Reluctantly In Charge

Fancychicken

Earning My Ears
A little background...I am a disney maniac. I love coming on here to read about trips, plan trips (both real and imaginary), and generally keep up on all info pertaining to The World. I'm planning our 4th family trip for January. My DH, DS13, DS12, DD10 are all excited.

The problem: MIL and FIL, well mainly just MIL. I could tell some stories, but the Readers Digest version: Picky, difficult, and able to make everyone's night pure misery when things are not to her liking. First trip was not bad as I had all dinner ADRs because we were on DDP. Second trip was disaster because we were trying to save $$ by eating QS. Every night was a big stressful production surrounding food. Ugh. I have no patience for it.

So I'm determined to plan a magical trip that pleases everyone. (I know - classic people-pleaser trap!) I have 5pm dinner ADRs for every night, along with a mellowed-down park touring strategy. Here's our plan so far:

Sat - Arrival day - Trails End Buffet
Sun - Epcot - Biergarten
Mon - HS - Mama Melrose
Tues - Resort day- Whispering Canyon
Wed - MK - Liberty Tree
Thurs - DTD/BW - Beaches & Cream
Fri - MK - 'Ohana

New to us will be WCC, Biergarten, MM. The others are family favorites. Any comments welcome.

Thanks!

DS16 loves Biergarten, each time we go everyone gets to pick one meal and he always picks Biergarten. We usually go a little later,but the food is always plentiful and fresh.
Mama Melrose's we tried twice and had bad service both times so we won't give it a third try. The food was okay, not bad but not amazing, but the service ruined it for us.

For the Biergarten and the mother-in-law, remind her that there will be a band playing at some point and they can be "loud" (don't know what her pickyness level is) but your kids will more than likely enjoy the band as anyone, young our not, can get up and dance and have a great time. Or, you can just sit and relax at the table (as my husband and I do). Also, while the buffet might seem to be too "meaty", I enjoy myself with a few "meat" selections (like chicken) and the rest is just great. Also - big hint. Do not wait for dessert here until after you've done the "real food". I go up, take one plate for "real food" and then another one for dessert. Why wait until you are full to have the good stuff? On the second trip up, I get more desserts than "real food". And the third trip up? Oh, then I have only dessert since it's the end of the meal.

Not sure if you or anyone in your family likes beer but if you order a beer here and can't finish it, you can get a "to go" cup. Very good bargain.

We've eaten at Biergarten many times and always had a great time. Plenty of choices and the entertainment is fun!

We ate at Mama Melrose for the first time last week and really liked it - we'd go back. The check-in/waiting area is a bit chaotic but once we were seated it quietened down considerably and the service was very good. We were on the Fantasmic dining package but the only restriction was the dessert sampler. For appetizers - Ceaser Salad (DH), Calamari (DD), Caprese (Me). Entrees - Pork Chop (DH), Penne alla Vodka with Chicken (DD), Charred Strip Steak (Me) and all were very tasty with not many leftovers! Can't comment on the dessert as I don't do sweet but DH and DD seemed to like it!

Hope this helps

DS16 loves Biergarten, each time we go everyone gets to pick one meal and he always picks Biergarten. We usually go a little later,but the food is always plentiful and fresh. Mama Melrose's we tried twice and had bad service both times so we won't give it a third try. The food was okay, not bad but not amazing, but the service ruined it for us.

Thanks for the reviews. I look forward to trying Biergarten. Mama Melrose I am a little nervous about, because I have read others who had bad service there. I saw a food review with an amazing dessert there and I feel compelled to go! :)

For the Biergarten and the mother-in-law, remind her that there will be a band playing at some point and they can be "loud" (don't know what her pickyness level is) but your kids will more than likely enjoy the band as anyone, young our not, can get up and dance and have a great time. Or, you can just sit and relax at the table (as my husband and I do). Also, while the buffet might seem to be too "meaty", I enjoy myself with a few "meat" selections (like chicken) and the rest is just great. Also - big hint. Do not wait for dessert here until after you've done the "real food". I go up, take one plate for "real food" and then another one for dessert. Why wait until you are full to have the good stuff? On the second trip up, I get more desserts than "real food". And the third trip up? Oh, then I have only dessert since it's the end of the meal. Not sure if you or anyone in your family likes beer but if you order a beer here and can't finish it, you can get a "to go" cup. Very good bargain.

Thanks for the very thorough review of Biergarten. I am getting very excited to try it!

We've eaten at Biergarten many times and always had a great time. Plenty of choices and the entertainment is fun! We ate at Mama Melrose for the first time last week and really liked it - we'd go back. The check-in/waiting area is a bit chaotic but once we were seated it quietened down considerably and the service was very good. We were on the Fantasmic dining package but the only restriction was the dessert sampler. For appetizers - Ceaser Salad (DH), Calamari (DD), Caprese (Me). Entrees - Pork Chop (DH), Penne alla Vodka with Chicken (DD), Charred Strip Steak (Me) and all were very tasty with not many leftovers! Can't comment on the dessert as I don't do sweet but DH and DD seemed to like it! Hope this helps

Thanks. I'm getting excited now. I've already decided on the Penne alla Vodka. Can't wait!

Thanks. I'm getting excited now. I've already decided on the Penne alla Vodka. Can't wait!

Vodka would be my answer to any cranky mil ;)

For me not her.

Good luck and we always enjoy Germany. dancing and band is great.

Just ignore her, and enjoy.

Vodka would be my answer to any cranky mil ;) For me not her. Good luck and we always enjoy Germany. dancing and band is great. Just ignore her, and enjoy.

Haha yes - I like how you think! Thanks, I will try to relax and enjoy.

My concern would be Whispering Canyon. It is very loud, rowdy, and with smartalic servers, yes they are to be that way. We took my mom and dad here for the skillet and they hated it because it was so loud and rowdy and we were seating in the last room away from everything. Trust me my parents are smartalics themselves, but this was just to much for them. So if your mother is law is very picky, I am not sure she would be up for their antics there. Also why not have a family night, just for you guys. You may be surprised how well that one dinner away can relax, calm and reset the moods of everyone.

There is no way you will ever be able to please everyone. Don't take on that kind of burden or it'll be vacation for everybody but you.

We took my daughter (then 5) and mother in law to Whispering Canyon a few years back. MIL complains in most restaurants but actually enjoyed this one.

There is no way you will ever be able to please everyone. Don't take on that kind of burden or it'll be vacation for everybody but you.

Yes! Ask her where she wants to eat. Make the ADRs, then if she changes her mind, she is free to eat somewhere else. Either that, or tell her you made the ADRs at these places for your family and she is free to make some for herself and FIL if she doesn't want to eat with you.

Haha yes - I like how you think! Thanks, I will try to relax and enjoy.

A great way to get over negative nilly mil. Is every time she say something negative you look directly at her smile and say something positive, then continue on your merry way.

If it makes you feel any better about MM, we had an awesome experience there in May and would definitely try it again. Wonderful service and excellent food. The only thing we didn't particulary enjoy was the dessert sampler; small servings and not many things we enjoyed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter