• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Relocating to North/South Carolina. Any input?

K&KsMom

Mouseketeer
Hi all~
My DH and I have been talking about relocating our family to NC or SC. We have just sold our house and now would like to take the next year to secure a location and build a home. We are hoping to cut living expenses down and still have a nice home to live in. We currently live in the northeast where the cost of living is crazy right now.
We are looking for a large new home, safe area, top rated schools, and a decent sports program. Does anyone have any ideas/input?
Thank you
K

Come on down, y'all! A few questions to narrow down your search:

What kind of decent sports program - pro, college, youth? Any sport in particular?

Are you location dependent for your type of job, or can you live anywhere?

What size city do you want - large like Charlotte or Raleigh, small town? Population one million, one hundred thousand, or one thousand?

Do you like the beach? the mountains? both equally? We have it all here!

Proximity to a major airport important?

Do you have an idea of the cost per square foot you want to pay for your house?

Favorite cities for us in NC/SC - Wilmington (of course!); Raleigh/Cary; suburbs of Charlotte; Winston-Salem; Asheville, NC; Greenville, SC; Charleston, SC - some are pricier than others.

subscribing popcorn::

OP - I'm from the northeast also and dream about moving there too! I have a question if you don't mind....do you worry about the hurricane season down there?

Thanks for your reply. We are looking for a city around 40,000-70,000. We are looking for good high school sports program. Thinking for the future!!! Both my husband and I have degrees in teaching. I have been a sahm for 3 years but will return to teaching in a couple of years.
We are looking for a 3,000 + sq. foot home for around $200,000. We are planning on a visit during the first week in August to the Charlotte area. I have done a lot of research on Fort Mill, SC and Concord, NC. I would like to know about the taxes in NC and SC. Do you have any information?

K

I love the area I live in (Gastonia, NC) I'm 20 min. southwest of Charlotte Douglas Intnl Airport (those living in Charlotte can rarely make it to the airport in 20 min. or less) 2 hours from Appalachian Ski Mtn., 4 hrs. from Myrtle Beach and about 9 1/2 hours from WDW! Cost of living is better here than the north from what I've heard from family who live from Detroit to Canada. We do have good schools and many people work in Charlotte yet chose to live in Gaston County. We're growing every day but still have areas with a small town feel. I've lived in or visited many states but will always feel like this is "home". PM me if I can be of any help to you. Good luck in your search!

edited to add: There are alot of opportunities for teaching in NC. I don't think you'll find a 3000+ sq ft home for your price range, though. Our home is about 2100 sq ft but with a 6 car garage/workshop and the tax value is about $189,000.00. Much, much higher in Charlotte. I believe taxes are lower in Ft. Mill, SC, but probably higher in Concord. Check the sites for Chamber of Commerce for each location and you should be able to either find the information you need or links to the info.

I live in So. Charlotte, on the border of NC and SC. Personally I would choose Ft. Mill before Concord, much nicer quality of life, less traffic, lower taxes, great schools. Be aware that while the cost of living is lower here, so are wages...you may want to check out potential salaries for teaching and see if it makes a difference to you. If you have any other specific questions let us know! We've lived here for 12 years now and really like it.

Also, be aware that your city of 40-70,000 is non-existant in the areas you mentioned. It's really just one large metropolitan area!

I live in Concord, and you'll have to cut some serious corners to get a $200,000 3,000-square-foot house in a good school district, especially with new construction. You'll find plenty of teaching jobs, though, especially at the middle and high school level. You'll also find pretty good sports programs at all the high schools unless you're looking for hockey!

Taxes in the city limits are a little over $1 per $100 valuation -- for your $200,000 house, somewhere around $2,000-$2,200.

I live in Concord, and you'll have to cut some serious corners to get a $200,000 3,000-square-foot house in a good school district, especially with new construction. You'll find plenty of teaching jobs, though, especially at the middle and high school level. You'll also find pretty good sports programs at all the high schools unless you're looking for hockey!

It's unlikely you would get a 3000 sq. foot house in Fort Mill for $200,000 as well. You could probably get one for $250,000 with a lower level of amenities (vinyl floors, laminate counters, etc.). Taxes in Fort Mill are probably lower than in Concord - our experience from living in NC and SC is that property taxes per $1000 valuation in SC are about 2/3 what they are in NC. That varies with the area, of course.

Depending where you are in the Northeast, the tax savings alone can help justify a higher purchase price for your house. When we lived in upstate NY, our taxes were about $3 per $1000 valuation. In Wilmington, they are $1 per valuation.

I found this website when I was searching for info for you:

www.fortmillnewhomes.com.

It is a realtor's site, so take that for what it is worth. It has links to the school info as well as newer home listings.

Being close to Charlotte is a huge plus, and being on the SC side is much more affordable. There is so much to do in Charlotte, and you can get anywhere from the Charlotte airport. And it is an easy drive to WDW! :thumbsup2

We just moved from NJ to Myrtle Beach, SC - the Carolina Forest area. We love it! We had our home built it and we love our development.

The school my DS goes to is so much further ahead then where he was in NJ.

I do worry about the hurricanes, my DH doesn't. I'm just hoping none will come thru anytime soon.

I have no regrets making this move - this move gave me the chance to become a SAHM.

I live in Gastonia. Originally from New Orleans. I've only been here 1 year, but I like it. Coming from a high crime city, I love the peace and tranquility that I get from not being overly concerned with being murdered.

Hey! I can't offer much detail since we are recent transplants (moved from MD 2 years ago.) We are living in Charleston, SC and my sister lives in Wilmington, NC (also a transplant.) Both areas are great! The main thing for us- the winters are much better here :thumbsup2 Let me know if you want more info on either area and good luck with your decision.

I live in Hillsborough NC(between Chapel hill and Durham) and it is unlikely you would find a 3,000 square foot home for $200,000 in most medium sized towns in NC. Here, you could find a fairly new house of that size for $230,000-$250,000. You might find something in your price range in Durham, but you would need to be careful of the location,as far as schools go. The good news is that NC is really doing a lot for teachers right now. The goal is supposedly for us to be in the top 10 paying states for teachers by the year 2010. I think we have been in the lowest percentage until they gave huge raises last year. I am a teacher, so its been a big help to me.

You might try some of the smallish towns that are growing towards the larger cities. Morrisville, Apex and Holly Springs may be options. They are all right outside the RTP area and Cary. Chapel Hill has a great school system, but is expensive to live in, close smallish towns are Hillsborough, Carrboro and Pittsboro. One great thing about this area is that we have UNC CHapel Hill, Duke, NCCU, and NC State, plus some other small colleges in very close proximity. Interstate 85 and 40 also pass right by Hillsborough, so it is convenient for commutes and travel.

Marsha

We are from the upstate SC area and love it. Our airport is Greenville/Spartanburg Airport (easy in and out from the interstate), for whatever that's worth. The areas around us are Greenville (which is doing tons of revitalizing to the city--beautiful), Powdersville(small, but rapidly growing, great schools), Easley (low property taxes and a small town, with lots of restaurants and a Walmart, new developments coming, and definately could find a nice,not brand new, house for around $200K), Peidmont, Anderson, etc. We have Clemson University about 20 minutes from Powdersville and Easley, Furman U right outside of Greenville, and there is also Greenville Tech which is scattered all over Greenville, as well as other small colleges and private schools. Also, homeschooling is very popular here. I homeschooled for the past 4 years and my daughter is going to private school next year. We also have plenty of recreation here, with the Bilo Center, Palmetto Expo, and Peace Center, which offer lots of concerts, shows, etc. Furman also does a lot of public things. We are also convenient to lakes, mountains, beautiful Greenville City Falls Park, the Riverbanks Zoo, and lots of outdoor festivals. The winters are pretty mild compared to the north and summers too, compared to the south. We are about 2 hours from atlanta GA where there are tons of touristy things to do. Also about 2 hours from Charlotte.We are right in the middle of everything! Great family place! And best of all, I know of a really great church that serves a really awesome God! Let me know if I can help. I'd be glad to.

We live in Union County, just south of Charlotte. We like it here. Our area has the highest preforming schools so it isn't cheap, but it is cheaper than most private schools for 3 kids.

Is your DH working up there this next year? When will he be looking for a job down here?

Dawn

I've lived on the coast of NC and SC and LOVE it. When DH and I 1st got married he was offered a job in VT - within 6 months I was BEGGING him to move us back South. Now we live in Myrtle Beach (also in the Carolina Forest area!!!!!) and love it. The schools are good in this area, as well. My daughter, who supposedly was going to "wonderful" Vermont schools had NO IDEA what was going on in her math class. The teacher and I got her up to speed.

The hurricanes haven't been bad while I've been her (total 9 years),and we even had one year of getting hit 5 times - the worst part of that for me was spending so much time with my ex-.

Staying far enough from the coast (and it doesn't have to be FAR) and the intracoastal waterway cuts down A LOT on the threat of flood.

It's SO worth looking into. Good luck!

HUrricanes are not too big a deal here unless you live on an island or right on the beach. My aunt has a house in Emerald Isle 3/4 mile from the beach and she has had no damage in 20 years of living there(save a few tree limbs down) Of course, inland you can see the remnants and once in a while, you have one stay tropical storm strong. Then the main issue is losing electricity for a few hours or a few days. Living 2 hours inland, I have had this happen 3-4 times in my 36 years.

Marsha

Keep in mind that with the lower cost of living in the south, generally comes lower salaries. So, if you are making Northeastern big city teaching salaries, it probably won't be comprable down south.

Additionally, the south is far less unionized than the NE, so keep that in mind as you plan this move.

We are from the upstate SC area and love it. Our airport is Greenville/Spartanburg Airport (easy in and out from the interstate), for whatever that's worth. The areas around us are Greenville (which is doing tons of revitalizing to the city--beautiful), Powdersville(small, but rapidly growing, great schools), Easley (low property taxes and a small town, with lots of restaurants and a Walmart, new developments coming, and definately could find a nice,not brand new, house for around $200K), Peidmont, Anderson, etc. We have Clemson University about 20 minutes from Powdersville and Easley, Furman U right outside of Greenville, and there is also Greenville Tech which is scattered all over Greenville, as well as other small colleges and private schools. Also, homeschooling is very popular here. I homeschooled for the past 4 years and my daughter is going to private school next year. We also have plenty of recreation here, with the Bilo Center, Palmetto Expo, and Peace Center, which offer lots of concerts, shows, etc. Furman also does a lot of public things. We are also convenient to lakes, mountains, beautiful Greenville City Falls Park, the Riverbanks Zoo, and lots of outdoor festivals. The winters are pretty mild compared to the north and summers too, compared to the south. We are about 2 hours from atlanta GA where there are tons of touristy things to do. Also about 2 hours from Charlotte.We are right in the middle of everything! Great family place! And best of all, I know of a really great church that serves a really awesome God! Let me know if I can help. I'd be glad to.

I live in Easley/Powdersville area in SC. Our house is 1850 sq. ft., 2 story brick & vinyl, 3 bd, 2 1/2 ba. We bought it about 11 yrs. ago when it was 1 yr. old. Our value on our property taxes now is $165,000. It's in a nice, quiet subdivision. We like it but are wanting to either build on or upgrade to a bigger home soon. (Probably build on.) Just because we now have 3 kids. We love the area. Great schools. Close to anything you need. I don't homeschool. My DH is a state trooper & I work at BMW mfg. There's a lot of employment opportunities here. BMW has been hiring (we're expanding). And it has a lot of area suppliers. Also lots of new businesses being built. Let me know it I can help also.
Of course for us-when DH retires-we want to move to Florida! But for raising kids, we love SC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter