Rental car drop-offs near DLR?

camouseketeer

DIS Veteran
Which companies have rental car drop-offs within walking distance to DLR?

Where are the drop-off locations?

In July, I want to rent a car from Orange County Airport, stop at the grocery store to pick up some food and water for our stay, check into the Desert Inn & Suites, and then return the car later that day. I don't need a car to return to the airport.

There will be three of us (me and my two DD's, 4 and 6) so I figured that the cost of a shuttle is about the same as a rental car plus I get to stop at a grocery store too.

Anyone with any experience doing this?

Alamo has an office in DTD. In my experience, its VERY expensive to do it that way. They charge a huge fee to drop a rental off someplace other then where it was rented. I want to say it was in the neighborhood of $100 differnce to keep it short time and drop if off vs having it for a few days. I find its usually just cheaper to keep the car the entire time, even if you dont need it. And then you'll have it if you need a return trip to the store or to get back to the airport.

We are using Alamo. We are flying in to San Diego on Saturday, May 3rd and picking up the rental car. We will go to the zoo for the day and then drive on to Anaheim that evening. We're staying at the GCH and will drop the car off that night or the next morning. I have it rented from 9:30 am Sat to 9:00 am Sun and there was no extra fee for dropping in another place from pick-up. Our rental is $53 for the time we have it and that is for an SUV because we needed the extra room for the 4 of us and our luggage.

You can go to the Alamo site and put in the pick-up and drop-off locations and dates and get quotes for the different cars. The price is less if you keep it under 24 hours.

I plugged some dates and times in to Alamo.com, with out any discount codes and anything. For 5 hours on a Saturday to pick up at SNA and drop off in downtown disney is about $75 for a compact. You could keep the same car until Wed and return it to the airport for $99.

If you have a costco card or entertainment book check both of them for discount codes.

I have both a costco card and an entertainment book and got my best rate from Enterprise.

Is there a drop off location for Enterprise anywhere close by?

Are there any other companies I can use besides Alamo?

Our rental is $53 for the time we have it and that is for an SUV because we needed the extra room for the 4 of us and our luggage.

How did you get that rate?

I too found rates starting at $75 for Alamo! :scared1:

I just went to the website and put my info in again and I still get the same rate. The cheapest car is $40. I can't post a link because the address bar stays at the www.alamo.com. I'm going to try to paste a copy of the page:

Rental Period and Location
Pickup:
San Diego Airport/Shuttle (SANO71)

2942 Kettner Blvd.
San Diego , CA 92101
US

Saturday, May 3, 2008
9:30 AM
Dropoff:
Disney Downtown, Anaheim California (ANAC72)

1565 So Disneyland Dr
Ste 105
Anaheim , CA 92802
US

Sunday, May 4, 2008
9:00 AM

Base Rate Quoted in USD

Car Capacity Passengers Luggage
Large Large
Medium Medium
Small Small

Step 2: Select from these available cars
Please note, only vehicle categories and rates available at the requested location for requested dates are displayed. A description of any benefits included in the rate shown below will display on the next page, as well as a breakdown of taxes, fees and surcharges. Certain specialty and larger sized vehicles may not be rented to younger drivers. Debit cards are not allowed for Pre-Pay reservations.

Economy
2-Door or 4-Door/Automatic/Air

Chevrolet Aveo
or similar
2 2 2

[Vehicle Features]
$40.00 Rental Period Compact
2-Door or 4-Door/Automatic/Air

Chevrolet Cobalt
or similar
2 1 2 1 2

[Vehicle Features]
$40.00 Rental Period Midsize
4-Door/Automatic/Air

Pontiac G6
or similar
2 2 1 2 2

[Vehicle Features]
$40.00 Rental Period Fullsize
4-Door/Automatic/Air

Pontiac Grand Prix
or similar
2 2 1 2 3

[Vehicle Features]
$45.00 Rental Period Midsize SUV
4-Door/Automatic/Air

Chevrolet Equinox
or similar
4 1 2 2

[Vehicle Features]
$50.50 Rental Period Minivan
7 Passenger/Automatic/Air

Chevrolet Uplander
or similar
6 1 3 1

[Vehicle Features]
$50.50 Rental Period Standard SUV
4-Door/Automatic/Air

Chevrolet TrailBlazer
or similar
4 1 4 3

[Vehicle Features]
$53.50 Rental Period Premium
4-Door/Automatic/Air

Buick Lucerne
or similar
4 1 3 2

[Vehicle Features]
$55.00 Rental Period SUV Crossover
4-Door/Automatic/Air

Dodge Journey
or similar
5 1 2

[Vehicle Features]
$114.00 Rental Period Luxury
4-Door/Automatic/Air

Cadillac DTS
or similar
5 4 2

[Vehicle Features]
$133.00 Rental Period Minivan
8 Passenger/Automatic/Air

Toyota Sienna
or similar
6 2 4 3

[Vehicle Features]
$146.00 Rental Period Fullsize SUV
4-Door/Automatic/Air

Dodge Durango
or similar
4 3 1 2 2

[Vehicle Features]
$154.00 Rental Period

Need technical help? Call 1-877-252-6600.

It might be easier to read on this - it's part of my confirmation email. I just removed personal information.The total includes the taxes and surcharges of approx. $11.00. And I did not use any sort of discounts or codes, I just put the info into the website and that's the price that came up. :confused3

Confirmation # XXXXXXX
Standard SUV
4-Door/Automatic/Air

Chevrolet TrailBlazer
or similar

4 1 4 3

Pickup:
San Diego Airport/Shuttle (SANO71)

2942 Kettner Blvd.
San Diego , CA 92101
US

Saturday, May 3, 2008
9:30 AM
Dropoff:
Disney Downtown, Anaheim California (ANAC72)

1565 So Disneyland Dr
Ste 105
Anaheim , CA 92802
US

Sunday, May 4, 2008
9:00 AM
Estimated Total = $65.39 USD

How did you get that rate?

I too found rates starting at $75 for Alamo! :scared1:

I dont know, but if SanDiego Airport and Orange County Airport are different, than that can make a difference in teh price. If they are the same, well then I h ave no suggestions for you

I'm guessing they charge so much more to pick up at SNA and drop off near disneyland to discourage people from doing that. They would then have to shuttle all the cars back to the airport. San Diego is a lot further away, and they wouldnt expect people to make that round trip to return the car.

I think it's also the dates. I am going mid-summer vs early May. Rates are higher for everything during my travel time!

There's an Avis location at 200 West Katella. Any idea how close that is?

A lot of the cost of renting a car depends on where you are renting it from. LAX = very expensive. Santa Barbara airport = not so bad.

It costs me twice as much to rent a one day car from LAX to Santa Barbara than it does to rent a one day car from Santa Barbara and drop it off in Anaheim.

I rented from Avis and have never been charged a "drop off fee" for taking it to another destination. They have a place right around the corner from DL on Katella. When I drop the car off there, they drive me back to my hotel on Harbor. It works out very well. I think my car for this coming July was $35.

Shop around and check the rates often. They do change.

Where are you renting from? From Orange County?

No, I'm renting the car from Avis near the Santa Barbara airport. I'm returning it to the Avis on Katella. $35! Can't beat that price.

Shop around and if you can't find a good rate one day, try again the next day. Just beware that some locations, like LAX, tack on a lot of fees that the car rental company passes on to you. So, renting a one day car out of LAX is twice as expensive.

We are here and rented a car from Avis. The service and price were fantastic. They offer a free shuttle if you need a ride back to your hotel or a pick up to come and get your car. Good luck!:thumbsup2

We are here and rented a car from Avis. The service and price were fantastic. They offer a free shuttle if you need a ride back to your hotel or a pick up to come and get your car.

Thanks for that info. A couple of questions:

Did you return the car to the 200 West Katella address or the 1570 S Harbor next to the Desert Inn?

Did you have to schedule a ride back ahead of time, or do they have a shuttle ready at all times?

Do you know the hours of that location to return the car?

TIA!

Did you return the car to the 200 West Katella address or the 1570 S Harbor next to the Desert Inn?

QUOTE]

We used the Katella location. We did not need to schedule shuttle they came 5 minutes after we called and then when I droped the car they had someone pop in a car and zip me back! It was a GREAT experience even today upon drop off.

FYI it was less then 30.00 including all taxes for a 24hour rental of an Icar.

Hope it helps!

Thanks for that info. A couple of questions:

Did you have to schedule a ride back ahead of time, or do they have a shuttle ready at all times?

Do you know the hours of that location to return the car?

TIA!

I don't know anything about an Avis on Harbor. I'm wondering if that's a little counter in a hotel or something? If you look online, all you see in Anaheim is the one on Katella.

There's no schedule of when they'll take you to the hotel. They just take you in a car. Last time they also dropped another passenger off at the same time, so 3 of us just sat in the back of this very fancy towncar and they took us right to our hotel after we dropped our car off.

As for the hours they are open, they are limited. I think they may close as early as 4pm, so you have to plan on dropping the car off in the afternoon, not in the evening.

I don't know anything about an Avis on Harbor. I'm wondering if that's a little counter in a hotel or something?
That could be - I found the 1570 S Harbor location via Google Maps, not avis.com.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter