• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Remind me how the DDP works for a 2-yr-old

kkayluvsdis

DIS Veteran
Hi All,

Just wondering what the rules are for a 2yr old traveling with a family on the ddp. I seem to remember that they are allowed to eat off of adult plates? Is this still the case? He most likely would need a full meal most of the time so I'm wondering how you have dealt with this? Just pay oop for the 2-yr-old?

Thanks in advance!!
-Kelly :wizard:

Children under 3 do not receive a set of dining credits.

At any restaurant, the child may eat off the plates of the other party members.

At any fixed price, buffet or family style restaurant, the child gets their own plate for free.

At an a la carte restaurant or a CS, if you purchase a separate meal for the child, you must pay for it OOP.

Just confirming....

My friends are travelling with their 2yo twins so the kiddos do not have any DDP credits.

Most of their meals are buffets but they will be eating supper at Kona Cafe one night.

If the parents order 1 or 2 children's meals for the kids, should they be prepared to pay OOP for those meals?

Thanks!

Do you have to call to get the free dinning plan if you don't want it for everyone in your party?? I have a very picky 4 year old that doesn't eat much at all.

Do you have to call to get the free dinning plan if you don't want it for everyone in your party?? I have a very picky 4 year old that doesn't eat much at all.
The dining plan in general (and by proxy the free dining plan promotion) applies to everyone in your party (in your room). There is no way to get it for only some of the people if they are included in the package. (Assuming they are 3 or older).

Depending on where you are staying and the rest of the party, a room discount may be another option (typically better than free dining for 2 adults starting at deluxe rooms). However, if you're concerned about 1 child, and the rest of your party will be utilizing the plan, you'll probably make out just fine even if he doesn't eat much.

Just confirming....

My friends are travelling with their 2yo twins so the kiddos do not have any DDP credits.

Most of their meals are buffets but they will be eating supper at Kona Cafe one night.

If the parents order 1 or 2 children's meals for the kids, should they be prepared to pay OOP for those meals?

Thanks!

Of course they have to pay for those meals. Children under 3 are only allowed to eat for free at buffets and when eating off of parents' plates.

Yes.

You must get the dining plan for everyone in your party age 3 or over. There's no way to leave someone off while getting the plan for others on the same room reservation.

At any fixed price, buffet or family style restaurant, the child gets their own plate for free.

At an a la carte restaurant or a CS, if you purchase a separate meal for the child, you must pay for it OOP.

What is a "fixed price" restaurant? Can you give me some examples?

I think by "fixed price" they mean something like CRT breakfast - where there are just like 1 or 2 options that everyone has to get ?

At buffets under 3 eat free, at CRT they bring a small plate of something breakfast was french toast sticks :thumbsup2 for free and juice.

At regular places you can either share, or pay oop. We have other kids so our 2 year old always shared the food on the table. We did occasionally get him just a cup of soup or a child side if we thought he would want something different (he loves soup ;)) These items were usually cheap 1-2 dollars.

We always had plenty but then my 2 year old will eat steak and veggies and anything that DH and I will eat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter