Regular Dining Plan Not Worth it for Us

aml3679

Sylvester and Sophia's Mom
We stayed 12 nights at POFQ recently. We had the regular dining plan. We liked the convenience of not worrying about money but when I added everything up, we came out $50 ahead. But, if we were not on the dining plan, we would have shared some meals, got half as many desserts and had a lot less snacks.

Next time we go, unless we get free dining, we will pay for our meals out of pocket.

There are a lot of quick service options that are healthy and delicious.

Plus, service was so good (except for Kouzzina) we ended spending a lot on tips.

When looking into numbers for our trip, we realized it's pretty hard to make paying OOP for the dining plan worth it. At best, we can make it break even, but that's by eating at a buffet that's at the high range (like Chef Mickey's), and maximizing the QS and snack credits.

We do at least 1 TS a day, we do a lot of buffets/family style meals, but don't order desserts at other restaurants. The dining plan only works for the way we eat in it's current form (to save money) if free dining is available and we can't get more than about $50 per person per night in room only discounts.

We used DDP in 2009 but opted not to in 2012. We spent around the same amount in 2012 that the DDP would have cost us BUT that included appetizers, adult beverages, and even souveniers.

We had 4 TS meals in 2012:
Crystal Palace
Akershus
SciFi
Rainforest Cafe

and 7 in 2009:
Crystal Palace
Kona
WCC
1900 PF
50s Prime Time
LeCellier
Tusker House
For us, 7 was too many. At least once every meal, someone said, "You know I'm not even hungry" but ordered anyway b/c we had the meal credit.

So in our experience, no DDP is best for us.

I really like the Deluxe DDP. For us we like a really nice sit down dinner and would have paid a fortune OOP for this.

I can however see if you wouldn't order certain items or split things how any DDP wouldn't be the best option for you.

Looking at it as strictly a monetary thing, it's really difficult to make the dining plan come out ahead unless: 1) you've got kids under 10, 2) you want to do lots of buffets or all you can eat restaurants, or 3) your party never shares food and everyone wants their own dessert at each meal.

We've gone both ways and I have to say I enjoyed not being tied to a TS reservation everyday! The dining plan is a lot of food and so much of it with our family goes to waste. My 4 year old and I shared most meals off the dining plan and it works out great and saved us quite a bit.

I really like the Deluxe DDP. For us we like a really nice sit down dinner and would have paid a fortune OOP for this.

Would you have spent more paying OOP than you did for the dining plan? Like you I plan on eating at many of the nicer restaurants and I've used some of the excel spreadsheets to determine cost. Without eating deserts at lunch and dinner there is no way I could figure out where you saving money buying the dining plan.

I would like to get the dining plan but why can't you substitute a green salad for dessert? If Disney was concerned about the health of their guests, dessert would not be included in the dining plan but salads would be.

When I looked at the price of the meal plan compared to OOP the numbers worked for us. I think when you calculate the price you must include everything that you get on the meal plan...including dessert. If you don't it obviously wouldn't be worth it. Also factor in your snacks and refillable mug as those are part of the MP as well.

Numbers wise it was worth it for us.

I always calculate everything out. You can get menus and prices for all Disney restaurants online. For 2 adults and a 3yr old it isn't worth the price. The portions are so big at Disney you can sharer meals. Plus we always end up with a lot of snacks at the end of our trip. I also don't like how you are locked into your plan. Some days I don't want a table meal. If it's hot out I don't want a big meal. I want something light and refreshing. Just something to think about.

Yeah I agree you can end up with quite a few snacks at the end. We like a table dinner every night. In your case I would agree the meal plan would not be the best option for your family. Flexibility, especially with a 3yo, far outweighs the meal plan.

Can I ask?

I keep seeing it stated over and over (totally not singling out this pp!):

1) you've got kids under 10,

Our kids were 11, 14 and 16 when we went in 2012. Got free dining at that time.

But this trip, they will be 13, 16 & 18 - we are paying for the dining plan.

I've used both online calculators out there, and our kids are over 10, but the dining plan will cost us less than paying out of pocket.

Mind you - we like to eat, and will definitely have the dessert at each meal. We are also doing several buffet dinners. We also aren't breakfast people, so a bit earlier of a lunch, a snack and a later dinner work for us.

But I keep seeing "unless you have kids under 10, it isn't worth it"

For "our" family, the way we eat (never share a meal - my 13 year old son would bite your hand off if you got between him and his food - hence the "all you can eat buffet type") it totally saves us money. Not a lot, but some.

Also, for us, it really is more the convenience thing - we won't set the oop money aside before we go. And then by day 4 we'll be saying "ok, only $10 for each of us for dinner today" - so it is peace of mine knowing it is all taken care of.

Ok, once again, I'm teetering back and forth on the to do or not to do DDP. We are finally in our single digit countdown ( May 13th )- It is just my DD19 and myself. Running numbers ( used two different calculations ) , we would probably come close to breaking even or coming out ahead on the dining plan. However, it steers us away from LTT ( lunch, ooey gooey cake ), Sci Fi, Earl of Sandwich, The Plaza, Beaches and Cream, Tony's etc and leads us to others such as Sanaa, Tutto, Via, Biergarten. It does get us to try foods that we normally wouldnt have the opportunity to do so. Sharing meals, might be an option but, probably rarely just because I know it would be me giving in to what my daughter wanted to eat. Certain things like burgers, sandwiches etc are an easy share and it would give us a chance to have some appetizers as well. Now mind you, I dont think we would do less TS if we paid OOP so it's not a time thing. My DD doesnt want me stressing about money as the trip goes and knows that it's nice and easy when it's all paid for. However, I dont want to be having a cow because I just paid $40 for a dinner that she barely ate either!!!. Two years ago we paid for the upgrade from free QS so, it was only around $20 a day per person so, it wasnt really an issue. We are also going on the cruise after our DW trip so, we will have the opportunity to enjoy different and good food then as well. I go back to my parallel, that when I book the cruise, it is all inclusive of meals. I'm not paying any less for my daughter because she doesnt eat seafood and rarely eats steak... so therefore, I'm not getting my best bang for the buck there either ( if you think about it that way ). Not too sure yet which way I will go. Just dont want to have to reconfigure park plans and ADR's.

It is awesome knowing you have already paid for your meals. That takes the worry out of it. You can use money for souvenirs or whatever. When my son is older we will get the dining plan. It depends on how much your kids will eat. I do like that can use your dining plan for character meals and buffet. Most bang for your buck. :)

It works for us. DH and I are big eaters - we really like buffets and snacks. I love deserts, DH not so much, so probably the only thing we wouldn't order is a desert for DH at Quick Service.

I don't know if this helps with anyone's decision making but I heard (not personally confirmed) that you can ask for a bottled water or something instead of your CS desert.

We are getting the ddp this trip and when I run the numbers it really looks like it'll work out for us. But we are big eaters, are planning early lunches and small in room breakfasts most days (or character breakfasts and no lunch) so those snack should come in handy. popcorn::

I don't know if this helps with anyone's decision making but I heard (not personally confirmed) that you can ask for a bottled water or something instead of your CS desert.

I am interested to hear if anyone has tried this.

The worry for me would be figuring out how I could eat two deserts + snacks and still be able to function. pixiedust:

:rotfl2:You obviously aren't playing hard enough!!!!

We are DDP LOVERS! I'm not a big person (5'4 115 lbs soaking wet) but I get up and run in the morning so I want a nice filling breakfast. CP Buffet hits the spot and gets us in MK early. I eat 2-3 plates full of carbs and protein.

We walk ALL OVER MK, 1030 comes around I'm ready for a snack. My 2.5 year old and I share a cin bun from Gastons and continue to walk.

1130 I'm starving for lunch. I do opt for water not soda but CHH I get a sandwhich, fries and dessert (the cobbler is soooo yummy).

We leave MK go back to our hotel. We swim in the pool, explore.
530/6 head out to dinner where yes I want an apptz, entree and dessert. Now I may not eat ALL of each but we are on vacation and dessert is yummy.

We do this every day. Granted it is cooler in November than the middle of the summer but I feel the DDP is well worth it for us.

I ended up getting the DDP Plus for my friend & I's 3 day visit. I did the math & included snacks & everything we would normally POP for the entire visit & we will come out ahead w/the DDP. I am not a big dessert person but my friend is & also he is a big eater so he's happy we do not have to share any meals this time. :hyper:

I also think it makes it a better value if you use some TS credits on a dinner show or Signature restaurant. I booked the HDDR for us one night so we are left with 1 TS each, 3 CS each & 3 snacks per person. Being that we can use our snacks for samples from the Flower & Garden booths, I do not believe that will be an issue for us. I also think it makes it a better value if you are there for F&W for the use of snack credits. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter