Remember when....

... you could scrounge through your car looking for change and use it to buy 2 days worth of gas? My now dh actually used to save pop bottles and turn them in to get gas money to visit me when I was away at college.

Remember when...

All you needed to prove you were actually home sick from school was a note from your parent?

(Yes, I am the bitter parent who had to wake up my sleeping child today to haul him to the doctor in order to get the all-important "official" note for school, only to be told by said doctor to take him home and let him sleep.)

That is asinine to have to disturb a sick child for a visit to the doctor; here a note "May" be required for an employer.

Blue Chip around here.

Bluechip.jpg

Pay phones from Pacific Telephone in California were 10 cents until maybe the late 80s when they went to a quarter. There was that expression when someone called - "It's your dime". And yeah I remember bottle deposits. We have those again but not nearly as much for single-use. We still have some $1 milk bottle deposits around here.
....same difference....;)

a76c4840ae12eb987314e0f8a85313b7.jpg

Remember when the gas station would sell you a pack of cigarettes if you brought a note from a parent?

Remember when to get the "in" hairstyle, you needed about half a can of hair spray?

Remember when the gas station would sell you a pack of cigarettes if you brought a note from a parent?

A neighbor lady would often ask us to go to the corner store and get her cigarettes. "Just ask for Mrs. Jones' cigarettes." She was a good tipper and we would run other errands for her as well. One time us kids scrounged up 50 cents among ourselves and went to buy cigarettes for "Mrs. Jones." Bad mistake. They were unfiltered Camels and were horrible. Someone's mom caught us puffing away and we all got into trouble. The mom complained to the store owner and she stopped allowing kids to buy cigarettes for adults.

Remember when satellite tv meant you had that HUGE dish outside in the yard?

We were talking the other night about being kids and if you were with X's mom/dad and misbehave, she spanked you. Then when you got home and mom/dad heard, they spanked you too. Now not only is it frowned upon for another parent to reprimand a child at all, but someone else viewing a spank will call cps and the cops for child abuse.

Remember when downloading a new computer game meant starting it before you went to bed and waking up hoping it was more than 80% done installing?

So glad that's over.

Remember when all the kids in the neighborhood would pool our money together, to buy a new ball.

Remember when albums were only vinyl? And you inevitably ended up taping a penny to the needle arm to keep it from skipping?

Remember when MTV used to play music videos and you would wait all day for them to play your favorite video. Or remember when you would listen to the radio all day just waiting for them to play songs you like so you can record them on a cassette tape. If you had a good friend you might make a special mix tape for them. Or remember when you wanted to go to a movie everyone would pool their money so one kid could buy a ticket and he would open the fire exit door so everyone else could get in.

My daughter just said to me the other day that there was some award show on MTV tonight. I laughed and said that I remembered when MTV actually was music television.

Listening to Casey Kasem on Saturday morning waiting to hear your favorite song so you could hold your tape recorder up to the radio to record it hoping nobody walked into your room and ruined it!!!

When "#" was a pound sign and not a hashtag.

When you would go outside after breakfast and only come in for lunch and dinner, go back out after dinner until the street lights came on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter