• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Relaxing While at Disney? Please help.

jsantini

Disney Vet
I am so excited for my upcoming trip to Disney, which is a mother/daughter trip. We have been to Disney several times before, and each time, I say we're going to slow down our touring pace and have a relaxing vacation...but I never succeed at that. :rolleyes1 I always want to see and do everything; I just get carried away in all the excitement.

This time, we HAVE to relax and set a slower pace, or our trip could be ruined halfway through, as could Christmas at home, which is shortly after our trip if I get too run down. :sick: SO, I'm looking for your favorite tips for rest and relaxation while at WDW. How do I make the most of a slower pace and not feel like I'm missing out when it's time to rest at our resort? Would love to hear from other 'recovering touring commandos' :dance3:

My goal for this trip is to savor special moments and not to return from vacation needing a vacation! :rolleyes:

Grand Floridian. Gardenview tea room. GREAT experience.

As far as atmosphere, I think Grand Floridian or Polynesian. They are on the monorail which makes coming back from MK or Epcot in the afternoons easy and offer a variety of activities and recreation (spas, boating, dining, shopping, etc.) Having a nice, relaxing hotel environment is always the best option at Disney; after being thoroughly worn out, it's nice to come back to someplace peaceful and serene instead of somewhere like Pop Century or an All Star Resort where the kids are still screaming and the pool music never ends! Also, make some ADRs! Sitting down to eat is the best way to unwind at the parks without missing out on the action, and they offer solid time to recuperate.

We have 3 dedicated rest days. If we get itchy for
the park we promised ourselves we would go later at night just to shop Main St MK.

There are Soooooo many things you can do outside the parks. Try renting a bike at POLY do the campfires at GF, or just explore the resorts. We had a blast doing that last time.

Sleep in, shop, order room service at night, watch the water pageant and fireworks from GF!!

First, I see you are staying @ the WL, a truly lovely resort at Christmas, relax in the rockers by the fireplace and just drink in the atmosphere - especially the WL's gorgeous tree. Plus you are only a boat ride away from the MK - much easier (and more relaxing) than taking buses to the park (I assume you are using Disney transport.)
Second, you'll have a balcony, make it a point to visit it for coffee or tea in the morning and in the afternoon before heading out to a park/dinner - reflect on what has been good so far and on what is to come.
Stay in the park you are eating in or near - don't hop all over, and don't dash back and forth in a park to hit 'favorite' rides, just amble, pause, try new rides on your way between big ones.
Things not to miss @ Christmas time -
Make it a point to stop and really look at each tree in front of each park. They do such wonderful jobs making the parks beautiful for the holidays and so many people just rush by.
Epcot - holiday illuminations and every country's Christmas decorations in their stores plus pause for any special santas or drummers or the Irish singers.
Stroll out the international gate of Epcot and into the beach club lobby and look at the carousel, then maybe grab sundaes at Beaches and Cream. The Christmas display at Boardwalk is cute as well and worth a boat ride over to see.
DHS - Osborne lights, be there when they turn on and just watch and enjoy.
MK - watching the castle light up and all of the Christmas ornaments in the stores.
AK - Christmas ornaments in stores and special non seasonal gear. Take in Lion King or Nemo show or both.
I always remind myself that Disney isn't going anywhere and whatever I miss this time, I'll be sure to catch next time.

At WL I love sitting on my balcony for morning coffee, afternoon break with a good book, evening glass of wine :). Nice beach with lounges. A nature path to FW. Renting searaycers. Watching the electric water parade from beach or balcony. Taking the Tour of the Lodge. Walk over to WLV and check out the Carolwood Room. It has lots of memorabilia of Walts steam trains. Do the FW Segway tour.

I am so excited for my upcoming trip to Disney, which is a mother/daughter trip. We have been to Disney several times before, and each time, I say we're going to slow down our touring pace and have a relaxing vacation...but I never succeed at that. :rolleyes1 I always want to see and do everything; I just get carried away in all the excitement.

This time, we HAVE to relax and set a slower pace, or our trip could be ruined halfway through, as could Christmas at home, which is shortly after our trip if I get too run down. :sick: SO, I'm looking for your favorite tips for rest and relaxation while at WDW. How do I make the most of a slower pace and not feel like I'm missing out when it's time to rest at our resort? Would love to hear from other 'recovering touring commandos' :dance3:

My goal for this trip is to savor special moments and not to return from vacation needing a vacation! :rolleyes:

Staying at the WL gives you a great start!! I swear that just walking in there instantly calms me. :goodvibes

How long is your trip?? We were always commando but that is when our trips were 7-8 nights long. Once we kicked our trips out to 10 nights, we finally found that we were able to just relax because we didn't feel like we were "running out of time".

You are going to love Disney for Christmas! I have to say that mindset is the key IMO. It is so easy to forget to enjoy all of the little things in order to get back to full speed ahead so I would suggest that you make a list of the things you want to enjoy. I keep saying enjoy......to "hit". That's because it takes time to really enjoy all of the wonderful touches that Disney has in place for the Holidays.

My family is not a commando kind of family, touring that way does not work for us. But honestly, we could be that family if we were not careful.

We schedule TS meals because that gives us a chance to relax and just talk about what we saw and what we want to do next.

We make sure we have plenty of pool time. I have taken my Christmas cards with me and written them out by the pool lounge, although after two cocktails I was not responsible for the shape they were in when I mailed them ;) Even if it is cool it is so relaxing to read by the pool.

Plan time to resort hop and check out all of the decorations. They are lovely and it is fun to see the different themes each resort has.

Others have pointed out how lovely the entire WDW resort is for the Holiday season and they are right. Disney is ot going anywhere and visiting during the season is really a treat so I suggest focusing on the Holiday activities and making sure that you just remind yourself that you don't need to rush, today you can just meander inside to count the Hidden Mickeys. Really.........my DGD and DSIL look for the hidden Mickeys on every Holiday special creation, and they are everywhere! so as they do this we all get a chance to really take in the sights and smells if Christmas all around us.

In Sept 2010 my DH came to me and said he wanted our anniversary trip to be more relaxed ( I was a WDW Commando) he told me that we could change our stay from CSR to the Poly if I promised to slow it down so of course I agreed but thought, Yea right!

Well Im here to tell you that I am NO longer a WDW Commando after that trip! We took time to explore other resorts, and relax at the pool more, shop and take naps and it was a truly romantic trip!

We were at the parks at RD and did alot then ate lunch around 11 and left the parks around 130/2 pm to go back to the Poly and relax or tour other resorts and get a snack and relax. Then around 6 we came back to the parks for more rides and dinner.. We ven naped together in a hammock on the Poly Beach! We got up and watched the sunrise with coffee together coming up over ther castle!

I say since its Christmas season when you go, be there at rope drop and eat early, shop on your way out and tour some of the deluxe resorts to see their christmas decorations!

Do the high tea as someone else suggested, watch a movie outdoors at one of the resorts, go see the christmas decorations, at FW campgrounds.

Do a carraige ride.. The possibilities are endless in WDW!

You picked a great resort to stay at during the holidays :santa:. The WL is beautiful any time of year, but especially so during Christmas. The lobby is gorgeous and it's so relaxing to sit in a rocking chair in front of the huge fireplace taking in the atmosphere of the lodge :cloud9:. We love walking the grounds as it's very peaceful and is a good way to relax and enjoy some down time. On our first couple of trips, we spent all day everyday at the parks and then began to slow down and enjoy everything else around the parks. We now spend alot more time at the resort than we do the parks. We plan TS dinners at other resorts and then explore that resort to see if it's a place we'd like to stay. DTD is also a great place to go during the holidays as there is always something festive going on :goodvibes. I would definitely resort hop to check out the other resort's decorations, eat dinner, or just sit and enjoy the atmosphere. Being at Disney during Christmas is amazing and there's so much to see that I don't think you'll have a problem relaxing and taking it easy. Have a great trip :wizard:.

I love to take an evening "off" and head over to the boardwalk area. That area is beautiful and so much fun, especially during the holidays. I think my favorite night ever in WDW I spent there. We rented one of those peddle bikes (all 9 of us :banana:) and cruised the boardwalk. We got a pizza and ate it at one of the tables outside and finished up with ice cream at Beaches and Cream. It was so relaxing but we weren't just sitting in our room. I can't relax in my room at Disney it just feels wrong :rotfl

Guess i missed where it said you are staying at WL. My choice for a relaxing vacation would be OKW for a first choice and AKL/AKV for a second. But the same priciples apply. As a pp said it is more of a mindset. Relax. Make dinner reservations and plan your park days around that so you don't need to rush around to get there. When you can use the boats for transportation. Take in a few shows maybe a tour. Decide what are your must do attractions if there are any and don't worry about the rest. There is a wonderful artist that will do your portraits in pastels at the GF. Have one done of you and your mother. ( I hope it is still there) Don't feel you have to do anything. If you miss something don't worry. Just say next time. I had a heart attack back in February and have since learned to deal with things in the moment and then let go of them. Don't sweat the little stuff and remember in the end it is all little stuff.

I love mother/daughter trips! My DM and I usually go a week or two before Mother's Day and its always been the most relaxing trip.
Especially since you are staying during the holidays (IMO the best place to be during the holiday season)at WL there are so many hidden nooks and crannies there to explore.
My DM is in her mid 80's and she has bad knees so I make sure we slow down even when she does not want to.
We always just do our "favorites" we usually pick 3 or 4 things from each park that we feel are "our must do's" like PP says its not like you are never going back to Disney so you will not be missing anything.
Find something that you have never done before that you can experience together. Sit on a bench in each park and take in the atmosphere: We love to sit in France at WS; At the end of Hollywood Blvd under an Umbrella in DHS; Near the Partners statue in MK and a nice stroll around the Tree of Life Garden

Ride the boats at DTD: to the resorts as well as around the lake. Ride the monorails just for the scenery.

I know this won't be a popular opinion but I find that when I stay offsite in a condo we have more relaxing vacations than when we are onsite in a regular hotel room. There is space for everyone to stretch out, plus we do things like sleep in and make a nice breakfast or stay up watching movies on the couch. It gives us the atmosphere of home, but with Disney just 10 minutes away. I suppose we could get the same type of feeling at a 2 bedroom DVC but that is way out of our budget.

mkarizona said:
Ride the boats at DTD: to the resorts as well as around the lake. Ride the monorails just for the scenery.

I need to do this!

We like to do a relaxing dinner. I love the San Angel Inn at Epcot. I find it relaxing to look at the boats going by with the volcano in the background. Oh, and a mango margarita helps too:)

We never set an alarm.

My husband reads the newspaper at night.

We go back to the resort when we are tired and watch TV together.

We walk around the resort and take pictures.

Its so tempting to run around like a nut. I am trying to break that trend this time too.
One poster here said it best,
Whatever you miss you can do next time..

UNLESS its Snow White, Mr Toad, The lion king show,..,,,

OH NO URGE TO RUSH RISING!!!!!!

How do I make the most of a slower pace and not feel like I'm missing out when it's time to rest at our resort?
Ask yourself: why am I here?

Are you there to ride a bunch of rides and see a bunch of shows? Or are you there to spend time and reconnect with your daughter? I'm guessing you are there for the second reason, and if so, that means that the parks are just the stage on which that happens.

If you believe that---really and truly believe that---then it is a lot easier to avoid the "just one more" syndrome that inevitably pops up in these situations. Instead, you will also realize that time spent at the pool, or hanging out people watching at the resort, is just as valuable as time spent on (or, more likely, in line for) Space Mountain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter