Refuse to give Disney your Finger-print?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is why I don't leave home without my tin foil mittens and hat!:goodvibes

:rotfl2: Hilarious.

Can I also add that I work in HR and the growing trend is for employees to clock in and out via a fingerprint reader/digital print rather than with a badge...this form of identification is going to be everywhere before it's all said and done. It's something that people will have to deal with.

I can't believe that this old thread is at the forefront. Funny.

I know this is an old thread, but every time it comes up, I always think: "If a a thief could even somehow steal all the biometric scans, what in the world could they possibly do with it?" The fact that Disney has this piece of information is the LEAST important piece of information about me they have. They have my name, address, CC, family's name, DD age, all in their system. If I was to be paranoid, I would first off not give them any of THAT...but I still would let them to the finger-scan.

The finger-scan is really sort of their to protect *you* the consumer. Yes, it's to prevent people from sharing tickets...but it also in theory could prevent someone who has *stolen* your ticket from using it. However, since so many people refuse to use the scanners...THAT benefit has been eliminated. So, by refusing the scan...you are empowering and condoning theft! Thanks a lot! (I'm saying this tounge in cheek here...don't flame me.)

SkierPete

I have not previously seen a thread about this, which kind of suprises me.

Just wondering in general how people feel about giving your finger-print each time you enter one of the Disney theme parks.

I just personally, find this so objectionable. No person in our family has EVER given in to this practice and allowed our finger to be scanned in order to enter one of the parks.

I know Disney's official statement is that they do not take the actual finger-print, but rather a "digital picture" of the finger-print. As much as I love Disney, I cannot get comfortable with allowing them to take a digital picture of my finger-print. So we NEVER participate. Not the old way they did it with the measuring of two fingers or the new way where they actually take a digital scan of the finger-print.

Suprisingly, we have only ever had to argue with a CM about this one time. They called their manager over (at our request) who informed the CM we could enter without putting our finger in the scanner. But every other time the CM just smiles, pushes a button, and in we go.

I am not a big fan of the ACLU, but I know they have taken a vocal position against this Disney practice.

Anybody else refuse to do it? Ever had a problem refusing? Interested in knowing how other Dis'ers feel about the subject.

Um, get a life??:confused3

I know this is an old thread, but every time it comes up, I always think: "If a a thief could even somehow steal all the biometric scans, what in the world could they possibly do with it?" The fact that Disney has this piece of information is the LEAST important piece of information about me they have. They have my name, address, CC, family's name, DD age, all in their system. If I was to be paranoid, I would first off not give them any of THAT...but I still would let them to the finger-scan.

The finger-scan is really sort of their to protect *you* the consumer. Yes, it's to prevent people from sharing tickets...but it also in theory could prevent someone who has *stolen* your ticket from using it. However, since so many people refuse to use the scanners...THAT benefit has been eliminated. So, by refusing the scan...you are empowering and condoning theft! Thanks a lot! (I'm saying this tounge in cheek here...don't flame me.)

SkierPete
:thumbsup2
Really...what are they going to do with my fingerprint? Clone me and put me in POTC? I used to work at a bank that would require a finger print to cash check drawn on our bank if you didn't have an account. What's the big deal?
BTW, hey, skier-pete! I saw you in Everything Pop! Remember?

OK, I have heard of conspiracy theories that include The New World Order, 9/11 being an inside job, Builderberg group and eugenics but I doubt that giving your finger prints to get into The Magic Kingdom would qualify as a conspiracy to use my identity via finger prints. Believe me, I am a Ron Paul supporter and don't want to give out my personal information but I don't think I would refuse to give my finger print to get into the parks.

I live in NY and I see people all the time allowing unlawful searches of pocketbooks and brief cases. They were doing a trial of random searches in the subways and people were just allowing it, saying it was for their safety. I have nothing to hide but when does it stop. The more personal liberties that are taken away from us the less freedoms we will have in the long run. Is the finger print thing apart of this.....Hmmmmm not really sure.

Tina

Just wondering in general how people feel about giving your finger-print each time you enter one of the Disney theme parks.

I just personally, find this so objectionable. No person in our family has EVER given in to this practice and allowed our finger to be scanned in order to enter one of the parks.

I know Disney's official statement is that they do not take the actual finger-print, but rather a "digital picture" of the finger-print. As much as I love Disney, I cannot get comfortable with allowing them to take a digital picture of my finger-print. So we NEVER participate. Not the old way they did it with the measuring of two fingers or the new way where they actually take a digital scan of the finger-print.

Suprisingly, we have only ever had to argue with a CM about this one time. They called their manager over (at our request) who informed the CM we could enter without putting our finger in the scanner. But every other time the CM just smiles, pushes a button, and in we go.

I am not a big fan of the ACLU, but I know they have taken a vocal position against this Disney practice.

Anybody else refuse to do it? Ever had a problem refusing? Interested in knowing how other Dis'ers feel about the subject.

I really don't see an issue with them having a picture of my finger print. A full set of my finger prints are on file becuase of the industry I work in but who cares what entity has a copy of your print or prints? Do you think they will plant them at a crime scene?

Admittedly, I did not read all 28 pages, so if this has been mentioned already, well, oops...

I have a friend who refuses to do the same thing. She switched tanning businesses after they tied palm prints to packages.

I forget exactly how she explained it, but but it had something to do with religious convictions...kinda how the amish (I think it's the amish) don't like their pictures taken. It didn't completely make sense to me otherwise I'd have remembered the complete explanation.

Just saying that the OP isn't necessarily alone in his uneasiness.

How do you feel knowing that almost every major street intersection uses video cameras to sense the presence of vehicles. Those same cameras are capable of sending the pictures to the City, County, State, and Federal Governments. Don't get me started about TSA.

:) Bill

I forget exactly how she explained it, but but it had something to do with religious convictions...kinda how the amish (I think it's the amish) don't like their pictures taken. It didn't completely make sense to me otherwise I'd have remembered the complete explanation.

There is a religion out there that forbids palm print scanners, but allows tanning beds?!? :)

FYI, I don't believe that Disney even STORES the image. Much less data to store if you compute it down to a numerical value.

Personally attacking someone on a thread they started almost 3 years ago? Probably not worth the points to me but have fun.;) I don't think the OP has posted in a year.

I'm not sure one could consider my post as an attack, just a personal opinion.:surfweb:

I wish I had time to worry about stuff like whether Disney has a print of my index finger.

We just returned from WDW a few weeks ago, and we found this fingerprint thing odd, but not alarming. And we asked several different CM's about it received several different answers as to what exactly the machine does. Most of them along the lines of x-raying the width of the bones in our fingers. We played around with them and used different fingers each time and even swapped out ticket cards with others in our group and nothing ever rang any bells. So it would appear that whatever they're doing with our finger, they're not attaching it to any single entrance card. While I wasn't concerned about it on any level, there is a certain amount of curiosity involved.

WOW!! I just realized it was "Robo" who brought back this thread yesterday morning from 2007? Must have been a slow night for questions to comment on a post from 2007? :confused3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter