• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Remy or Palo for dinner?

wow!!

so i'm definitely up for Remy...
and my mom is incredibly adventurous - always picks the most wacko dish on every menu just to try it..
so i know she'll enjoy it...
but my sister is extremely finicky.....worse than a child....
so i'm worried about her..
palo would be much more appropriate for her...

on the other hand, this is the one time we'll have a chance to eat at remy together....so i think i might go with remy - i just hope it's not a disaster!! :eek:

At Remy, both lunch and dinner were set menus, meaning all your courses are predetermined. At dinner you could choose between a menu prepared by a French chef (lighter, more seafood) or an American chef (a bit heavier). You can choose a la carte items, but I had the feeling it was frowned upon, because if you aren't there to experience the menu the chef prepared then why come? At lunch, there was only one preset menu. Be prepared to eat medium rare meats, lots of rare seafood, raw seafood, etc. Portions are small and a great opportunity to taste new things. Palo is more flexible, as you order whatever you want.

We don't drink alcohol, is Remy still worth it? It seems like a lotnof the experience is based on wine pairing with the food.

We don't drink alcohol, is Remy still worth it? It seems like a lotnof the experience is based on wine pairing with the food.

Remy is based on pairings, for sure. The taste of the wine is supposed to compliment the taste of the food... marriage of flavors and all that. There were a couple dishes that I can't imagine tasting without the wine/champagne pairing, because they had such strong flavors on their own. If you really like food, though, you would be fine!

I'll bet they have non-alcoholic options!

Sounds like we will stand down. Hey, one less thing to spend $ on. :thumbsup2 Thanks for the feedback.

The waiter did ask our cooking preference once or twice. They would say it is recommended "medium rare", but they would cook it a little longer if we desired. I would always specify medium, but you could tell them longer.

Everything is in very small portions, so it is just a couple bites of each dish.

I had the French menu and there were only a couple times I was surprised at how something was (not) cooked. Both the fish and shrimp dishes were rare in the middle. I'm from Florida and I am not used to eating seafood rare in the middle! It was good, though.

Honestly we can't choose one over the other, so we do both for dinner, as well as the Palo Brunch. Gets a bit pricey for sure, but Remy is just a wonderful experience, and the Palo Chocolate Souffle is my favorite dessert. :cool1:

I've done Victoria and Alberts twice and Remy last year on the Dream - Remy was far better than Victoria and Alberts. Perhaps we had a poorer server this time at Victoria and Alberts (was hard to understand) but we both came away saying we wish we had saved our money but cannot wait until Remy on the Fantasy. Has it gone up to $100 though? Last year it was $75 each. This year I am planning to book Remy dinner, Palo brunch and dinner and hopefully get Remy lunch onboard. We are Platinum cruisers so if we get the Palo Brunch comped we will cancel the Palo dinner - this tells you we prefer Remy!
Wendy

I've done Palo on previous cruises on the Magic and Wonder and enjoyed both brunch and dinner there. But last month, I did go to Remy on the Dream, and I thought it was every bit as good as Victoria and Albert's, if not better.

I did not have a choice of menus. I had one menu that had a variety of both seafood and meat dishes. There was lobster and sea bass, as well as lamb and wagyu beef. I did splurge on the wine pairings, but I didn't find it absolutely necessary to do it all the time. I was only on the 3 night cruise, and didn't have any excursions booked. I didn't book anything at the spa, either. So the cost of Remy really didn't give me sticker shock. :laughing:

Also, I went there solo, and I managed to have a fantastic time. The various servers all came by to chat with me during the non-serving times between courses, and I even had some nearby diners chat with me, as well. I wasn't sure if I'd mind being alone for 3 hours, but I really surprised myself by enjoying it. (I also took lots of food pics.) I did the entire trip as a solo cruiser, and I enjoyed myself. I've taken other solo trips, so it wasn't something I'm not already comfortable with doing. I've never eated at V&A solo, but after my experience with Remy, I would do it solo.

I have a cruise on the Fantasy coming up, and I'll be going to Remy and Palo with my friends.

Beth, if your sister is really picky, Remy isn't good for her. If your sister is an independently minded person, I'd suggest asking her if she'd mind if you and your mom did Remy without her and all three of you do Palo. If she doesn't want to eat without you on the Remy night, they you can scratch Remy and all eat at Palo.

I've done Palo on previous cruises on the Magic and Wonder and enjoyed both brunch and dinner there. But last month, I did go to Remy on the Dream, and I thought it was every bit as good as Victoria and Albert's, if not better.

I did not have a choice of menus. I had one menu that had a variety of both seafood and meat dishes. There was lobster and sea bass, as well as lamb and wagyu beef. I did splurge on the wine pairings, but I didn't find it absolutely necessary to do it all the time. I was only on the 3 night cruise, and didn't have any excursions booked. I didn't book anything at the spa, either. So the cost of Remy really didn't give me sticker shock. :laughing:

Also, I went there solo, and I managed to have a fantastic time. The various servers all came by to chat with me during the non-serving times between courses, and I even had some nearby diners chat with me, as well. I wasn't sure if I'd mind being alone for 3 hours, but I really surprised myself by enjoying it. (I also took lots of food pics.) I did the entire trip as a solo cruiser, and I enjoyed myself. I've taken other solo trips, so it wasn't something I'm not already comfortable with doing. I've never eated at V&A solo, but after my experience with Remy, I would do it solo.

I have a cruise on the Fantasy coming up, and I'll be going to Remy and Palo with my friends.

Beth, if your sister is really picky, Remy isn't good for her. If your sister is an independently minded person, I'd suggest asking her if she'd mind if you and your mom did Remy without her and all three of you do Palo. If she doesn't want to eat without you on the Remy night, they you can scratch Remy and all eat at Palo.

i'm still not sure what to do...
my booking window is opening this weekend and my sister is away on vacation with her family...
i think i'll book remy and palo brunch...
she'll be fine with the fish and maybe she'll take a bite of the weird meat dishes....
i know she'll love the dessert, so maybe that will make up for the rest of it for her!! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter