Relative having stomach stapled - how to support her?

lecach

<font color=darkorchid>Will not get out of bed unl
A relative is having her stomach stapled in December. What is the best way to support her? Anyone have advice of things we could give her? What is her diet likely to look like? Just wondering if I could give her a gift basket of items that would be helpful.

If anyone on the DIS has advice I would appreciate it. I've never known someone to go through this before and just want to show our support.

Thanks!

Although it's kind of obvious, don't give her anything edible unless you know what her diet will look like after the surgery. It can vary from person to person. Other than that, just ask her what she may need. Or does she not want to make a big deal of it.

Once she starts on the weight loss, the best support is to not keep tempting foods around when she visits. Hopefully they had started her on a diet before surgery because there's no magic in the procedure. One still needs to change their lifestyle and eating habits which is the hard part.

Give her pretty flowers, a book, or some magazines. Give her a hug. If she has children, maybe take them for an afternoon. Let her know that you realize she's put thought into the decision and that you respect her for taking steps to better her health.

I had GBP 9 years ago. Don't give her food, she will be on liquid & soft diet for 5-6 weeks. She will then be on a high protein diet and will more than likely have reactions to some foods, so she will need to learn what is good for her.

I can still not eat ice cream or candy with sugar.

The best thing is gift cards for clothes. I am not sure how much she is looking for but I lost 200lbs in a year. My sizes changed monthly & it can be expensive to keep up. The other suggestion is a small portable cooler. I brought my own food everywhere.

Other than that just encourage her all you can. It is a lyfestyle change & you can gain it back. I have rebounded 40lbs and now I am a mostly regular eater & dieter.

Don't bring food.
Try to encourage her to maintain the necessary lifestyle change.
GCs for clothing is a great idea!:thumbsup2

Buy something to clean up vomit. She's going to be puking a lot until it soaks in that she can only eat a 1/4 cup of food an hour.

I had Gastric Bypass Surgery and I didn't puke at all. I can also eat just about every food - as long as it is in small portions, so everyone is different. The person who said to give her clothes is right. A gift certificate to lane bryant or Catherines or Avenue or even Ross is a GREAT idea. My first month was HELL and I needed emotional support - someone to tell me that my life would get back to normal. After that everything was GREAT!! I've lost 160 lbs total (before and after surgery) in a little over a year. And the most important thing is that I am no longer at immentant risk of being diabetic, which is the reason I had the surgery in the first place. There will be things she will be able to do for the first time in a while that she might need your support in - taking long walks, going to the gym - these things might feel strange at first so having suppor is nice.

I did not puke once in the first year. I did after but not from amount of food but from a particular food.

Oh and it is not puking, it is dumping - HUGE difference. One of the the things that is severed is the ability to produce bile which accompanies vomit, so different.

Oh on the supportive side she will be amazed and kinda obnoxious about her new life for awhile. LOL. I ran the Goofy Marathon 15 months after my GBP and GOD I was such a PIA about it!!

My wife had gastric bypass last Monday... She had no problem physically but is undergoing MANY emotional issues. It is like she went through a terrible divorce overnight. Her best friend/confidant/lover "food" became her worst enemy. So, she and I think many GBS patients need compassionate care and understanding with lots of support and encouragement. Since she is my wife, I have had to step in and help her deal with questions and concerns that need to be addressed with medical people who may have the answers but not know how to get that across to patients. Anyway, gifts of food or food items wouldn't be a great idea in my experience. Also, voicing your ideas or take on what's happening may not be the first thing to offer. Each patient seems to go through this in his/her own way..... you have to let them do that and sometimes stand back and let it happen no matter what you think. But do advocate for them to be good decision makers. She gained 14 pounds within 2 days of surgery. I had to question the surgeon why he stopped her lasix and behold when she was put back on it, she lost 14 lbs in two days (all water retention after surgery!). Her blood sugar dropped into the 60's and until I called both surgeon and primary caregiver and took her to them, they wouldn't stop her diabetic meds, but now she is off both and doing fine with blood sugars of 100..... seems diabetes may be under control in only 2 days! Help your relative stay focused on the prize at the end of the journey (although it never ends) losing weight is only the first prize-- ending or controlling diabetes, hypertension, etc. saves lives!

I am a nurse on a surgical unit that handles bariatric surgeries. I would recommend that you offer any support you can give to your relative, mostly emotional or your time! Many patients end up with depression when they realize their lifestyle is going to change so drastically. I see quite the spectrum of different reactions after surgery. Some people are very motivated and ready to get up and move and get healthy, other people are starving and already thinking about how deprived of food (happiness) they are going to be. It is amazing what power food can have over us. I hope that your relative goes through the process easily :). I think gift cards for clothing is a nice idea, but wait till the lbs start dropping off so it doesn't make your relative feel pressure to achieve a smaller size.

She will need Protein powder to keep up with getting her protein in.
How about samples of different types of protein? The larger the dose of protein the better. I used to live on bullets. They have 40 grams of protein in them and you can mix them with water.
Hope your friend does well! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter