• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Regional Foods?

Also poutine!!

Louisiana DISers, I'm disappointed nobody's mentioned shrimp and grits, or cheesy grits. I've had some pretty amazing grits in NOLA!
That's because shrimp & grits isn't a Louisiana native dish. It comes from the Low Country in South Carolina, and has only recently begun to be served in South Louisiana restaurants, mostly because tourists were asking for it. (In Louisiana, grits are for breakfast, and adding cheese is not unusual, but that's true throughout the South, not specific to Louisiana.)

Personally, I've never been able to stomach grits, even the fancy stone-ground type; the texture is repellant to me and they taste very bland.

I’ll add:
Zapps chips
Doberge cake
Boiled shrimp & crabs
Oysters (chargrilled, raw, fried etc)
Boudin
Hot sausage poboys (my poboy of choice)
French bread
Hubigs pies
“Red gravy” -it’s what we call spaghetti sauce

Eta: barqs root beer & red cream soda
Snow balls
I've been gone too long, I can't believe I forgot Snow balls. have so many fond memories of watking to the snowball stand after school. All of that shaved ice stuff elsewhere is not the same at all

love Barqs, and Zapps,
and Abita!

That's because shrimp & grits isn't a Louisiana native dish. It comes from the Low Country in South Carolina, and has only recently begun to be served in South Louisiana restaurants, mostly because tourists were asking for it. (In Louisiana, grits are for breakfast, and adding cheese is not unusual, but that's true throughout the South, not specific to Louisiana.)

Personally, I've never been able to stomach grits, even the fancy stone-ground type; the texture is repellant to me and they taste very bland.
I agree. I prefer corn grits from Zea’s if I eat grits at all.

I'll add my list later, but wanted to comment on your list. The best pizza we've ever eaten was in downtown Detroit. The other states/cities that tout their pizza as the best have some serious competition. ;) We also had a nasty Detroit pizza in Wisconsin, but what do you expect?

I'll have to keep the things on your list that we haven't tried in mind for the next time we're in either location.
Rocky Rococo Pizza? Lucile’s in Madison has great Detroit style pizza.

Wisconsin:
Brats (we prefer white brats)
Cheese curds
Fish fry
Fish Boil (Door County)
Culver’s Butter Burger
Pasties (northern WI)
Cream puffs (Wisconsin State Fair)
Racine Kringle
Frozen Custard (I like Kopps in Milwaukee)
Beer -especially New Glaris Spotted Cow
Brandy Old fashioned

Washington State.....

Anything from the ocean - salmon, crab, mussels, oysters, clam or salmon chowder. Copper River salmon that is flown in from Alaska around June is some of the best!

Beef produced from Eastern WA. Just a smidgen over medium rare for me. Thrown in some mushrooms and a nice Cab!

Pizza galore - MOTO Pizza serving Detroit style pizza. Can't walk in and order a pie. Previously you had to be on a 3 month waiting list before you could pick up your pie. No joke. Tutta Bella, Zeke's.

Back to the seafood and beef restaurants - Duke's Chowder House, Salty's, Chandler's Crab House, The Met, Jak's, Anthony's,

For the sports fans out there. The national broadcasts always like to feature the salmon toss'in mongers at the Pike Place Fish Market. Cheers!

I live pretty close to the Gulf of Mexico so fresh gulf shrimp, oysters, redfish, speckled trout, snapper, and blue crap. Cooked a variety of ways.

Fresh oysters on the half shell are one of my all time favorites. With crackers, fresh horseradish, lemons, and a little hot sauce. An ice cold beer too to wash it down!

Last edited:
TN (and while some of these are southern & not just Tennessee, they’re all very much Tennessee foods) -

Apple Fritters
Biscuits & Gravy
Catfish - particularly fried
Chicken & Dumplings
Chicken & Dressing
Cornbread - WITHOUT sugar!
Country Fried Chicken or Steak
Fried Green Tomatoes
Fried Okra
Fried Pies
Fruit Cobbler - especially peach or blackberry
Nashville Hot Chicken
Pulled Pork BBQ
Red Eye Gravy - mostly served w/ Country Ham
Tennessee Appalachia or Mountain Cake (it’s a multi-layer stacked cake)
Tennessee Onions (it’s a casserole)
Tomatoes - our official state fruit is the tomato

Restaurants advertising “Meat & 3”

Also, Bush’s Baked Beans, Goo Goo Clusters, & Moonpies originated in Tennessee.

And, you can’t forget the Moonshine & Jack Daniels Whiskey!!!

TN (and while some of these are southern & not just Tennessee, they’re all very much Tennessee foods) -

Apple Fritters
Biscuits & Gravy
Catfish - particularly fried
Chicken & Dumplings
Chicken & Dressing
Cornbread - WITHOUT sugar!
Country Fried Chicken or Steak
Fried Green Tomatoes
Fried Okra
Fried Pies
Fruit Cobbler - especially peach or blackberry
Nashville Hot Chicken
Pulled Pork BBQ
Red Eye Gravy - mostly served w/ Country Ham
Tennessee Appalachia or Mountain Cake (it’s a multi-layer stacked cake)
Tennessee Onions (it’s a casserole)
Tomatoes - our official state fruit is the tomato

Restaurants advertising “Meat & 3”

Also, Bush’s Baked Beans, Goo Goo Clusters, & Moonpies originated in Tennessee.

And, you can’t forget the Moonshine & Jack Daniels Whiskey!!!
Please don’t laugh at this question. I’ve spent no time in TN. How close is cracker barrel?

If this dish were to be introduced to other areas it would be a nation-wide success. It's absolutely delicious. What's not to like??? OK, maybe the name "Hot Brown" could be updated to something less...scatalogical sounding?:rolleyes1

Hot Browns are open-faced warm sandwiches loaded with roast turkey, lightly charred tomatoes, creamy Mornay sauce, crisp bacon, and melted cheese
I agree. Had a hot brown in WDW about 20 years ago and I still credit it in my top 5 meals there.
thought of something else-

we are VERY fortunate to have 2 locally owned and operated brick and mortar eateries that feature indigenous native american foods. previously it was only available at food trucks and the occasional pop up (maybe at a fair but that was more of a fast food variety). fresh made fry bread:love::love::love:
Right? We have some great indigenous eateries here in MN and it's definitely a blessing!
Wisconsin:
Brats (we prefer white brats
Cheese curds
Fish fry
Fish Boil (Door County)
Culver’s Butter Burger
Pasties (northern WI)
Cream puffs (Wisconsin State Fair)
Racine Kringle
Frozen Custard (I like Kopps in Milwaukee)
Beer -especially New Glaris Spotted Cow
Brandy Old fashioned
And supper clubs 🥰🥰🥰

Minnesota;
Hotdish
Top the Tater
Lefse
MN style pizza
Walleye
Booyas in the fall
Cheese curds
Wild rice
Spam
Jello salads
Jucy Lucy
Corn dogs

I've been gone too long, I can't believe I forgot Snow balls. have so many fond memories of watking to the snowball stand after school. All of that shaved ice stuff elsewhere is not the same at all

love Barqs, and Zapps,
and Abita!
We have snow balls here in MD as well.

Five foods I can think of that I am told originated here and are more local:

Taylor ham/ pork roll
Tomato Pies
Texas weiner/wieners
Italian hot dogs
Salt water taffy

Other commonly mentioned foods include:
Pizza
Sweet corn
Tomatoes
Blueberries
Cranberries
Subs/Heroes/Hoagies
“Good” bread (though harder and harder to find)
Diners: a general addition to the list

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter