• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Remember the Big Red Boat?

stephmarty

Spending my Kids' Inheritance on Disney
Our very first cruise ever was on Premier's Big Red Boat. I know many of you remember this ship. It by no means compared to DCL's current ships (or anything else sailing out of Canaveral nowadays), but we have fond memories of our first venture into cruising. I remember how my wife and I scooted our 2 beds together, blocking the door to the tiny cabin. We had to move them back to get out in the morning. Anyway, we've been hooked on cruising ever since.

I got curious about what ever happened to the boat, and found it is sailing still in Spain. I saw it on the news a few years ago when it was actually seized during a cruise due to bankruptcy. They forced passengers off in Nassau, I believe, and they were abandoned there to find rooms and/or airfare. I always think of that when we encounter any "minor" disappointments while on vacation. Anyway, if you would like to see the Big Red Boat today (once again called Oceanic), check the link below.

http://www.pullmanturcruises.com/crucerobritt/oceanic.html

Yep, my cousin always says, "Oh, we took our daughter on the Disney Cruise when she was small...we weren't that impressed." Pretty funny!

OP, I see you were on the innaugural Western...so were we!

Thank you for the flash back. The Big Red boat was my first cruise in 1994. It had the looney tunes characters on it. I am going on my 4th Disney cruise in November. I have a picture of the Big Red boat in port next to the wonder in Nassau from our cruise in 2000. It looks like the little red dingy next to the Wonder. If I find the pic I will post it.
Angel :cloud9:

We captured this picture of The Big Red Boat ll in Freeport in 2003. Amazing when you see it next to Wonder. :earseek: Yes, funny when you tell people you're going on a Disney cruise and they still imagine you're going on the Big Red Boat. :lmao:

DisPhotos003.jpg

I was on the BIG RED BOAT three times. My youngest son was 12 now he 30, know I'm telling my age. Boy next to the Wonder it looks a big tug boat.

We were on the Big Red Boat for our honeymoon back in 1990. We were on the Majestic in the Goombay Suite. Back then it was only about $1000 each to get a suite for 3 nights and 4 nights at the Poly. I know we had Chip & Dale on our cruise because we have a picture with the, but I cannot remember who else. :confused3 I remember a while back the Majestic had a fire onboard, not sure what happened to her after that. I remember always tripping over the "step" of the framing around the bathroom door. But, we did have a double or queen size bed.

stephmarty, my parents went on the Oceanic back in 1980 or 1981, way before she was painted red and they loved the boat. Back then, you were allowed to go onto the boat to see people off, we had a big party in their room with many family members. They left out of NY for Bermuda. And they had BUNKS connected to the walls that they took the mattresses off at night and slept on the floor together! They also had 2 portholes in the room that opened. Things have really changed over the years.

It's now docked in Freeport and is rusting away. We docked next to it last year.

Yes it is hilarious. My best friends husband says that... yeah I went on the Disney Cruise on my first honeymoon...meaning the big red boat... I asked him if he was on the Magic or the Wonder and he just looked at me with this confused look...like I didn't know what I was talking about... We've been on the Magic 4 times now, which is nothing compared to many people but... there is just no comparing the two!!! :rotfl2:

xoxoangel said:
It looks like the little red dingy next to the Wonder.

Whenever we talk about the big red boat that is what we call it, the little red dingy..lol I use to have that on my siggy but was afraid I would offend someone :lmao:

The big red boat was our first cruise expereince as well

I also have pics of it docked next to the Disney ship.

ETA: Darn I cant find the pic, I had a good one of both boats docked with the fronts ( backs??) next to each other for a really neat comparison

Pea-n-Me said:
We captured this picture of The Big Red Boat ll in Freeport in 2003. Amazing when you see it next to Wonder. :earseek: Yes, funny when you tell people you're going on a Disney cruise and they still imagine you're going on the Big Red Boat. :lmao:

DisPhotos003.jpg
The ship in this picture is the Big Red Boat 2, not the Big Red Boat. The current Big Red Boat is still cruising with Pulmantur as the OP stated. The ship in this picture is currently being broken up at the Alang Ship Breaking Yards in India.

Here is a pic that was taken just the other day of it.

http://www.maritimematters.com/shipnewspics.html

I understand thats what you said, but it seemed some others were confused.

I see you are in Mass, staying inside today? We probably have about 20 inches in SE Connecticut.

Premier Cruise Line, founded in 1983, was the "official cruise line of Walt Disney World" before there was a Disney Cruise Line. Premier deserves credit for pioneering the WDW-land-and-sea packages, which are now offered on the Disney Wonder. Premier also deserves credit for establishing Port Canaveral as a significant cruise ship port.

Premier acquired or leased used ships such as the Premier Royale (built 1958), the Premier Oceanic (built 1965), the Premier Atlantic (built 1981), and the Premier Majestic (built 1972). With their hulls painted red, they earned the nickname, "The Big Red Boat." (Later, Premier actually named their ships The Big Red Boat I, The Big Red Boat II, and The Big Red Boat III and the "Big Red Boat" logo gave the line its identity.

When Disney saw how the WDW-land-and-sea packages caught on with the public, they allowed the marketing agreement with Premier to expire and announced their own cruise line.

Premier continued for a number of years. When the Disney tie-in ended, Premier turned to Warner Bros' Looney Tunes characters. Through a merger, Premier's fleet of older ships grew. But, although Premier tried to market their "classic" ships as a virtue, the line could not successfully compete with the new generation of 70 thousand GRT and larger ships operated by the major cruise lines. Premier folded in 2000.

Premier never ran the Disney Cruise Line, nor was Premier ever involved with the Disney Magic or the Disney Wonder.

Premier Cruise Line paid Disney to be "the Official Cruise Line of Walt Disney World," in the same way that Eastern Airlines (and later Delta Air Lines) paid to be "the Official Airline of Walt Disney World." Premier had a licensing agreement to have Disney characters onboard, and even offered nighttime tuck-ins of children by Disney characters.

Unlike the official airline, offical rental car, or official film of Walt Disney World, the public somehow saw the Premier Cruise Line cruises as being part of Disney. I remember people telling me, "We're cruising with Disney!"

There's an interesting article, Remembering Premier Cruise Line, by Lisa Plotnick.

The Oceanic is now operated by Pullmantur Cruises, a Spanish company. See http://www.pullmanturcruises.com/oceanic.html (the page loads slowly and is in Spanish)

Premier's original "Big Red Boat," the Royale, sank in 2000. At that time, it was named the SeaBreeze. See http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FCP/is_5_22/ai_71821966

Horace Horsecollar said:
Premier Cruise Line, founded in 1983, was the "official cruise line of Walt Disney World" before there was a Disney Cruise Line. Premier deserves credit for pioneering the WDW-land-and-sea packages, which are now offered on the Disney Wonder. Premier also deserves credit for establishing Port Canaveral as a significant cruise ship port.

Premier acquired or leased used ships such as the Premier Royale (built 1958), the Premier Oceanic (built 1965), the Premier Atlantic (built 1981), and the Premier Majestic (built 1972). With their hulls painted red, they earned the nickname, "The Big Red Boat." (Later, Premier actually named their ships The Big Red Boat I, The Big Red Boat II, and The Big Red Boat III and the "Big Red Boat" logo gave the line its identity.

When Disney saw how the WDW-land-and-sea packages caught on with the public, they allowed the marketing agreement with Premier to expire and announced their own cruise line.

Premier continued for a number of years. When the Disney tie-in ended, Premier turned to Warner Bros' Looney Tunes characters. Through a merger, Premier's fleet of older ships grew. But, although Premier tried to market their "classic" ships as a virtue, the line could not successfully compete with the new generation of 70 thousand GRT and larger ships operated by the major cruise lines. Premier folded in 2000.

Premier never ran the Disney Cruise Line, nor was Premier ever involved with the Disney Magic or the Disney Wonder.

Premier Cruise Line paid Disney to be "the Official Cruise Line of Walt Disney World," in the same way that Eastern Airlines (and later Delta Air Lines) paid to be "the Official Airline of Walt Disney World." Premier had a licensing agreement to have Disney characters onboard, and even offered nighttime tuck-ins of children by Disney characters.

Unlike the official airline, offical rental car, or official film of Walt Disney World, the public somehow saw the Premier Cruise Line cruises as being part of Disney. I remember people telling me, "We're cruising with Disney!"

There's an interesting article, Remembering Premier Cruise Line, by Lisa Plotnick.

The Oceanic is now operated by Pullmantur Cruises, a Spanish company. See http://www.pullmanturcruises.com/oceanic.html (the page loads slowly and is in Spanish)

Premier's original "Big Red Boat," the Royale, sank in 2000. At that time, it was named the SeaBreeze. See http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FCP/is_5_22/ai_71821966

Thank you for this summary--very informative.

My family and I went on four Big Red Boat Cruises. I can't believe it is about 15 years ago that I went on thoses cruises. I most say they were enjoyable at the time!!!The Disney Character were alot better then the Looney Tunes Characters. My little sister had Tweety tuck her in one night and Tweety did not fit though the door way of the cabin. It was the funniest thing!!
Now having been on Disney Wonder and Magic you can't compare the two at all. princess:

We went on the Big Red Boat as part of my godsons Make a Wish in the early 90's....we did have a blast on that ship and I still remember the sail away party was rained out and we had it in this lounge with these tan like buckety type chairs!

I went on the Big Red Boat in 1990 for the high school Marching Band trip. I'd like to say I remember it, but I don't. You see, against my mom's wishes, I used one of the sea sickness patches and ended up having a bad reaction. I can really only recall several pieces here and there! Unfortunately, it didn't get me excited about cruising. It wasn't until 2001 when my brother cruised DCL and I saw his videos, did I think I'd like to give it a try!

Thanks everyone for posting about this! I am preparing a portfolio for one of my travel classes in which I have to present information on a cruise line of my choice (one guess what I picked). This is great information for my history section!

We went on the Big Red Boat over New Years eve when I was 16 years old, it was so much fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter