Remember when Tough To Be A Bug was....

GatorChris

Not of This World
Tough to Be a Bug!!! It looks like this fun little 3D attraction will stay in perpetual movie preview mode and show "The Good Dinosaur" preview starting this Friday, and probably until it opens Thanksgiving. I can't say this makes much sense. When you've got the theater in Tomorrowland either sitting empty or showing old/lame Captain Eo, why not put previews in there? After all, it's Tomorrowland and they'd be showing a movie "of the future".....sorta.

I just find it strange that DLR has places for 3 different 3D attractions (Eo, Muppets, and Bugs) and NONE of them are showing 3D/4D films.

Yeah, on our last trip we snuck in on one of the two days it was open, the next day it had already been closed to set up for the preview! If you see it open for It's Tough to Be A Bug, jump in while you can!

Lol. I thought you were going to say remember when ITTBAB had fastpass. And you're right - keep Bug and show the movies in TL!

With all of our trips to DLR in the past fiv years, we've still never seen it! Either it's been closed to prepare for a preview or just showing a preview. Crazy!

We arrive on 10/20. Is the only thing showing in Tough to Be A Bug at the end of the month the Good Dinosaur preview??
I saw that they were bringing out the preview but assumed it was going to play before or after Tough to Be a Bug-not fill in for it altogether!
Is the preview longer or special or just the standard preview you get at the movie theatre?

But the Tomorowland theater isn't showing Captain EO. It's going to be showing Star Wars movie clips, from the old movies, as part of the Seasons of the Force.

We arrive on 10/20. Is the only thing showing in Tough to Be A Bug at the end of the month the Good Dinosaur preview??
I saw that they were bringing out the preview but assumed it was going to play before or after Tough to Be a Bug-not fill in for it altogether!
Is the preview longer or special or just the standard preview you get at the movie theatre?

I haven't seen a preview in ITTBAB yet, but I've seen several in Tomorrowland Theater. They are longer than a movie trailer, longer than 10 minutes, and they incorporate the 4D effects into the preview. For the Maleficent preview in ITTBAB, I heard there was fog, wind, lightening, etc to go with the movie. I really liked the Guardians of the Galaxy one. Can't wait to see what they've done with the Star Wars clips for Seasons of the Force.

Honestly I'm in the camp that prefers the movie previews to ITTBAB. Was not a fan of the attraction the first time I saw it in Animal Kingdom when I was a kid, and when I checked it out again recently in DL, I still didn't enjoy it. I do agree it's silly to turn this attraction into a movie preview when the Tomorrowland theater is empty, but I am more likely to go see a preview than willingly go on ITTBAB again.

Also, in my experience the attraction gets more people in seats when it's the preview as opposed to the actual attraction...

I find it strange, too. We went to It's Tough To Be A Bug 3 years ago during our first family trip to Disneyland and didn't return to that attraction. We really did not like the things hitting you in the back and other stuff like that.

I get that there are some people who didn't like the scary factor to this attraction, and so wouldn't go here. But is the empty Tomorrowland Theater a worse option than to take out an actual attraction at DCA? At WDW, it's one of things you always do because it's inside the Tree of Life, and that's just cool. I'm wondering if the attraction at DCA just doesn't have the pool because it's "just another 3D ride".

I get the Bug Life stuff maybe has run its course and will be replaced soon. Just my feeling on it.

I just gotta' say that I love It's A Bug's Life...it is one of my perennial favorites!!

What I meant by my previous post was that I, too, think it's odd to have so many 3D attractions that are not being used for their original purposes. Captain EO has kind of gone by the way side, so I can understand that being used for something else. Bugs Life is still a fairly recent movie and it has pretty widespread appeal. Even though my family personally cannot stand It's Tough To Be A Bug, I think it's unfortunate that the attraction is now rarely in its original form and it's really now just a theater to show upcoming movie previews.

I actually like ittbab and was kind of sad to see it was gone when we went it May. We like to go to just relax by getting off our feet & get out of the heat & watch a cute show. We got to see Ant Man in that theater & it was pretty cool. I think they should put it back & also the Muppets as I was really sad they got rid of them. :(

I saw the preview today. It wasn't 3-D but it does make use of several effects in theater. Some it uses multiple times. I think it was about 9-10 minutes. We saw a couple of scenes (that would showcase the effects) and then a montage. First 2 scenes were cute, third was boring and unfortunately the longest, fourth was a little better, then the montage had so much more than we got from the third scene. There were several young (5 and under) kids in the theater who were squealing with laughter at parts. On the way out several young 20 somethings were saying it looked dumb. I'm with them. I don't have kids, and I'm not interested in seeing this based on what I saw. I had read that this was going to be about a dinosaur family and now apparently they announced earlier this year that they cut that storyline. But if you have kids who are into dinosaurs, it's definitely worth the short amount of time to see the preview. Also, younger kids who will make the connect that the effects are connected to the movie they're seeing will like it. It might actually help that it's not in 3-D, as I bet the glasses obscure some of the visuals for younger kids.

We saw it today too and I thought it looked cute. Not sure I will go to a theater to see it though.
No kids to take. DGD is too young to sit through a movie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter