Regardless of right/wrong..Using child credits??

Status
Not open for further replies.
HayGan said:
Exactly! How do they know that you don't want to use a credit for a more expensive meal :confused3

Quite frankly I think Disney is well aware of how they credits are being used by some. The logistics of changing the system in any way would cause a tremendous amount of headaches and chaos! I really don't see Disney changing it much. Overall, it has been a HUGE success for them and they are definately not losing any money on it.
100% agree with you ! We are saving money on the plan and they are making it hand over fist with the plan we feel like we get a deal and they see the profit coming in to disney. why change a good thing.

Sammie said:
Just curious what is your source that they are not losing any money from the Dining Plan abuses. You are right about the logistics of changing it. I don't think the change will be soon due to that, but I do think it will change.

Not the OP but Sammie if you look at the dinning plan in the context of the overall marketing plan and then look at the quarterly financial results you would see that the overall marketing plan has been a great success. The reason I suggest looking at the dinning plan as part of something much larger than food is that you can not get it if you don't stay on site and pay rack rate for the most part and purchase a park admission ticket for at least one day for each member of your party. This along with DME keeps more people staying on site at Disney, spending more money there and spending less time and money at other Orlando attractions. Disneys own results, especially when compared to other area attractions, show that they saw a larger increase in admissions and hotel occupancy and more importantly the per capita spending went up signifigantly. For those that don't know that is the amount of money spent per guest.

The dinning plan along with DME and the new ticket pricing last year is a part of this marketing plan. You can't separate each one out an evaluate it on its own. If you do that how could they justify giving free transportation to a family of 4 to and from the airport? Or how could they justify having a family of 4 pay just $4 total for an extra days park admission that would have cost over $100 in the prior year? And in the dinning plans case how could the allow someone to pay for a kids rate but pool the credit to purchase the occasional adult meal? By themselves none of these make any sense but taken together with increased occupancy and stoping people from spending money off site it makes sense. Looking at the results for Q4 last year you can see the results of the changes.

Pedler said:
Not the OP but Sammie if you look at the dinning plan in the context of the overall marketing plan and then look at the quarterly financial results you would see that the overall marketing plan has been a great success. The reason I suggest looking at the dinning plan as part of something much larger than food is that you can not get it if you don't stay on site and pay rack rate for the most part and purchase a park admission ticket for at least one day for each member of your party. This along with DME keeps more people staying on site at Disney, spending more money there and spending less time and money at other Orlando attractions. Disneys own results, especially when compared to other area attractions, show that they saw a larger increase in admissions and hotel occupancy and more importantly the per capita spending went up signifigantly. For those that don't know that is the amount of money spent per guest.

The dinning plan along with DME and the new ticket pricing last year is a part of this marketing plan. You can't separate each one out an evaluate it on its own. If you do that how could they justify giving free transportation to a family of 4 to and from the airport? Or how could they justify having a family of 4 pay just $4 total for an extra days park admission that would have cost over $100 in the prior year? And in the dinning plans case how could the allow someone to pay for a kids rate but pool the credit to purchase the occasional adult meal? By themselves none of these make any sense but taken together with increased occupancy and stoping people from spending money off site it makes sense. Looking at the results for Q4 last year you can see the results of the changes.

I agree that overall they are making money. I just find it interesting that some unless they are in the marketing business and study Disney's corporate earnings, can always make blanket statements about thier earnings. Your response is obviously based on facts and your undestanding of economics.

While I believe with others it is simply their excuse to scam them. Irregardless of whether Disney is making money off the plan or not, it was never intended to be used in this fashion. As to whether they will make changes, time will tell.

Also if money is being lost due to abuse of the plan, whether they change it or not that loss will be recouped somewhere else and that is the part I don't like. I really have a problem for paying for other's misuse of something. I almost find it comical that some will justify their use of the plan by stating they are just trying to get their money's worth. While the entire time Disney is putting that loss right back to them and me in some other area.

As to your comment about having to purchase tickets, etc. that was true until they added the Dining Plan to DVC.

Furthermore, they can always make more money. It is irresponsible to charge less than full market value for anything, so managers have a responsibility to modify the plan, including changing the rules, to reduce its cost more than the change would reduce revenue, as well as to increase its price to the extent the added revenue would offset reduced patronage.

Sammie said:
Irregardless of whether Disney is making money off the plan or not, it was never intended to be used in this fashion.

Completely unsupported statement Where are your facts for this statement :confused3 If you look at Disney's own marketing brochures on the plan from the begining, they have stated that credits could be used by any member of the party. There has never been anything distinguishing adult and child credits yet some insist on claiming that is what Disney intended :rolleyes:

Disney overall has been making more money due to the higher room rates being paid, higer occupancy rates and greater use of their restaurants overall. Occupancy is the key factor ain accomodations and the cost of meals/preparations is so low compared to actual prices that volume equates profits in most all restaurants. Do I have the specific math - no. But simple logical calculations can certainly describe the benefit that Disney is receiving from the dining plan. I have an MBA and I certainly understand economics - thank you very much!!!

I have used the plan according to ITS' rules! I don't follow "rules" according to those who want to claim that they KNOW what Disney intended (which is contradictory to what Disney has done and continues to do!) I'm not quite sure why some insist on call people cheaters/scammers/etc. when they are following the RULES of the current system :sad2:. I would certainly think that most people would follow those rules versus some speculation made by non-Disney personnel on an internet chat board :rolleyes:

thelionqueen said:
Sorry, but this information is completely wrong. Absolutely NOTHING is on your "Key to the World" card that implies how many people (adult or children) are on the plan. The ONLY thing it says on the card is "MYW+Dining" or "DVC Dining Plan"

They do not list the pooled credits by adult or children, nor does the CM know how many in your party on the dining plan are children or adults. There is no way the CM would know (or care) about this information unless they called the hotel you checked in at, held on line for over 15 minutes and verified. Even if they did that, you can use your credits however you want.

To OP, the credits are pooled and you can use them in ANY WAY you see fit.

This was not true for us. On our cards it listed 2A 1C. At TS meals, the CM's would look at our card and then tell us what each of us could order, meaning DD HAD to order off the child's menu.

Well said Haygan !!! :banana: :woohoo:

Why do some people insist that *they* know how disney intended the plan to be used. To call other people scammers...abusers and thieves...simply because they are using the plan totally the way disney allows them to is just laughable :rotfl2:
I thought we were supposed to help each other here? Not attack others morals for no reason at all.
Its always the same few posters as well. :rolleyes:

littleshamrock said:
Ok, flame me. I don't care. All I want to know is if WDW is seperating child and adult credits on the dining plan?? Are they still pooled together?? I have been reading a lot about this, and people say either way. I *may* end up using one or two of my DS3's credits for grandma who's coming later in the trip. Because he eats nothing (I seriously don't know how he isn't skin and bones), they would be wasted anyways. So there, you have it. Yes, I may be "cheating" the system, but I am more worried about my $$$ going to waste. Thank you!

DH and I talked about this, as we were able to use the old dreammaker silver plan this way. In our case we will be 3 adults, 2 children (DS will be 10, so adult price). We decided that if we were going to do a signature meal, we'd just pay out of pocket for one entire meal. It seems much easier this way. Utimately, we decided not to do a 2 credit meal this trip-just the way our choices worked out. We are trying some new places for us Raglan Road, WCC (my sons choice).

Plus, I would not under any circumstance want to deal with a server like the one someone mentioned at Tony's. I think a restaurant CAN tell you that everyone must use credits (if you have them) before you order and be within their right to do that. It's your choice at that point to leave or use the credits. A server at Kona told us this when we told her we had the DDE card before ordering (she confused the two). When we said no, not the meal plan, just the DDE card, she told us that we could do what ever we wanted. I got the distinct impression that all 5 of us would have had to use credits if we had been on the meal plan. This was Dec 05.

I wish they would just charge everyone the same price for the plan, $37.99.
That way it wouldn't matter how anyone defined "pooled."

Of course then people will complain about how greedy Disney is, they just want to rip us off, blah, blah,blah :rolleyes1

It doesn't matter how loud you yell, there's something wrong with paying a child's price, then using that credit (I know, I know, "there's so such thing as a child's credit" :rolleyes: ) to feed an adult.

Disney PLEASE close the loop hole, or just raise the children's price to discourage this. :cheer2:

Of course the second option will hurt those who use the plan the way it was intended. Adult credits for adults, children credits for children.

I KNOW THERE AREN'T ANY ADULT OR CHILDREN CREDITS. :lmao:

I *may* end up using one or two of my DS3's credits for grandma who's coming later in the trip.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it this concept that the people who mention abuse of the system are referring to? We were one of the first to use the dining plan back in January 05, and I'd studied the MYW dining brochure extensively to make sure we were using it correctly. It was quite clear that the plan was intended for use for our party, i.e. those listed on our reservation, not grandma visiting a week from now. I was shocked later on to see it was being interpeted and used this way.

HayGan said:
Completely unsupported statement Where are your facts for this statement :confused3 If you look at Disney's own marketing brochures on the plan from the begining, they have stated that credits could be used by any member of the party. There has never been anything distinguishing adult and child credits yet some insist on claiming that is what Disney intended :rolleyes:

Disney overall has been making more money due to the higher room rates being paid, higer occupancy rates and greater use of their restaurants overall. Occupancy is the key factor ain accomodations and the cost of meals/preparations is so low compared to actual prices that volume equates profits in most all restaurants. Do I have the specific math - no. But simple logical calculations can certainly describe the benefit that Disney is receiving from the dining plan. I have an MBA and I certainly understand economics - thank you very much!!!

I have used the plan according to ITS' rules! I don't follow "rules" according to those who want to claim that they KNOW what Disney intended (which is contradictory to what Disney has done and continues to do!) I'm not quite sure why some insist on call people cheaters/scammers/etc. when they are following the RULES of the current system :sad2:. I would certainly think that most people would follow those rules versus some speculation made by non-Disney personnel on an internet chat board :rolleyes:

I based my comments on conversations with the people who designed the plan and management at Disney.

If you truly think that is the rules, email Disney and ask them if you can use a child's credit to purchase an adult meal. If they had not planned there to be a difference they would have charged everyone on the plan the $10.99. I seriously doubt if you take a child to the LeCellier they will allow your child to order the adult steak with no problem.

I have never called any one a cheater/scammer. I have said the plan was not intended to be use to purchase adult meals at children's prices. There is a difference in rules and loopholes. And I will agree that the plan does allow this, but that does not make it right.

And the most interesting part of all these conversations is everyone wants to give a hard time to those of us that think it is wrong, yet we are suppose to treat those that misuse the plan with the greatest of kindness. That would be a good case of the pot calling the kettle black.

disneyjunkie said:

Of course then people will complain about how greedy Disney is, they just want to rip us off, blah, blah,blah :rolleyes1

It doesn't matter how loud you yell, there's something wrong with paying a child's price, then using that credit (I know, I know, "there's so such thing as a child's credit" :rolleyes: ) to feed an adult.

Disney PLEASE close the loop hole, or just raise the children's price to discourage this. :cheer2:

Of course the second option will hurt those who the plan the way it was intended. Adult credits for adults, children credits for children.

Thank you, you would think it would be common sense. Where else in the world can you pay for a child's meal and get an adult meal. No where. Some won't see this, as they don't want to see it.

I've never used the Dining plan, but I'm considering adding it to our upcoming trip. From everything I've read about the plan on Disney's website, mousesavers, allearsnet, and other websites to concept of pooling credits is touted as one of the advantages of the dining plan. I haven't seen any disclaimers telling you exactly how you should use your credits. On the contrary, the plans flexibility seems to be part of their marketing. Disney's literature doesn't go so far as to recommend you use your child credits for adult meals, but mousesavers & the FAQ page here site paying oop for your child's meals as one way of getting the most out of the dining plan.

I still haven't decided if the plan is really a good deal for us (it seems like a license to overeat) so I really don't have a boat in the race. I must say however that I'm surprised by the number of preachy, holier-than-thou posters here who take every opportunity to tell others how they should spend their money. Think about what you are saying and see if you are really the type of person that people like to be around.

disneyjunkie said:

Of course the second option will hurt those who use the plan the way it was intended. Adult credits for adults, children credits for children.

Logical thought processes will get you nowhere here.

I have a question about paying for a childs meal when using the plan for adults. What if you have a child under the age of 3. My understanding is that they couldn't get the plan (this info came from a women on the bus who I was talking with when it 1st started, we were DVC so we couldn't do the plan then to start with.) Anyway if that is the case they are free at "all you can eat" or one set price places, not anywhere else. So unless you want them to share you would have to buy the 2 year old (or younger) a meal anyway right? Also if this was the case you could use meals your older child didn't use for them and it would not in any way be cheating the system would it? (still getting a childs meal.)

Or did they change the system where kids under 3 acutally get credits, but you don't pay for it. If that is the case I might want to look into for our next trip, because that really would be money saving.

KayakDaddy said:
I've never used the Dining plan, but I'm considering adding it to our upcoming trip. From everything I've read about the plan on Disney's website, mousesavers, allearsnet, and other websites to concept of pooling credits is touted as one of the advantages of the dining plan. I haven't seen any disclaimers telling you exactly how you should use your credits. On the contrary, the plans flexibility seems to be part of their marketing. Disney's literature doesn't go so far as to recommend you use your child credits for adult meals, but mousesavers & the FAQ page here site paying oop for your child's meals as one way of getting the most out of the dining plan.
I still haven't decided if the plan is really a good deal for us (it seems like a license to overeat) so I really don't have a boat in the race. I must say however that I'm surprised by the number of preachy, holier-than-thou posters here who take every opportunity to tell others how they should spend their money. Think about what you are saying and see if you are really the type of person that people like to be around.

The plan states children 3-9 must order from the child's menu. Therefore to me it is pretty easy to understand that anyone using those credit's orders from the child's menu.

As to Mousesavers and the FAQ they are unofficial sources.

As to your last comment, I could care less how anyone spends their money. I have a problem with people who think that the plan was meant to purchase adult meals at kids's prices. I could respect someone more that says it might not be the way it was meant to be used, but until they stop me I will do it. Over those that try to rationalize it.

As to my friends, I have plenty and they all agree. Most work for Disney and their conversations echo mine. But thanks for the concern.

DisneyPhD said:
I have a question about paying for a childs meal when using the plan for adults. What if you have a child under the age of 3. My understanding is that they couldn't get the plan (this info came from a women on the bus who I was talking with when it 1st started, we were DVC so we couldn't do the plan then to start with.) Anyway if that is the case they are free at "all you can eat" or one set price places, not anywhere else. So unless you want them to share you would have to buy the 2 year old (or younger) a meal anyway right? Also if this was the case you could use meals your older child didn't use for them and it would not in any way be cheating the system would it? (still getting a childs meal.)

Or did they change the system where kids under 3 acutally get credits, but you don't pay for it. If that is the case I might want to look into for our next trip, because that really would be money saving.

No you have it right, kids under 3 eat free and certainly if your older child did not eat their meal you can use that. In fact I know some that said their 2 year old is a big eater and they are getting the plan for them.

I have a friend that works in the management of the Dining Plan, I will double check for you, just to be sure.

Sammie said:
No you have it right, kids under 3 eat free and certainly if your older child did not eat their meal you can use that. In fact I know some that said their 2 year old is a big eater and they are getting the plan for them.

I have a friend that works in the management of the Dining Plan, I will double check for you, thought just to be sure.

Will they let an under 3 year old get the plan? When it 1st started there was no way to do it (this women I was talking with wanted to spend the $10 a day on the child.) but the system would not let them. If they did that then they had to buy a ticket for the child too. (and that would be a waste of $$$ for sure.)

Anyway if a child under 2 is not inculuded in the plan then they would HAVE to allow you to play for one persons meal, while using the card for other members. :teeth:

Sammie said:
I have never called any one a cheater/scammer. I have said the plan was not intended to be use to purchase adult meals at children's prices.

Funny, somewhere I read this...

Sammie said:
While I believe with others it is simply their excuse to scam them.

So they are scamming but they aren't scammers - interesting distinction :rolleyes:

Sammie said:
There is a difference in rules and loopholes. And I will agree that the plan does allow this, but that does not make it right.

The plan allows it but you don't think it is right. So people should follow your rules versus the plan's. Make alot of sense :rolleyes:

Sammie said:
I based my comments on conversations with the people who designed the plan and management at Disney.

So according to you, they designed it to be one way but implemented another and haven't changed it in over a year. Funny that their own literature that they designed doesn't clarify their intended (ie - your interpretation) use of the plan.

BTW, when I first received my information on the dining plan this was printed right inside the brochure:

Note: Upon check-in, all meals from the package are combined into one central account for maximum flexibility. Any Guest in the party may use the meals from this central account at any time during their package stay until all the meals are depleted.

So how did Disney not intend for the plan to be used in this manner. Yes - this verbage is gone from current literature but the plan remains unchanged. (I do have the pdf file is interested in seeing that this was indeed the wording provided by Disney at the very begining.)

Obviously, their are differing opinions of the use of the plan and no discussion here is going to sway one side to the other. Having different beliefs still does not justify insulting and name calling others who aren't using the plan in the manner you believe it should be used.

HayGan said:
Funny, somewhere I read this...

So they are scamming but they aren't scammers - interesting distinction :rolleyes:

The plan allows it but you don't think it is right. So people should follow your rules versus the plan's. Make alot of sense :rolleyes:

So according to you, they designed it to be one way but implemented another and haven't changed it in over a year. Funny that their own literature that they designed doesn't clarify their intended (ie - your interpretation) use of the plan.

BTW, when I first received my information on the dining plan this was printed right inside the brochure:

Note: Upon check-in, all meals from the package are combined into one central account for maximum flexibility. Any Guest in the party may use the meals from this central account at any time during their package stay until all the meals are depleted.

So how did Disney not intend for the plan to be used in this manner. Yes - this verbage is gone from current literature but the plan remains unchanged. (I do have the pdf file is interested in seeing that this was indeed the wording provided by Disney at the very begining.)

Obviously, their are differing opinions of the use of the plan and no discussion here is going to sway one side to the other. Having different beliefs still does not justify insulting and name calling others who aren't using the plan in the manner you believe it should be used.

I don't think I quoted anyone and said that particular person is a scammer. If I think that misuse of the plan is scamming, that is my right. So therefore I did not call anyone a scammer. And since most of you think you are right and I am wrong, they are not scammers anyway by your definition. So no insult there.

As to why it has not changed, change can be slow coming. Does not mean they like what is going on, it means there are legal and logistics to changing it. They intended for people to use common sense in knowing that a child would eat a child's meal and those credits would be used by children to do so. As with so many things at Disney they have to go back and rewrite the policy or change something to prevent the abuse of it after the fact.

As to insulting, I guess that is open to interpretation too, as I find the rolling eyes icon insulting.

As I said if anyone emails Disney they can get clarification on this issue or you can ask your server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter