Guide under the free section... I love Rum Point!!

Thanks for the information! We'll definitely try Avis!

jerseycruisers- I can't wait to hear how your day at Grand Cayman goes. Have a great trip!

Hi!

I reserved a car through their internet site, and they confirmed it by the next morning.

It will be a lot of fun.

Thanks again, Wavegirl.

Wavegirl,

Sorry about sidetracking this post, but it sounds like you are very experienced with Grand Cayman and the transportation opions. I would normally PM you, but perhaps your response would also help the original poster and other persons decide about car rentals, so here goes... (anyone else please chime in)

We're doing Stingray City in the AM (and have our choice of either being dropped off at 7-mile beach, or the tender pier before Noon).

Since we have to tender to the ship by 4:00 P.M., we would like to either do:

- Rum Point -

or

- Hell, the Turtle Farm, and additional swimming/snorkeling -

(if we had enough time we could hit one of the spots on the way back like Cheesburger Reef, Eden Rock or Devil's Grotto)

We want to decide which option based upon recommendations and time on activity.

It seems Hell and Turtle Farm are a short hop from 7-mile beach, and cabs would be everywhere (and perhaps the bus?).

Getting to, and returning from Rum Point without a car seems more risky (I don't know if the bus goes that far), and a cab could could be very expen$ive???. However, I've head so much about the scenery at Rum point there that it would be a shame to miss too.

What is your transportation and other "recomendations", given we have only about 4 hours left to make the tender?

jerseycruisers-

We are cruising on October 11-18. We're taking my parents who have never been on a cruise before, so I'm trying to get a head start planning so that it will be really fun for them. If you don't mind, let me know after your cruise what else you really liked. We have only been on the Wonder, so everything on the Magic is new to us!

Hi eeyore!

I'd be happy to get back to you. We were on the Magic eastern in Nov 2001, and now the Western. I like to get adventurous and find things on my own.

My kids are now 14 and 11 and even last year, were able to do a lot of things by themselves, which means that I have a little more of my own time.

I'll be in touch later!

Nancy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter