Regional Differences

SOS (to me) is creamed chip beef on toast....one of my mom's favorites:scared1

SOS to me is sausage or hamburger, as the PP said. But my mother loves to make creamed chipped beef on toast. She also likes to make creamed tuna and peas on toast. YACK!!!!

I left my poor daughter (12 at the time) with my mother when we went to the Caribbean, and she tried to feed her that stuff. OH the horror. :rotfl2: She's 22 now and given the proper stimulus she will still go on for half an hour about the crazy things her grandmother tried to feed her.

Ok, I have no idea what you're talking about. Can someone explain, please.

http://www.homecomingmums.com/id76.html

coppell-2010.jpg

Ok, I have no idea what you're talking about. Can someone explain, please.

See the above photo but in some states, Texas it's popular I think, the girls wear these for homecoming :scared1:. I guess it is a big deal to decorate them and fancy them up :confused3.

We have them here too (MS) but not quite as "decorated". Just a huge mum, with a small gold football and gold megaphone attached in the middle and the school letters across the mum (ours was FCAHS). And then it had ribbons behind the mum in school colors (ours were maroon and gray) but our ribbons didn't hang down as far as the ones on that website. Just a few inches down. Our looked better than the ones on that website, IMHO, because they weren't so ornate.

They are Homecoming corsages and the guys at school (and sometimes parents) ordered them for the girls and the girls wear them to the game. A lot of folks dress up for homecoming. Highschool football homecoming is HUGE down here.

Okay, luvsJack's post just answered my questions. It's a football thing. :thumbsup2

We just go spray paint each other's rock for that. Haha, j/k. Sorta...

Okay, luvsJack's post just answered my questions. It's a football thing. :thumbsup2

Yep and football is MAJOR. Highschool football is like a relegion in the south (and more so in Texas, I believe). So the homecoming game is really big. Our highschool (which is truly in a one horse town) will make $$$$$$$$ that night from ticket sales and consessions.

I didn't know that it was regional until I posted a thread about the jr. high homecoming court and a lot of people had never heard of jr. high even having a homecoming game,

Then there's the "right on red" thing. My husband is from NY (Long Island, not NYC) and he is constantly sitting at red lights with his right turn signal on while the people behind him burst a blood vessel because he won't GO! ;)

I don't get that because on Long Island you can make a right on red at most lights unless it states otherwise so he should be used to making a right on red!

I didn't know that it was regional until I posted a thread about the jr. high homecoming court and a lot of people had never heard of jr. high even having a homecoming game,

LOL--I know the high school has some homecoming thing but really the only people that go to that and the football game are the football players parents or the cheerleaders parents or the players girlfriends--most other people could give a crap if a high school level football game was going and or even be aware that one was going one.

I was going to ask about the Mums, but you guys already explained it.
Of everything on this thread, THAT one is completely new to me! Definitely not something we have around here.

I don't get that because on Long Island you can make a right on red at most lights unless it states otherwise so he should be used to making a right on red!

LOL--I know the high school has some homecoming thing but really the only people that go to that and the football game are the football players parents or the cheerleaders parents or the players girlfriends--most other people could give a crap if a high school level football game was going and or even be aware that one was going one.

Beats the heck out of me! I just know that he doesn't do it and acts startled when I tell him to get moving. LOL He was born in NY but before he came here lived in Maryland and worked in DC for several years...anybody in either place want to chime in and let me know if he picked that irritating habit up there???

In the particular city I live in a lot of people go to homecoming whether they have kids on the team or even in the school at all. However, I don't think that is really a regional norm, so to speak. I think it's just a small town peculiarity. I'm not sure. :confused3

Circles/Roundabouts/Rotaries

They've just started using those here, in my immediate area. Some of them are ridiculous. Like the one they built that fire trucks can't fit around, so they have to make a significant detour to get to certain places. :rolleyes:

Beats the heck out of me! I just know that he doesn't do it and acts startled when I tell him to get moving. LOL He was born in NY but before he came here lived in Maryland and worked in DC for several years...anybody in either place want to chime in and let me know if he picked that irritating habit up there???

In the particular city I live in a lot of people go to homecoming whether they have kids on the team or even in the school at all. However, I don't think that is really a regional norm, so to speak. I think it's just a small town peculiarity. I'm not sure. :confused3

I think you do see more community involvement in high school athletics in smaller towns. I know in our town, not really all that small but smaller, we get probably 5000 people at home games. It's just what you do on Friday nights. Now, we go to watch the band but our team is usually pretty good so the football is good too. They usually have some tailgating, etc. going on too. It's pretty fun.

They've just started using those here, in my immediate area. Some of them are ridiculous. Like the one they built that fire trucks can't fit around, so they have to make a significant detour to get to certain places. :rolleyes:

Who's brain child was that????

We have one goofy intersection in town where a roundabout would be a perfect solution but it's right by the fire station so that's not happening. Not sure what they will come up with instead. I LOVE roundabouts, I wish we had more of them. They are so much easier than 4 way stops.

Who's brain child was that????

We have one goofy intersection in town where a roundabout would be a perfect solution but it's right by the fire station so that's not happening. Not sure what they will come up with instead. I LOVE roundabouts, I wish we had more of them. They are so much easier than 4 way stops.

We try hard not to think too much about brains when it comes to road work projects around here. It will only make you mad. :rotfl: We also have a brand new highway section with an off-ramp that takes a 90* turn to go over the highway instead of a smooth curve. I'd like to know whose brilliant idea that was. OH, and it's 100s of feet in the air, too, so guess what's going to happen when a large vehicle misses that turn?

Thanks for the explanation about Homecoming mums. I've never seen that done here. Football isn't that big of deal here. I grew up in a serious hockey town.....we can PACK an ice arena. I guess that's a regional thing too.

The MN State Boys Hockey tournament is the be all to end all. Well, it used to be.....it's somewhat diluted since they switched to two classes. There was a day when you could sell your HS tourney tickets for big bucks.

I don't know if this is regional or what....cheerleaders seem to have disappeared from many of our high schools. DD's school has a dance line, but no actual cheerleaders. That was suprising to me. I guess that is the case with many of the schools around here.

My niece and nephew attended HS in a Memphis suburb. Football and Cheerleading were huge their. I know that their HS cheerleading squad would go to nationals every year back when they were in school. My dh and I were pretty suprised at the HUGE crowds they had for football.

Oh!

"Toll road."

I'd never heard that one until I drove cross country and then in some states, I'd ask which way to like 'interstate whatever,' or '90' or 'I90' or whichever way I was phrasing the very specific question and get 'do you mean the toll road?'

It took me a while to figure out what they meant and even then it wasn't helpful because how the heck do I know which of your roads have tolls?! Just the specific one I'm asking for, people!

We have the Dulles Toll Road and I have no idea what the number is. It's just The Toll Road. And then there's The Access Road, which is 4 lanes inside the 8-lane Toll Road that you use for the airport so you don't miss your plane sitting in traffic. But you better have your plane ticket because the police are wise to the fake luggage scam if they stop you and you're actually going to and from work.

We have mums here, too, but they're corsages you buy for your girlfriend or mom for the homecoming game, definitely not those elaborate ones.

In Salem, MA - blinking green lights.. Only place I have ever seen them and it really took some getting used to..

I hate that bridge, too. DH would cut through downtown, though...he refused to drive on it because of traffic.

I 'grew up' right off 3rd and White Bear....my babysitter lived right down from St. Pascal's. My house was further north off White Bear! We hit Davanni's in Sun Ray quite often - I have a bit of an obsession with them!! :lovestruc

SOS (to me) is creamed chip beef on toast....one of my mom's favorites:scared1:

I have to agree about SOS...it was creamed chipped beef on toast. My dad did not have fond memories of it from the service so we never had to have it.

You grew up pretty close to where I live.....we're just across the county line. Savoy's Pizza anyone? My dad actually attended Sheridan School for 4th grade I think. He and his mom moved down to the "cities" for the year because his grandma was dying.

I do have a soft spot for Davanni's too. We tend to go to the one in Woodbury now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter