Reluctant First Time Solo Traveler

hurricane2017

Five Resorts and Counting
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forums here and I was surprised to see such an abundance of solo travelers to WDW.

I recently returned from a trip down there where I bought my very first AP. I'm planning on going back in October with my special buddy K8, but I was also thinking about trying to get back down there for a weekend in July or early August.

My reason for posting is to try and connect with like-minded people who might be able to convince me of the merits of going alone and who I can possibly meet up with on future trips.

I appreciate all the help guys.

--Brian :cool1:

Well, I can't give you any tips yet, because I'm going solo for the first time this October! But I can tell you I am super excited about it! I was nervous at first, after I booked, but I'm really looking forward to doing what I want, when I want to, without having to bend to others' needs. If I want to wander slowly around Epcot for a whole day, I can! If I want to ride Splash Mountain over and over and over, I can! (And I probably will ;) )

I have a feeling this won't be my first time solo!

The biggest (and probably obvious) merit is freedom. You're 100% free (well, within the Disney laws at least ;)) to do what you want, when you want to. You want to sit for 3 hours on Main St. USA? Go for it, there's no one to say nay. Want to ride EE 17 times in a row? Why not!

However, along with this, comes the fact that you have to make it fun for yourself. You don't have that other person (or those other people) there to make the fun for you. Some people are good at this, and they make great solo travelers. Others, not so much. Neither way is "wrong", it's just the way it is.

If you're able to enjoy yourself without much input from others (there will be others around you, so it's not totally on your own), then you'll be absolutely fine.

For me, as an example, I love my camera. It's glued to me where ever I go. As such, when I'm solo touring (which happens for half my trip), it's all about photography. I may sit in one spot for an hour or so attempting to get a certain shot (or set of shots), and that's what does it for me. Obviously, you'll be different, but if you can find what you enjoy, you win.

An idea may be to use the trip(s) as recon for the bigger ones with your travel buddy. Doing things that you're unsure if she'd like and didn't want to take the time out of the normal trips for, and see if they may fit into them or not. If not, no big loss, if so, you'll both have a great new experience the next time.

I also don't have the experience, as my very first solo trip is coming up in September. I am so excited for it and even more excited because its been a few years since my last trip to wdw. I have read a ton of great experiences from people who have gone solo and love it. I'm looking forward to being able to do what I want, when I want and how I want to hit each park. :woohoo:

in my experience, how much you enjoy your solo visits to Disney is usually comparable to how much you enjoy (or not) being solo in your everyday life.

If you are comfortable doing things solo at home (eating dinner alone, going to the movies by yourself), then soloing at Disney will be no problem. If you are used to being with someone else all of the time, being alone might feel more awkward for you. You can be as social as you want to be. I've found that the CM's are willing to chat with you if you are feeling lonely. Striking up conversations at the bar or waiting in line can also be fun.

Like the other respondents, I enjoy the freedom to do what I want, when I want, where I want without having to consult/referee the choices to be made (what food, which park, what time to get up or leave, etc.) I was one of those who DID ride EE 10 times in a row, just because I could! On another trip, in each park I went to each photo spot marked on the park maps and took a picture with me in it. Didn't go on a lot of the rides, but got some wonderful memories and made some good friends because of it. I've also taken the Segway tour, the Behind the Scenes tour, and the MK tours for a different experience. You are a part of a small group during these tours so it's a nice way to interact with your fellow guests.

Also, going solo at Disney is a great way to people watch. You can tell which ones are truly enjoying their time there and those who are not. For those who aren't, I offer them a smile and think to myself, "I am thankful for being here and enjoying my time at the most magical place on earth!":cloud9:

aVASTGrl: When are you going in October? I went this past October and had a blast at the Food and Wine Festival.

Cafeen: I love the idea of recon for future trips. There are so many things that get lost in the fold when 2 people are actually there together, even if they say they want to do something when they're planning the trip.

mahannie: I am a person who enjoy doing things alone. I've actually blown off plans with friends to do something by myself instead. I always feel, though, that vacation is a different animal. I mean it would be one thing to sit on a beach in Aruba, but I guess I've always considered Disney a shared experience. But I guess if people do it solo, there must be something to it.

My problem is that it has always been DD and me together. We have had so much fun together at WDW. She will be in college and we are planning a trip together in Jan 2013 but I don't want to wait that long. I worry that I will miss her so much that I will be sad. I just feel like I have to try it once though because I won't know if I enjoy going by myself until I try it. I think I would enjoy it but then I think about how I have always enjoyed the planning and everything with my DD too. So I have mixed feelings.

When my DD was still home, she and I were then ones that did the Disney trips and we both loved it. I started doing solo trips when she was in college. My DS was living in Tampa then and they would come up for a couple days with me or I would visit them before or after Disney. That transitioned me into being solo. They moved to Oregon and my DD married and moved to Wisconsin. I continued with my WDW trips but now completely solo. The more I go, the more I love it. I do call all three kids a lot (much more than when I am at home) when I'm on a solo trip because I like to share experiences with them and they like to hear them. One family or another joins me for a trip every 2-3 years, but I go solo 1-3 times each year.

Jeralyn

FEAR NOT! :thumbsup2

Even if you are not a solo type of person you can still have a great time going to Disney solo. I think the key is how much you like Disney. If you like it enough, then just being there is worth the solo trip.

If it will be your first trip without someone, you may miss them some, but it won't be long before you mind is off of that and back onto the next fun attraction.

My first tip would be to talk to the CM's and the people around you in line. I am not the type of person who normally starts a conversation with a stranger, but I have found that talking with those around me makes me feel less alone. It is amazing some of the wonderful people I have met not to mention the stories I have heard!

Tip # 2, if you think you will be lonely at night in your room, you may want to consider timing your park visit so that you come back to your room as late as possible, so you can "drop" into sleep.

Tip 3. If you still want more "people time", check the boards for possible meetups.

Have fun!

P.S. What is K8?

aVASTGrl: When are you going in October? I went this past October and had a blast at the Food and Wine Festival.

I'm going for the last week of October, so I'll be there for Halloween! :thumbsup2 It will be my first F&W so I'm really looking forward to getting more details about the different booths and demonstrations!

Very glad to read that I'm not the only solo traveler to Disney. I went to both WDW and Disneyland solo within three months of each other two years ago. I enjoyed it immensely, as it was POTC then Haunted Mansion, then POTC, then Haunted Mansion, then "Oh, five minute wait for Haunted Mansion?, lets go!" For pretty much the entire first day of both trips. :)

.... I enjoyed it immensely, as it was POTC then Haunted Mansion, then POTC, then Haunted Mansion, then "Oh, five minute wait for Haunted Mansion?, lets go!" For pretty much the entire first day of both trips. :)

Just had to laugh. You sound exactly like me. (Just add Splash Mountain in occasionally too.) :rotfl:

I'm going for the last week of October, so I'll be there for Halloween! :thumbsup2 It will be my first F&W so I'm really looking forward to getting more details about the different booths and demonstrations!

That's great. I ate some really awesome food last year and I enjoyed the booze, too :lmao:

I definitely think I could have fun on a solo trip, even if might be lacking a little, but i was wondering what everyone thought about the male vs. female factor when it comes to going alone. Is it just me, or does it seem more acceptable for a solo female than a solo male?

Perhaps I'm letting too much anxiety permeate my opinion. :upsidedow

Honestly, I think you are right, a solo guy might raise more attention, especially if he were between 30-45 and riding Dumbo. Of course we Diser's understand. :thumbsup2

For the most part, I don't think most people are seeing much outside of their own trip involvement.

The other side of the coin is that I think females have to worry more about their personal security on solo trips than guys have to.

That's great. I ate some really awesome food last year and I enjoyed the booze, too :lmao:

I definitely think I could have fun on a solo trip, even if might be lacking a little, but i was wondering what everyone thought about the male vs. female factor when it comes to going alone. Is it just me, or does it seem more acceptable for a solo female than a solo male?

Perhaps I'm letting too much anxiety permeate my opinion. :upsidedow
There was a thread about this very thing not too long about, it may even still be on the first page here.

In the end, do what you want. Do you really care if some nameless, ignorant badword thinks you're doing something sketchy? I know that I sure as hell don't! (Granted, I did cancel my solo 1900 PF dinner for this reason... and the food... but that was stretching it a bit much... I really wanted to hang with those step-sisters tho!)

Chances are, that most people won't even notice, or will assume that you're "family" is elsewhere for the time being, and you can bask in the knowledge that you're doing what you want, when you want, without having to ask someone else if they want to do it too.

I've done many solo trips and they're always fun! Here are my suggestions:

Eat at TS locations. Many people think it's awkward to dine alone at a TS but I've found I get so much extra attention from the servers that I don't feel alone.

Get your picture taken with the characters and at the photo spots throughout the parks. You want to make sure you have some memories of your trip with you being in the picture!

As far as male vs female solo traveling, I can honestly say I've never paid any attention to who is alone or with others when I'm at Disney. From the boards it sounds like there are quite a few men that travel solo.

Have a great time!!

I did a partially solo trip last October (Pop/CR) and a fully solo trip in January (at AKL; TRs in my signature) and am currently planning a longer solo trip in September (at BC, though I'm considering taking my mom). I love it. It is so great to do what I want, when I want, with no one else to consider. I hop from park to park at will, and no one tells me to hurry up or slow down. I sit on the bench for a rest, and no one tells me they're ready to go now. I browse slowly through the stores and no one says they're bored. Crowds? No one to complain but me, and no one to make me stand in a long line if I don't want to.

Downsides? If you get stuck on a ride, there's no one sitting there to laugh about it with (or to commiserate). If you get a good picture, there's no one there to show right away. If you get sick, there's no help there either. But I can lounge around the room in my underwear and be up at 6 a.m. for rope drop and no one protests. Yay for solo trips!

I went with a big bang last time and I was mega rushed so I took some time to myself and did Epcot and Hollywood Studios on my own. I am quite a chatty person so I made loads of friends whilst I was on my own and then I just enjoyed the freedom to do exactly what I wanted :-) It was awesome, I highly recommend it.

I've actually gone quite a few times alone. FLying for a living puts me alot of fun places and usually I'm the only true disney lover on the crew so I tend to take alot of SoCal and Orlando trips just to hit the parks. Sometimes I don't even go into the parks I just walk around the property and relax and take it all in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter