Relpax/migraine meds

MouseLover

DIS Veteran
I have taken Relpax as needed for migraines for several years. With insurance coverage changes, I now pay $237 for six pills. So I'm wondering what others have taken that work but cost less. I've tried imitrex but it didn't work for me.

I've had the most success with almotriptan, but have tried most of the main triptan family of drugs. Almotriptan makes me the least nauseous of the ones I've tried.

ETA: I use excedrin migraine a lot as well and it also helps a lot.

I use to take Relpax but now just take Topamax twice a day everyday. This has gotten me down to a migraine once a month. The only other time I have a migraine is if it's really a stressful time or I don't take my Topamax on time. Topamax has been a life saver for me. I know it doesn't work for everyone but it has for me. Hope you find something that works for you. Topamax is now in generic too so it doesn't cost me as much.

I have the best luck with Zomig (Zolmitriptan). I pay (before insurance - I tend to the the pay out-of-pocket and then submit approach) about $106 for 12 pills. I'm in Canada though. It was about double that until a couple of years ago when the generic version came out.

Going Gluten Free helped me the most.

I have the best luck with Zomig (Zolmitriptan). I pay (before insurance - I tend to the the pay out-of-pocket and then submit approach) about $106 for 12 pills. I'm in Canada though. It was about double that until a couple of years ago when the generic version came out.

I do the Zomig nasal spray and it has changed my life. I have menstrual migraines & the Zomig has helped to break the cycle. I was VERY skeptical (I'm a nurse) and it's been terrific. It's not systemic so you can take other oral meds with it if you need to. I do not. I tried Frova (it's a pill) and it was ok but I like the nasal spray much better.

It's expensive but worth it, it comes in a box with 6 doses, it was a few hundred dollars before insurance. The manufacturer also has a program that take $50 off the price, so after I meet my deductible it's under $20 for 6 doses. I think I have pretty good insurance coverage.

I use it much less now than in the past. This month I only needed 1 dose. I find that if I can take the medication as soon as I get an inkling that a migraine is coming on & then sleep for an hour or two the migraine is gone and doesn't come back.

I have the best luck with axert. But it hurts like hell. I believe it's going generic this year, so should be cheaper and my insurance can stop fighting it when I get it refilled. I can only get 9 pills a month though. Sometimes I just take percogesic, 1000mg ibuprofen, and two alieve and hope for the best.

Relpax has their own discount card where you pay no more than $10 per fill

Relpax was my miracle migraine medication, and then I became allergic to it.

I also previously had an allergic reaction to Trex-i-met,

There was also another good one that worked for me, Frova

now, I can't take any of them, since they are all from the same drug class and I've had 3 major allergic reactions

https://www.relpax.com/co-pay-card

Relpax never worked for me. Imitrex will work but I have some side effects and the headache will often return after 5-6 hours. My neurologist prescribed Amerge (I get the generic version)and that wipes my headaches away for good. I also have far fewer side effects with it. Another tip my neurologist gave me was to take an Aleve (Naproxin Sodium) at the same time as my Amerge or Imitrex and that lessens or erases any side effects.

horrendous migraine history here-disabling and leading to permanent vision/hearing loss.

what's been the best treatment for me was finding out my triggers-and avoiding or having treatment for those. foods/scents-avoidance at all cost. stress-if not avoidable/involuntary I take a VERY low dosage of valium. neck/shoulder pain-aleve, in fact aleve has become a very good general headache/beginning of migraine control. with the weird ones (not a headache, but everything smells a certain scent-bacon primarily for me-, the 'Allison in wonderland' feeling-where you would swear your body or parts of it are as big as a parade float) it's just taking a reasonable amount of the valium so I don't stress over it/compound it-and try to sleep it off.

What works for someone else is not necessarily going to work for you. What works may depend on the cause of your migraines. You need to work with your medical team to discover this. Have you explained your payment needs to your physician so that something different can be prescribed? Has a generic Beta blocker been tried?

One good free thing you can try is the app called " iheadache". It helps you track your headaches and triggers so you can try and pinpoint causes. My neurologist loves that I bring my report from the app in with me to each appointment. She finds it really helpful.

Imitrex works best for me but excedrin migraine also is really great.

As others have said, I try to avoid triggers. right now it's hard because I get allergy triggered migraines. I'm fanatical about keeping pollen outside right now since the pollen count is off the charts.

Mine are triggered by heat and my menstrual cycle. I can't escape the heat here in South Texas but I do try to stay hydrated and wear a hat when I do have to be outdoors in the heat. I was getting a migraine almost every day during the summer until my doctor put me on a low dose of amitryptiline as a preventative. I also take Maxalt when I do get a headache and that does help if I take it early enough. Thank God it has gone generic finally.

I just did Botox today for migraines , hoping it works because IT HURT!!! my insurance will pay for every 3 months.. If I can go through it again lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter