Rent a car or not??

Bamboozled

Earning My Ears
My DD and I are taking my 2 yr. old grandson Nov. 5-12. We'll be staying at the CBR, and I'm wondering if I should rent a car. We plan on visiting a park every morning, having a TS lunch in park then going back to resort for nap time. Grandson usually naps 2 hours and we want to go back to a park after his nap.

We're also going to use a full size stroller, and I'm wondering how much of a pain it is to fold it up and cart it onto the Disney buses.

What would you seasoned veterans with toddlers in tow do?

I've done Disney with 2 toddlers in tow and this is my suggestion to you. Save the money on the rental car and use it on a stroller rental instead. I'm sure I will be the minority on this one, but I can't say enough good things about the Disney strollers and their ease of use. Getting your stroller on and off the bus isn't too bad, but if it's crowded it can be difficult. Sadly, you can't always rely on the kindness of strangers. And even though you might have to spend a few minutes waiting for a bus, I'd rather do that than worry with driving, traffic and parking any day.

For a number of years now, our trips have been with grandkids, and their parents. So, the stroller thing hasn't been my direct problem. I have to admit that it is a hassel getting it on and off the bus, and there's no niche on the bus to stick it into, to get it out of the way. You wind up partially blocking the aisle.
Having said all of that, we use the buses. The Disney transportation system does a good job. I like the idea that, from when I get off the plane, the only thing I have to think about is what park, and what attractions, rather than the normal mundane things of life like, the car. Also, riding the buses with a bunch of other guests all excited about Disney, just adds to the magic.
Finally, don't forget the fact that the buses take you right to the MK, without having to take the monorail or ferry.
If you will have problems manhandling the stroller, then consider the car. Otherwise, I recommend the Disney system.

Rent a car! The new Disney strollers aren't all that and please believe me when I say driving is always faster :)

This trip we are renting a car. My kids are 17 & 11 so strollers aren't a concern,although, I do have a 3 year old and a newborn ( not on this trip though ) so eventually strollers will be in play again. Last year the buses were terrible and I will bear the extra expense and rent a car so I can come and go on my schedule and not worry about bus lines.

we always rent a car but we usually go to Tampa and universal aswell. Plus having a car is faster at Disney and you will not pay for parking as you are a resort guest. Google thrifty magic card corporate code, we seem to find awesome deals on car rentals.

Rent a car! You always have a seat! You don't have to wait for the bus! And if you can figure out good drop off spots, you don't even have to bring the stroller on the tram (which is a pain with the big ones, but not as big of a pain as not having a car!!!).

Rent a car! The new Disney strollers aren't all that and please believe me when I say driving is always faster :)

I agree!! I don't know about strollers, but renting a car is way faster!

I'd sooner blow my brains out that spend my vacation at bus stops with a toddler. :faint:

If you can afford it, my advice is to rent the car.

I've done Disney with 2 toddlers in tow and this is my suggestion to you. Save the money on the rental car and use it on a stroller rental instead. I'm sure I will be the minority on this one, but I can't say enough good things about the Disney strollers and their ease of use. Getting your stroller on and off the bus isn't too bad, but if it's crowded it can be difficult. Sadly, you can't always rely on the kindness of strangers. And even though you might have to spend a few minutes waiting for a bus, I'd rather do that than worry with driving, traffic and parking any day.

:lmao: I was the exact opposite.
I put the stroller on the bus exactly 1 time and then RAN to the onsite national car rental. Have never gone back and my kids are 18 now. :lmao:

Op, driving is fabulous in disney, it's one big circle and in 15 years we've never been in any remotely like a traffic jam. If you're on site parking is free and it's about 50 times faster than any bus.

At the end of the night, I swear I had people offer me money to car pool just so they did not have to wait for a resort bus.

:lmao: I was the exact opposite.
I put the stroller on the bus exactly 1 time and then RAN to the onsite national car rental. Have never gone back and my kids are 18 now. :lmao:

Op, driving is fabulous in disney, it's one big circle and in 15 years we've never been in any remotely like a traffic jam. If you're on site parking is free and it's about 50 times faster than any bus.

At the end of the night, I swear I had people offer me money to car pool just so they did not have to wait for a resort bus.

So funny how people feel differently about it. I compare pushing a regular stroller around the park to trying to push a wonky cart around the grocery store for 10 hours. (I've tried it with about 4 different ones! :laughing:) And we're driving this time and I still won't use my car! :rotfl:

Rent a car! Especially if you plan on traveling from resort to resort for dinner or to check them out. Plus you can travel to downtown Orlando or Universal if you wish.

I rented a midsize thru national for $270 for 7 days. National does 0 credit checks and also will not be a "hold" on your credit/debit card.

Definetly rent the car.

When you are taking buses and need the afternoon breaks, it will feel like you are constantly on the bus or waiting for the bus. Plus, as others have stated, the strollers on the bus are a pain.

Have fun on your trip!

Being the father of a 4 and 2 year old that has done both, I will say that the rental car is easier but more costly. Because of my wife, we are renting a minivan at the airport b/c she does not like ME and the time it takes to get off the plane and in your room.

My personal opinion is to use the bus system, and if your kid is near a breakdown, jump into a cab. The cabs are right there and faster than getting to your car. Overall, you will use the bus and it will not be that bad but pull the "get out of jail" card when you need it and hop in a cab.

I highly recommend renting a car, especially if you're going to head back to the resort during the day. The bus service is free and convenient, but it's also very slow. Going to and from the Beach Club (where I usually stay) it takes about 30-40 minutes per trip because we have to stop at all of the other resorts in our area (Swan, Dolphin, Yacht, Boardwalk) before we can move onto our actual destination. My wife and I took the bus during our last trip and decided not to do it again since we like to hop around from park to park during the day.

I'm heading to Orlando on Thursday morning and managed to get a mid-size rental car for 5 days through Hertz for $140 using the "Pay Now" option and a coupon I got during a recent flight on AirTran.

Hertz Coupon Codes:

You have to enter both a CDP# and PC#

CDP # 1445818 (use this number along with one of the coupon codes below)

PC #'s:

985165 - Free One Car-Class Upgrade

985154 - $15 off weekly rental

985176 - $10 off weekend rental

Just a few things to remember when talking to the rental car company agents:

1) If they offer you a deal for a cheap rate on gas, it means that they sell you the entire tank of gas at that rate. If you don't use it, you pay for it anyways.

2) If you return the car with a partially empty tank, they'll charge you anywhere from $5 to $13 a gallon to re-fill it.

3) Depending on your own car insurance, you may not need any of the extra insurance options that they offer you. Check your own policy to see if you're already covered.

4) With some rental companies, like Hertz and Budget, if you sign up for their "vip" club (Hertz #1 Gold, Budget Fastbreak, etc.) they'll have the car ready for you when you get there and you won't have to wait in line and talk to any agents. It saves you time and the annoyance of listening to them pitch you services that you don't need.

Rent a car.

Reason #1, there is always a seat for everyone in your rental car.

Reason #1A, the AC can be cranked just as high as you want it, or turned off, in your rental car :)

Reason #2, airport to WDW resorts is a very easy, fairly quick drive.

And I think this is my new #3:

I'd sooner blow my brains out that spend my vacation at bus stops with a toddler. :faint:
Well put!

Ress

Wow!! I can't thank you all enough!:thumbsup2
You all have given me great information.

:worship: To those of you who prefer the buses, but I think a rental car is a must for us.

Thanks, Everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter