Refurbishment

heathsf

DIS Veteran
Hi all, quick question:

When an attraction is closed for refurbishment, do they ever reopen earlier than the scheduled date?

The following is important to answer your question.

Cast Scheduling (as well as payroll) is based on a Sunday through Saturday week. I will use the week February 1 through 7, 2009 as my example for timing.

The Cast hours and work assignments for the week are posted into the various systems on Sunday January 25th.

The Schedulers work on the schedule for Feb 1-7 during the week January 18 to 24 so the information can be posted in a timely manner.

If an attraction which has been closed is scheduled to be reopened any time during the February 1 to 7 week, notification to the Schedulers must be no later than January 17. And normally the first day of operation after a rehab tends to be on a Sunday.

Here is where the key to the whole thing comes in. If an attraction has been planned to be opened during the week starting February 1st and it is decided to open the attraction earlier, then a firm management decision must be made and given to the Schedulers no later than January 10th if the opening will be any time during the week of January 25th.

So just completing a rehab a few days early cannot affect the opening date unless it is known at least three weeks before completion.

When we went for a long MLK weekend in 2008, I was disappointed to find out Spaceship Earth (one of my favorites) was not going to be open. I think it was scheduled to open maybe Mid-February (although I do not have the best memory).

Anyway, was pleased to find that they were doing a soft opening (or whatever they call it) and we rode it twice. There was a big sign with kind of a disclaimer that they were just testing it, could close it down anytime, etc.

And both times we went on it we got stuck for a bit! But I didn't care, was just happy to ride it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter