Rejected Cast Member (racism)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mean Disneyworld. They hire lots of Creole/Black people being that's it's in Florida and close to the south where many black people are.

I mean here in Los Angeles/Orange County area, Disneyland.

I have not seen any black HR workers, parking lot attendants, admissions attendants. Nothing.

I seen maybe one light skinned black lady working at Space Mountain and that was pretty much it.

That really surprises me if it is true. I grew up in the area and a good percentage of my high school class worked there at one point or another. I never did, but I did not interview well back then. It was a real mix of race/ethnicity back when I went a lot.

Oath,

you say that you applied for the College Program 3x and did not get in, then decided to apply as a cast member and did not get a job either, due to the fact that you are not white.

With all due respect, even if your claim was valid about the 4th shot and the interviewer or Disney being racist, how can you explain not getting in 3x on the college program? Those interviews are all application/web based/ phone, and NO ONE would have any idea of your race or background unless you chose to tell them, no?

Not trying to be mean...I just don't think that any of the first 3 rejections would appear to be based on your race or ethnicity, so it kind of points to the fact that something in your demeanor/background/application is telling them you are not a good candidate.

Good luck in your job search.

pixiedust:

No one here is trying to whitewash you, hun; I think most of us are trying to help you figure out what you can do to become a better candidate the next time you try to get the job. It's not the color of your skin that's the problem; the way I see it, it's the attitude you project with your words.

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder and are looking for racism where none exists. Lose the chip, and don't like act like everyone is racist for not hiring/liking you. The way you come off here it isn't that surprising that you haven't gotten any of the jobs.

To the OP: As a whole the world is still a racist place, plain and simple, no sense in hiding it. However, that does not mean that the company, nor the HR interviewer that you met with were racist. Additionally, in today's day and age (especially when it comes to large corporations) the focus on equal employment is better than ever. When it comes to smaller companies it is less prevalent, so I could understand if your concern/complaint was over a 10-20 person large business, but this is not the case. We are talking about a company that employs 71,000 people (and that is just WDW). I can say with 100% accuracy that not all of those people are White/Caucasian. At this current moment in time the "job market" is pretty limited, and it has been for the past 8-10 years. There are many people fighting for the same positions and it will really come down to who the most qualified candidates are. I am 21 years old. Three years ago I made the decision to discontinue my goal at a college education until I decide what I truly want to do with my life, because I knew that getting a job without a college education would be just as difficult as getting one with a college education. I have had no trouble finding employment. I am not a CEO, I am not a regional/district/store/company manager. But I have one steady full time job with benefits, and one steady part time job in addition to that. I work hard every day of my life and have no complaints. So, I find it very disheartening to see people claiming that a company is racist because you were not hired.

Continuing on to the point here. I am in no way claiming that woman you met is not racist, because I do not personally know her and therefore have no idea on her racial stance. I am going to state that the company as a whole does not discriminate based on age, race, color, gender or the like. I hope that at some point during Veronica's time with the company that she has hired people of other race and color. I would find it hard to believe that the Disney corporation would keep her employed if they noticed a trend that she only hired people of a certain race or ethnicity. But I digress... All in all you may have been a good candidate for the job, until a better candidate came along.

I apologize if I have crossed any lines with this post but I believe that it is important for people to understand that there is always more than what they hear or see. Maybe you wore jeans and the next person wore dress pants. Maybe you smiled wide but the next person smiled wider. Maybe you worked at Target but the next person worked at Macy's. All in all, never give up especially if it is something that you have always dreamed of doing. However, it appears that these unsuccessful attempts have acted as a deterrent to you and it would seem that you are no longer interested in employment from this company. If that should be the case then good luck to you in your future endeavors.

What do you mean I don't have Disney qualities?

In other words, you're saying I have to white wash myself to work there which I'm not going to do. I understand being lively and bubbly with customers and acting happy on the outside when you might not be in the inside, but I'm not gonna change myself for a job at an amusement park. Especially depending on the position that they were going to give me.

The only reason I wanted to be a Disney is because I want to be in the entertainment industry and hoping this would help me somewhat.

You can stop playing psychiatrist now. Reading body language isn't always correct.

A few general bits of advice for you. :)

Have you asked anyone if there was anything specific that they saw/heard that prompted them to not hire you? Do you have any gaps in your employment record that you didn't explain? What about recent employment? If you're not currently employed, I'd highly recommend volunteering somewhere while you're looking for a "real" job. This shows that you're not just a slacker that's out of touch with the work world; it can also build up your networking circle and may just get your foot in the door somewhere.

Take a look at the clothes you wore to the interview. I've seen some horrendous outfits that make the applicant look like they just stepped out of a strip club. A pair of nice slacks, a button down shirt, and a pair of nice shoes (no platform/stiletto heels) will work for any interview at Disney (and 99% of the entry level positions pretty much anywhere). Make sure your makeup is natural looking, and you're not doing anything funky with your hair or jewelry. Less is always more in those areas.

Make sure you're checking any negative attitudes/thoughts at the door when you arrive. These interviewers are trained in reading body language; if you come in with the proverbial chip on your shoulder, they *WILL* see it. No, body language isn't always correct, but it speaks volumes about someone more often than not, so you need to be aware of it. Speaking of arriving, make sure you get there about 10-15 minutes before your interview time, but no more than that. Getting there a few minutes early shows that you respect the interviewer's time, but getting there too early can make some interviewers feel rushed because they don't want to leave you waiting in the lobby too long.

Ask when you should expect to hear something back, and also ask them if there's a way you can contact them if you have any additional questions. If they tell you "you'll hear back in 7-10 days", don't start calling (or e-mailing if they gave you an e-mail address) at the 7th day to ask why you haven't heard anything. If the 10 days passes and you haven't heard anything, call (or e-mail) the next day and ask if a decision has been made yet. And if you are given an e-mail address, don't forget to send a thank you e-mail when you get home that evening. Most people don't do that, so you'll stand out in the interviewer's mind when they're reviewing resumes.

Try not to use "hiccup" words, like "uhh", "ummm", or "like". If a question is asked and you don't have an immediate answer, ask them if you can think about it for a few moments or ask them a clarifying question. Grammar and enunciation are biggies, no matter how eloquent your answer is, if you're using words like "gonna", "wanna", etc., that will overshadow anything you possibly say.

Do you have direct experience in the job you're applying for? If so, highlight that on your resume. If not, change up the wording on your resume so the interviewer can see how you'd use the skills you've gained at other jobs in the job they're trying to fill. Also, keep your job options open. If you go in wanting to work *ONLY* at ride/store/restaurant XYZ, you're most likely not going to get the job, because they hire only a certain number of people for that. If you're willing to work at *ANY* ride/store/restaurant, you're more likely to get a job, and once you're in, you have an inside line to transfers once they become available.

Working at Disney is not a prerequisite for getting into the entertainment industry. Yes, you can sometimes make connections with people that may keep you in mind when they hear of a job opening, but I wouldn't count on it. Depending on what exactly you're wanting to do in the "entertainment industry", Disney may not even be a good option for you. You need to go into a job interview thinking about what *YOU* can do for the company, not what you're going to use the company to do for you.

If Disney is really really really where you want to work, keep applying. But don't give up on everything else just because you might work at Disney one day. Have you tried applying at Universal? When I moved down to Orlando, I applied at Disney because it seemed like the thing to do, but I decided to stop at Universal on the way home and find out about setting up an interview time, and was able to get interviewed that day and offered a job immediately, where Disney said it would be 2-3 weeks before I heard anything. Guess where I spent the next 5 years, running rides, being part of the opening crew for Islands of Adventure, learning how to walk on stilts, and helping with movie/TV show/music video production. :D

A few general bits of advice for you. :)

Have you asked anyone if there was anything specific that they saw/heard that prompted them to not hire you? Do you have any gaps in your employment record that you didn't explain? What about recent employment? If you're not currently employed, I'd highly recommend volunteering somewhere while you're looking for a "real" job. This shows that you're not just a slacker that's out of touch with the work world; it can also build up your networking circle and may just get your foot in the door somewhere.

Take a look at the clothes you wore to the interview. I've seen some horrendous outfits that make the applicant look like they just stepped out of a strip club. A pair of nice slacks, a button down shirt, and a pair of nice shoes (no platform/stiletto heels) will work for any interview at Disney (and 99% of the entry level positions pretty much anywhere). Make sure your makeup is natural looking, and you're not doing anything funky with your hair or jewelry. Less is always more in those areas.

Make sure you're checking any negative attitudes/thoughts at the door when you arrive. These interviewers are trained in reading body language; if you come in with the proverbial chip on your shoulder, they *WILL* see it. No, body language isn't always correct, but it speaks volumes about someone more often than not, so you need to be aware of it. Speaking of arriving, make sure you get there about 10-15 minutes before your interview time, but no more than that. Getting there a few minutes early shows that you respect the interviewer's time, but getting there too early can make some interviewers feel rushed because they don't want to leave you waiting in the lobby too long.

Ask when you should expect to hear something back, and also ask them if there's a way you can contact them if you have any additional questions. If they tell you "you'll hear back in 7-10 days", don't start calling (or e-mailing if they gave you an e-mail address) at the 7th day to ask why you haven't heard anything. If the 10 days passes and you haven't heard anything, call (or e-mail) the next day and ask if a decision has been made yet. And if you are given an e-mail address, don't forget to send a thank you e-mail when you get home that evening. Most people don't do that, so you'll stand out in the interviewer's mind when they're reviewing resumes.

Try not to use "hiccup" words, like "uhh", "ummm", or "like". If a question is asked and you don't have an immediate answer, ask them if you can think about it for a few moments or ask them a clarifying question. Grammar and enunciation are biggies, no matter how eloquent your answer is, if you're using words like "gonna", "wanna", etc., that will overshadow anything you possibly say.

Do you have direct experience in the job you're applying for? If so, highlight that on your resume. If not, change up the wording on your resume so the interviewer can see how you'd use the skills you've gained at other jobs in the job they're trying to fill. Also, keep your job options open. If you go in wanting to work *ONLY* at ride/store/restaurant XYZ, you're most likely not going to get the job, because they hire only a certain number of people for that. If you're willing to work at *ANY* ride/store/restaurant, you're more likely to get a job, and once you're in, you have an inside line to transfers once they become available.

Working at Disney is not a prerequisite for getting into the entertainment industry. Yes, you can sometimes make connections with people that may keep you in mind when they hear of a job opening, but I wouldn't count on it. Depending on what exactly you're wanting to do in the "entertainment industry", Disney may not even be a good option for you. You need to go into a job interview thinking about what *YOU* can do for the company, not what you're going to use the company to do for you.

If Disney is really really really where you want to work, keep applying. But don't give up on everything else just because you might work at Disney one day. Have you tried applying at Universal? When I moved down to Orlando, I applied at Disney because it seemed like the thing to do, but I decided to stop at Universal on the way home and find out about setting up an interview time, and was able to get interviewed that day and offered a job immediately, where Disney said it would be 2-3 weeks before I heard anything. Guess where I spent the next 5 years, running rides, being part of the opening crew for Islands of Adventure, learning how to walk on stilts, and helping with movie/TV show/music video production. :D

Listen to this woman. Follow her advice :)

I would like to speak on this as I am an african american woman whom is a college program alumni of 2011.

I worked at both Magic Kingdom and Downtown Disney at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique and it was the most memorable experience of my life. Not to mention I also roomed with another fellow CP member who was also African American as well.

Going back to what I had previously stated before, you never know who may be reading and or watching. its all about their perception of a situation. I am sorry that you weren't chosen the second time for Disney but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't give up.

I have auditioned for so many things and I wasn't chosen. Not because I was black, it was because I probably wasn't what they were looking for or at the time it wasn't my time at that moment. Disney is a hard ball game to get into. Believe me, I know.

One day it will be your moment. This may be one of those things that you just need to let it happen. Even Walt Disney himself was rejected several times and told that his drawings were no good.

He went on to be something great.

Just something to keep in mind.

From a [former] Disney Cast Member

For those of you wondering, I want to become a voice over artist and singer. I'm really into animation and cartoons like Adventure Time and Total Drama Island and was hoping I could do cartoons and video games and things like that.

I was just hoping someone could see my side of it. Racism and prejudiced isn't always bad. It's wrong but it isn't bad and everyone is guilty of it. Since you want to mention Walt Disney, he was racist himself. He didn't allow african americans into disneyland california on opening day. Not saying he's satan, but that was the time it was and it was acceptable in that period.

For example the megans law website is there to protect yourself and your children by giving public records of criminals in your area. Some of those people could have not even been guilty in the first place or were wrongly accused or have learned their lesson, but we are still being prejudiced towards them.

I don't know, I feel like I'm beating a dead horse.

When I applied for DCP, they never called me back after what I thought were good phone interviews so I don't know the reasons for that. They never told me on the phone that I wasn't hired.

When I applied to work at the park, I applied for all available positions. And my interview was labeled "part time cast member". My first interview was for a retail sales clerk and the second interview was a group interview and I was never told what position I would be working at.

I always dress professionally, I'm very articulate. I don't use ghetto or slang vernacular which is why I'm most upset because I feel like I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't. If I moderate myself and try to be someone I'm not, they could perceive that as being fake. If I overdo it, they could think I"m being a smart *** and think I'm better than the company and that's a no no as well.

And someone asked have I tried another amusement park? And yes I applied at knotts berry farm and had a little stint there but unfortunately they hired me at the water park as a temp hire and water parks are only open during the summer and I haven't been able to find work since.

I've also applied at Universal many times but they haven't contacted me back.

I don't know I love the disneyland uniforms. especially the haunted mansion ones. Idk, I just suck at life.

For those of you wondering, I want to become a voice over artist and singer. I'm really into animation and cartoons like Adventure Time and Total Drama Island and was hoping I could do cartoons and video games and things like that.

I was just hoping someone could see my side of it. Racism and prejudiced isn't always bad. It's wrong but it isn't bad and everyone is guilty of it. Since you want to mention Walt Disney, he was racist himself. He didn't allow african americans into disneyland california on opening day. Not saying he's satan, but that was the time it was and it was acceptable in that period.

For example the megans law website is there to protect yourself and your children by giving public records of criminals in your area. Some of those people could have not even been guilty in the first place or were wrongly accused or have learned their lesson, but we are still being prejudiced towards them.

I don't know, I feel like I'm beating a dead horse.

When I applied for DCP, they never called me back after what I thought were good phone interviews so I don't know the reasons for that. They never told me on the phone that I wasn't hired.

When I applied to work at the park, I applied for all available positions. And my interview was labeled "part time cast member". My first interview was for a retail sales clerk and the second interview was a group interview and I was never told what position I would be working at.

I always dress professionally, I'm very articulate. I don't use ghetto or slang vernacular which is why I'm most upset because I feel like I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't. If I moderate myself and try to be someone I'm not, they could perceive that as being fake. If I overdo it, they could think I"m being a smart *** and think I'm better than the company and that's a no no as well.

And someone asked have I tried another amusement park? And yes I applied at knotts berry farm and had a little stint there but unfortunately they hired me at the water park as a temp hire and water parks are only open during the summer and I haven't been able to find work since.

I've also applied at Universal many times but they haven't contacted me back.

I don't know I love the disneyland uniforms. especially the haunted mansion ones. Idk, I just suck at life.

Where are you getting this information?!?! I would like to see your sources on the opening day racism. As a Disney historian I have NEVER heard this before. As for the College Program not calling you back. They don't..... They communicate via email and your dashboard. Please check facts before making comments. Please please PLEASE remember you are on a PUBLIC forum and corporate Disney DOES look at these forums. Especially when "racism " is in the title. You might want to take a step back and observe yourself and your actions. Just my opinion though. Another hint if I may. When you have many people telling you to be careful of your comments it's probably because of something you have said. Have a magical day!

Op yes there is racism in the world, however I honestly think you are looking for it where it doesn't exist.

It sucks being rejected for a job you know you can do. Make an appt at your college career services office. They often offer resume reviews, mock interviews etc. It may help your situation

Not sure how that video supports your point as that show actually was a step forward for Disney in terms of being more inclusive in recent years of race in TV shows. That's So Raven was one of their first culturally diverse shows and there is a great amount of diversity present now.

/\ :thumbsup:

Well said.

OP: as far as DCP goes, I'm an alumni (2011 Spring Advantage Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique Hostess) and they didn't tell me on the phone that I didn't get into the program nor did they tell me that I did. I was notified via mail that I was accepted into the program. They also tend to email their correspondence if you're pending, etc etc. Lots of places do the email way now a days unless they're looking for someone to hire on the spot.

Disney is a tough ballgame but it can be done. And in response to your response about me mentioning Walt Disney, you completely missed the point of the message.

Even the best of the best get turned down. Its a part of life. Rejection is a part of life. Its the ones that keep trying for it no matter what that get noticed.

But its a matter of them getting noticed in the RIGHT way. Voicing an opinion is fine but make sure its one that you would want for EVERYONE to hear. You never know who's listening/reading/watching. In all reality (and no disrespect), the allegations being made here by you are not helping your case. Its going to hurt you in the long run. And it may have hurt you. Whether its DIsney or someplace else, the internet is a very PUBLIC forum no matter how private you make things. I have learned in life that I may not have liked the outcome and may have thought some interestingly negative things in the moment but if it was something that I didn't want anyone of importance to hear, I kept my mouth shut.

Some things are better unsaid than said.

Just my two cents. Take it or leave it.

I just find it kind of sad that you are playing the race card for one of the most ethnically diverse companies in the world. I understand you are upset that you didn't get hired to Disney but not everything in this world is done because of race. Shocker right? For reasons that only Disney knows of you were not hired. Maybe you weren't as bubbly as the others or maybe your spot had gotten filled earlier that day or maybe the other candidates were just better. We will never know. I know for a fact that Disney and other companies check message boards and if you get black listed by Disney then the whole entertainment industry might end up knowing. So not only could you have hurt your chances with Disney but also with any other company. Keep your head up and keep searching. In the eyes of companies and the law every man is equal so please stop playing the race card and just admit to yourself that YOU were not what they were looking for and not because of the color of your skin.

Can you cite your source on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter