? Regarding cruising without a passport

dsnygirl2006

DIS Veteran
I am not going to spend the money to get a passport, I was just going to use my birth certificate, however, I cannot find my birth certificate, will they accept a copy of your birth certificate or does it have to be the original?

I am fairly certain it needs to be an original with the raised seal.

I have my cruise documents in front of me. They say specifically that photocopies will NOT be accepted.

I had to go to the Department of Health to get a certified copy of my wife's birth certificate. Then I decided to get certified copies for the whole family - just in case. I had to order mine from another state - but it was super easy and much cheaper than passports.

As we were disembarking the custom agent commented on why he didn't understand why more people didn't utilize that option.

We are a family of five - so passports would be pretty pricey for us.

Thanks guys, I just got REAL lucky, my mom called and told me, after swearing that she had given it to me, that she has my original birth certificate, whew, I was freaking out!!!!!!

Thanks guys, I just got REAL lucky, my mom called and told me, after swearing that she had given it to me, that she has my original birth certificate, whew, I was freaking out!!!!!!

As soon as you get your birth certificate, take it down to the post office and go to the passport desk and verify that it's valid to get a passport. If it's valid to get a passport, it's valid to travel on. That way you have time to order a certified copy if it's not OK.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents: my original birth certificate (raised & sealed) was hand written in pen. The postal agent told me that they no longer accept these birth certificates. Had to go to city hall and get a typed out copy from the Bureau of Vital Statistics. (available in the city you were born in, or where your parents lived when you were born). Hope this helps.

make sure you have a drivers liscense. My son lost his wallet on the way down. He asked about a copy and they said no. So he had to fly back home and get a new one. Luckily my friend works for an airline and got him a buddy pass. They gave him a little hassle at the airport at first. He had his birth certificate and social security card. After he explained they let him thru.

There is only one big "gotcha" that I'm aware of. If for any reason you had to cut your vacation short and fly home for whatever reason - you will not be allowed to fly from outside the USA without a passport. A birth certificate does not work.

What about the fact that my birth certificate name doesn't match my driver's license?

This has not been an issue for my wife - either cruise. Never even comes up.

Ron is right about an emergency situation. We have thought about it - but then we stop :D.

We have said that if we ever did 7 nights or more - passports might be worth it for the piece of mind - maybe.

What about the fact that my birth certificate name doesn't match my driver's license?

Married women sail all the time without taking their marriage license with them and their DL doesn't match their birth certificate either.

I just travel with a passport, no problem with names matching.

My birth certificate is so old you can barely read it. I do have an expired passport with my maiden name that was issued in 2004.

Do you think I can renew my passport by using the expired passport?

Getting a new birth certificate seems like it would be difficult since I was born in California and now live in Georgia. :confused3

My birth certificate is so old you can barely read it. I do have an expired passport with my maiden name that was issued in 2004.

Do you think I can renew my passport by using the expired passport?

Getting a new birth certificate seems like it would be difficult since I was born in California and now live in Georgia. :confused3

I think you can renew using your existing passport. Here is the State Dept. requirements:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/renew/renew_833.html

Married women sail all the time without taking their marriage license with them and their DL doesn't match their birth certificate either.

I just travel with a passport, no problem with names matching.

though i am in complete and utter agreement with these statements, all you need is one TSA agent/CM/customs agent/whomever in a cranky mood and .....:scared1:

if you can get the proper documentation you wouldn't run the risk! :):thumbsup2

I just did this last month.

Being born in one of the boroughs of NYC, they automatically direct you to VitalChek to request official copies of your birth certificate on line.

It was super easy and I had my birth certificate in four days! :thumbsup2 Total cost $35.

Dh could have ordered his certificate through them as well, but he was born locally so all it took was a trip to vital records office and $10 to get his.

FWIW we thought about passports but to be honest, they are pricey for a family of four to have them for ONE use (no plans on traveling overseas in the next 5 years).

Hope the website can help someone else get their birth certificate!

As soon as you get your birth certificate, take it down to the post office and go to the passport desk and verify that it's valid to get a passport. If it's valid to get a passport, it's valid to travel on. That way you have time to order a certified copy if it's not OK.

Thanks for posting this tip. I took our bc to post office and feel relieved they all passed inspection. They are all gov issued but ds(10)'s was reissues and the seal didnt look the same as everyone elses. But post office said it was all good, cant wait to get on the boat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter