Remember when you had to book 2+ years in advance during peak??

Tonyspad

Disney or Bust for us!
I remember, about 25 years ago, when there was only 2 hotels at WDW and you needed to book at LEAST 2 years out during peak seasons. Are we headed back to that?? I see Poly GVC is SOLD OUT for three straight weeks at the end of May and begining of June. This just means to me the codes will not be as necessary for Disney to fill the rooms, not to mention their new policy of EMH (eve) for on property guests only and free transport to and from the airport!!!! Because of this there are less reasons for people to want to stay offsite.

Looks like everything that was old is new again... :sad2:

i think that is because of the new celebration.

I looked at expedia and most of the WDW resorts have rooms availability.

So no - it is not back to the old ages.

remember in those days WDW did not use ANY travel agencies - you could only book through them. So lots of travel agencies would say there wasn't any WDW resorts.....Grandmother was so mad when we arrived at the MK to find the Cont and Polyn - she went to the their front desk and asked how to make reservations there. and never booked with that travel agency again!!!

then we (until she died) stayed at the Polyn.

Hey it would be nice - since I own at a DVC, (OKW, VWL and BWV) - boy their resalers (which are quiet high) would really go through the roof.....

It is nice to see other old timers posting!!!

I remember when CBR was to open in 1988, I booked in 1987 to get a reservation for May 1989. I was so glad I had booked 18 months early because no one could get in that spring. It was the first value priced resort to be added to the property. I paid $69 a night, rack rate, regular season. There were no rooms past the bridge and Aruba was not complete.

I also remember when they use to do a wait list too.

I booked ALL of my 2005 reservtions in July 2004 this year. Mostly because we get a CM discount and to get the discounts at the resorts you want, you need to book early.

I think that just b/c Pol GVC has sold out codes will less likely be available for concierge rooms. There are still rooms available for that time frame for regular rooms.

Speaking of prices... How about $119 per night in 1982 for a Contemporary Tower Room. And in 1978 $79 at the Poly, both during Easter break!!

grandmother use to pay $59, then $69 for a night for a week stay at the polyn - on that was so nice!!!

don't ask where the discount came from? maybe the Magic Kingdom Club?

I just looked online and it didn't appear the GVC at Poly was sold out for that timeframe. I wonder why?

Speaking of the good old days! DH & I will be returning to the Poly this year for our 30th wedding anniversary. I think we paid about $50 or so a night to stay there on our honeymoon. Of course, 30 years ago $50 was alot of money!

then the polyn was the same as the Sheraton (where we stayed the first time) - so yes and no.

if the Polyn was still the same it would be at least $100 a night cheaper (sometimes even more)

Our first onsite stay after numerous offsite visits sinced 1971 (my parents spent their honeymoon at the Contemporary in '72 and never could afford to stay onsite again!) was at the Polynesian in 1987. We got the then-unbelievable Florida Resident rate of $99 per night.

I would always hear stories of year-or-more waiting lists before the GF and Caribbean Beach opened in '88.

christianweecare said:
Speaking of the good old days! DH & I will be returning to the Poly this year for our 30th wedding anniversary. I think we paid about $50 or so a night to stay there on our honeymoon. Of course, 30 years ago $50 was alot of money!

I was taught to double a price every decade for inflation. So $50 after 10 years would be $100, after another 10 years $200, and another 10 years $400.

spiceycat said:
grandmother use to pay $59, then $69 for a night for a week stay at the polyn - on that was so nice!!!

don't ask where the discount came from? maybe the Magic Kingdom Club?

We use to get great rates at the Polynesian because we have some Disney stock. I have some brochures from the late 80's/early 90's that were sent to stockholders advertising a 40% room discount. Disney did away with all of that when Eisner came aboard ! Magic Kingdom Club cardmembers use to get decent discounts too, but that too is gone! :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter