Remy - Need 3 Hours?

kevdad

Mouseketeer
I booked Remy for my wife and I at 8:00 the 4th night of our upcoming cruise. I'm a little concerned about the three hours they list and am not sure we'll want to be there that long. If we ask them if we could be done in two hours, 1) would they/could they do it? 2) would we miss out on anything? I suspect the answer to #1 is "absolutely", but I have no clue on #2. TIA!

it will run 2-3+ hours, yes. yes you can ask them to "speed things up" or however you want to phrase it, but why? you are paying for the dining experience, right? it "sounds", i think, more intimidating or uptight than it is. and with two people, i think it's going to lean more towards 2+ish hours than three or more? we've always done the complete prix fixe menu and we wouldn't want to "skip" any of it. the wait staff is very attentive and will keep courses coming and a nice pace - if you aren't drawing out the meal, they aren't going to either, but there are lots of courses and the point is to enjoy!! i know sometimes on a cruise, it does seem like there is a whole "hurry up and relax" mentality and there is so much to d! i always struggle with what nights if any to try special dining because there are shows etc etc etc. but my honest opinion, and you can do whatever you are comfortable with and it never hurts to ask, but why would you go to something that kind of states from the outset that it is more of an experience that takes x amount of time and then what to change it or modify it? i mean, the food is outstanding so i guess i do get why! haha!

i'm sure i am probably sounding like a jerk, but just know the service doesn't drag, they don't make you stay there like some set amount of time or anything and IMHO, yes, you would miss the whole point of going by asking them to hurry. like i said, the staff cues off of you, and there are so many treats to be had! you need a bit of time to let all that goodness settle!!! go and enjoy it. the time you are there will fly by. i'm not kidding.

Never been to Remy, but have dined in Palo. We (DW and I)had a really Nnce diner and our server kenp us entertained. We didn't feel like dragging any moment and when we got up, topped off and relaxed we just happend to have spent a little over 2 hours. It just went by and we had a blast. Don't worry, your server will be with you at your pace. Yes, you will miss the late show that night and you will miss many more activities on your cruise. Thing is to choose what you will do and fully enjoy that. Otherwise you will set yourself up for a big disappointment about all the things you didn't do.

Enjoy your cruise!

I booked Remy for my wife and I at 8:00 the 4th night of our upcoming cruise. I'm a little concerned about the three hours they list and am not sure we'll want to be there that long. If we ask them if we could be done in two hours, 1) would they/could they do it? 2) would we miss out on anything? I suspect the answer to #1 is "absolutely", but I have no clue on #2. TIA!

I concur with the first two replies. Since we were bringing family, including grandparents, from Denmark and would be dealing with jet lag and 3 kids left to themselves, I had the same concern before our Remy dinner. I tried hard to get an earlier seating, but that was not possible. In the end, the 3 hours flew by and everyone not only had a great time, but also one of the best, if not the best, meals of our lives. Now, we are looking forward to the Remy dinner as one of the absolute highlights of our next cruise. Just enjoy it and don't worry: you will not even be thinking about the time.

Thanks for the replies! I probably should have explained the "why": we have three kids (10,9,6) who love to see the shows. We have late dining but, regardless, I was thinking we'd go to the early show as usual, then the kids could go to their club while we eat dinner. But staying there until 11:00 might be a big issue for our kids, particularly our 6 year old since I'd like us to get an early start for our Blue Hole tour in Jamaica the next morning. Maybe we'll just skip the show that night (Wishes) and book an earlier dinner time. I think you all convinced me to do just that so we can enjoy ourselves at Remy. Cheers!

My dinner at Remy last Sunday took 3.5 hours, and I was perfectly fine with it.

We just took 2.5 hours, and it seemed leisurely. In the handful of times we've eaten there, I'm always surprised at the end of the meal how long it was, since the time really does seem to go quickly. Nothing drags, the server is always instantly there when you need something and amazingly invisible the rest of the time.

It is not a meal, it is an experience. And luckily you are eating in one of the most guest friendly restaurants you can find, not even a tiny bit of stuffiness. Friendly, approachable, outgoing, accommodating, what else can I say? Add to that world class menu, and you'll be sad when it is all over.

And the cheese!

As for the shows, there are always a night or two that are variety shows. If you're only worried about the Disney produced shows, just schedule Remy on one of the nights that it's the variety act. Then you can go earlier and you don't have to worry about missing the show.

And most variety acts also do one or more other performances for families or adults, so if you want to check them out, look in the Navigator when they will perform again. It will not be the exact same show, of course.

I wanted to add something. We had Palo booked this last cruise. Reservation was for 6pm. I told the kids we could go to the late show. I did mention this to the waiter up front and he didn't say anything. As the night went on (we were waiting significant periods of time between courses) it was clear that w/o prodding it wasn't going to happen. I mentioned to the waiter when ordering our main course if we could order dessert at the same time and asked for the bill when he brought dessert to speed things up. The last half of the meal had me stressed since I knew the kids really wanted to see the show and I saw how long dinner was running. Further I was disappointed that the waiter didn't mention anything about it being an issue at the outset, since we did specifically mention it to him. Also the waiter seemed annoyed that we were trying to get out for the show and he said we should come back at another time when we have more time and can truly enjoy the experience. I guess I thought 2 hours for a dinner should be plenty... you live you learn. I agree w/ PP's, on a night you have Palo or Remy, I would not try to book or go to other events.

Also, I think you will like 6pm better as the ocean views are gorgeous and you will see the sunset. By 8pm its too dark out to really see them.

Yes, it does take that long but it does not feel long at all. However, you can try to speed things up by getting the first seatings (so you can enjoy the sunset and views before it gets too dark), and maybe skip the cheese course. We're not big fans of cheese so we viewed the selection, but skipped it. Doing this allowed us to make the late seating of dinner for a second dinner that night with the rest of the family without really rushing through the Remy experience. Didn't eat much at the MDR dinner that night, of course, but it can be done. We've done it this way twice already.

Depends on what day you're going. If you're on an Eastern your time changes by an hour at the end of the second day before arriving at St. Maarten or St. Thomas. Here's a chart of the sunset times for Orlando. Not knowing where you will be, there's no telling when your sunset will be.

http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/orlando?month=5

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter