Removing McAfee Antivirus

3boymthr

DIS Veteran
I swear McAfee anti-virus is like a virus unto itself. I bought a new computer - with windows 8 as the OS (I hate that too but couldn't afford a Mac we do what we must to have a computer that works). I did not want McAfee. Asked that it not be installed. They installed it. Now its coming up for renewal and I don't want to renew it - I have another anti virus program I like better that doesn't fight with other programs that I have installed. I've tried to remove McAfee and was able to remove most of the files but there are a few files that won't allow me to remove as I'm not an "administrator" even though I'm logged on to the computer as an administrator. I've tried going through the windows uninstall. After this process there were several hundred files left so I went through file system and manually deleted all but four of them. Now a message from McAfee keeps popping up and telling me that the program can't load because pieces are missing - yeah, i know I removed them. It's so annoying. It's slows the computer down extremely when loading windows and even more when I open up the internet. It takes about 10 minutes to get on to the internet. Then once the message pops up (again) and I manually disable mcafee the computer speeds right up. Does anyone know how to remove these last super annoying files?

There is a free program called Revo Uninstaller. Works great! Unless you're comfortable getting into the registry editor and know what you're doing, Revo is what I would recommend. You download it and when it runs, it will list all of the programs that either came pre installed with the computer or that you have installed. It gives you I believe 3 options- can't remember them. I'm on my iPad and can't check my laptop. Click on the one that will completely uninstall a program. That way it will delete it from your registry.

yeah, u need a program that uninstalls McAfee...
its your computer manufactor's problem unfortunately. If u got a Levono, your gonna have your computer even more...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter