Rental Car for Kennedy Space Center?

moericus

Mouseketeer
I'm in DVC and spending 10 days at WDW in January. My son has gone space crazy so we're going to spend one less day at WDW this trip to tour the Kennedy Space Center.

I've looked over a bunch transportation companies but they're all pretty expensive. It would cost our family of 4 $300 to $400 for roundtrip. The Mears Shuttle is an option but even that would be three times the cost of a rental car. :car:

So what are the basics for using the Car Care Center? My understanding is I need to call them an hour ahead of time for the shuttle. I'll be at Boardwalk Villas the day we want to go. Do they only pickup from MK? I possibly have discounts available from Mastercard, BJ's, AAA, and I think my wife signed up for the Alamo club. So far the only deals I've seen are for free upgrades. Is there anything I'm missing deal-wise?. Is renting car seats (4&7 year old) from Alamo worth it? I'm debating using an extra suitcase (would be no charge on Southwest) with our car seats in them.

I think we've talked ourselves out of using the rental place at the Swan because they just don't open early enough. We want to be at KSC when the gates open.

Any other good tips for getting to KSC?

Last edited:
Try Dollar at the Wyndham in DTD. I rented from them in April for my entire trip. They also have a shuttle. It probably has similar hours to renting at the Swan but consider looking for more than 1 day.

Where ever you rent from, I do NOT suggest prepaying. Rates change all the day and you can book and cancel as frequently as you want.

You may want to consider picking up the car the evening before you are going to KSC, that way you can be on the road as early as you like. A one day rental will be the same price if you rent for 8 hours or the full 24 hours. The CCC is open until 8PM through the week so you could pick up the car just before 8PM and it wouldn't have to be back until the same time (just before 8PM) the following day.

You may want to consider picking up the car the evening before you are going to KSC, that way you can be on the road as early as you like. A one day rental will be the same price if you rent for 8 hours or the full 24 hours. The CCC is open until 8PM through the week so you could pick up the car just before 8PM and it wouldn't have to be back until the same time (just before 8PM) the following day.

Picking up the car the night before sounds like a good idea. I'll feel a little less rushed too.

Update:
Reserved a Jetta with 2 car seats at the Car Care Center with Alamo for about $47 + $22 (car seats). That's with a BJ's wholesale club upgrade coupon. Also decided to pick it up at 7:30 the night before. Hoping all goes well. KSC here we come!:drive:

Paid about 75 bucks. Alamo was great. Riding the Alamo shuttle was a bit of a treat because unlike the Disney Busses they actually go the speed limit. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter