Refurbishment Question

1stimers2012

Earning My Ears
Hello, I'm new here. We are taking our first trip to Disney next week. I had seen on several of the unofficial sites that the Honey I shrunk the Kids area is DHS is closed for refurbishment, however it's not listed on the Disney site...so does anyone know if this is actually currently closed? I know my kids were looking forward to it, so I'd like to prepare them if it is closed.

Another refurb question - is it common for things to be closed at the last minute and we won't know until we are there? Or is Disney pretty good about giving advance notice for things being closed?

Thanks!

According to allears, it is closed Oct. 8-31.

From my experience, Disney is pretty good about telling people about rehabs in advance, especially with the major rides/attractions.

Hope you have a great trip!

Isn't allears one of the unofficial sites? Why would it be on allears but not the actual official Disney site? So are sites like allears then more accurate and up to date? I'm just not sure where to get my information from and who to believe. Is there a phone number to call for this kind of thing? Thanks!

If you go to Disney's website for their park hours for your vacation time it should show at the bottom of each park which attractions are closed.

If you go to Disney's website for their park hours for your vacation time it should show at the bottom of each park which attractions are closed.

That's what I did and it lists the Studio Backlot Tour and the American Film Institute, but not Honey I Shrunk the kids...so who do I believe?

That's what I did and it lists the Studio Backlot Tour and the American Film Institute, but not Honey I Shrunk the kids...so who do I believe?

Welcome to the DIS! I think that you may be looking under the wrong park. Look under Epcot, not HS.

Welcome to the DIS! I think that you may be looking under the wrong park. Look under Epcot, not HS.

But I thought Honey I Shrunk the Kids was is HS. Either way the only thing on the Disney site listed under Epcot is Test Track.

Isn't allears one of the unofficial sites? Why would it be on allears but not the actual official Disney site? So are sites like allears then more accurate and up to date? I'm just not sure where to get my information from and who to believe. Is there a phone number to call for this kind of thing? Thanks!
Normally, for most things, the official sites are the most reliable sources for true information. Disney is not normal.

Their IT department (other than being 90% outsourced) is pretty slow at updating things like park hours and refurbs. The unofficial sites (AllEars, WDWInfo, StitchKingdom, etc) typically pull their information from other sources including "on the ground" CMs, CM-facing information portal (updated a lot quicker than external sources), and travel agent-facing information portals (and others I'm sure). As such, they do tend to see updates earlier and more reliably than are shown on the Disney official site.

The only potential exception is last minute park hour changes (like, 2weeks out last minute), which do often get updated to the official site before they are distributed to other sources.

In these cases, I'd be more apt to believe the unofficial sites.

In general, I tend to believe whichever is the biggest let-down. So, if the 3rd parties are saying something is up, and Disney is saying it's down, I'd believe Disney, and vice versa. This way, if I'm there and it's up, I'm not disappointed, if I'm there and it's down, well, I was already expecting it :).

But I thought Honey I Shrunk the Kids was is HS. Either way the only thing on the Disney site listed under Epcot is Test Track.

Yes, Honey I Shrunk the Kids PLAY AREA is in HS. I think the pp was thinking you were referring to the old Honey I Shrunk the Audience show which was in Epcot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter