• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Refurbished Ipod Nano verses new one

becca-becca

DIS Veteran
Can anyone tell me what the difference between an 8 GB nano that is refurbished and a new one? The refurbished ones are 99.99 at applestore.com and the new ones are 149.99 everywhere. It needs to be able to dock (which we will also be buying). They do look different, but it doesn't say which generation the refurb ones are. The new ones are 4th, I think. Any help?

Also, if there is some reason to get a new one, are there any sales or coupons?

THANKS!

Does it have to be 8gb? Does it have to be 4th generation? I'm not sure if you would be interested but Discover card is giving away a NIB 4gb 3rd generation for being approved and activating( purchasing something) the card. I did this and am now waiting on the shipping email from Amazon. Even if you didn't want the 3rd generation, you could return it and use the credit toward the 4th generation.

I'm not one to sign up for credit cards but this deal is too good to be true.
I can justify a $150 ipod for my DS10.

Oh, here's the link:
http://www.mymp3playeroffer.com/?cid=61458&affid=55188867::e::mp3%20player::mp3%20player

I can't help you with the 8 gig question, as I am "gig-challenged". But I have purchased 3 refurbished Ipods from the Apple.com store. I purchased mine in Nov 2006 and it has worked great. I haven't had single problem with it. I also purchased on for my DMIL and DS. DMIL didn't want anything expensive so this was perfect.

the 3rd generation nanos have video capability and most docking decives will come with adapters so you can chose which device you have and dock it as needed. We ahve a few docks at home and can use them with either of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd generation nanos we have or the ipods or the iphones.

the new 4th genaration nano also has video capabilities but like the new itouch or iphone it can be viewed as landscape or portrait and you can actually shake it to get shuffle the songs (which is think is cool).

lara

I just purchased the 8gb for my ds for Christmas, for $99 bucks it was totally worth it, we did look at the new ones but the whole shaking thing was kinda weird I hope you can turn that off, cause my son use's a belt clip then goes to do BMX and it shakes all the time. :lmao: So we went with the older version, the only reason I would have bought new thru Apple is that they engrave it for free on any new Ipod (not refurb)

I just purchased the 8gb for my ds for Christmas, for $99 bucks it was totally worth it, we did look at the new ones but the whole shaking thing was kinda weird I hope you can turn that off, cause my son use's a belt clip then goes to do BMX and it shakes all the time. :lmao: So we went with the older version, the only reason I would have bought new thru Apple is that they engrave it for free on any new Ipod (not refurb)

That's cool that they'll engrave it...do you know how you go about getting that done? At an Apple store? Thanks!

I would have done it on Apple.com when you go to order one it gives you the option, and it ships for free too! :thumbsup2

I would have done it on Apple.com when you go to order one it gives you the option, and it ships for free too! :thumbsup2

You can't get the refurbs engraved. We have 3 all work great, not problems 1 year later

One year later and two refurbished Ipods are still going strong!!! I am thinking of buying another one this year for DS8!!

Does it have to be 8gb? Does it have to be 4th generation? I'm not sure if you would be interested but Discover card is giving away a NIB 4gb 3rd generation for being approved and activating( purchasing something) the card. I did this and am now waiting on the shipping email from Amazon. Even if you didn't want the 3rd generation, you could return it and use the credit toward the 4th generation.

I'm not one to sign up for credit cards but this deal is too good to be true.
I can justify a $150 ipod for my DS10.

Oh, here's the link:
http://www.mymp3playeroffer.com/?cid=61458&affid=55188867::e::mp3%20player::mp3%20player

When you applied, did you get instantly accepted or did you have to wait for them to tell you by mail?

Just wanted to let you know that target.com had 3rd generation Nano for $99 with a $15 itunes card. It is only the 4 gig, but that is fine for my DS11. I did this rather than the $79 dollar refurbished. I have a 1st generation refurbished that is still going great, but decided to go with the target deal

kathe

We purchased 8 gig refurb Nanos for our DDs for christmas this year. We went with the 3rd gen because we know that they like to use them on the bus and we figured they would be less likely to be stolen because they are not the new cool ones.

I also purchased the 8 gb for my DD's for x-mas. I have to agree that they look brand new. I would have loved to have them engraved, but it wasn't worth the added money of buying new.

How does the refurb compare is size/dimension to the new one. I know from the pic that the refurb looks like it's a little different in shape. I'm wondering how big it is. I've been planning to get my ds one for Christmas.

How does the refurb compare is size/dimension to the new one. I know from the pic that the refurb looks like it's a little different in shape. I'm wondering how big it is. I've been planning to get my ds one for Christmas.

The refub which is generation 3, I think, is square, the new one is oblong, more like the size of the generation two. I personally have the generation two, but I prefer the generation 3. I like the size much better of the square one, but I think it's all a personal preference. I also think that the generation 4 screen might be bigger.

Just wanted to let you know that target.com had 3rd generation Nano for $99 with a $15 itunes card. It is only the 4 gig, but that is fine for my DS11. I did this rather than the $79 dollar refurbished. I have a 1st generation refurbished that is still going great, but decided to go with the target deal

kathe

This sounds like it would be a perfect fit for what I'm looking for, for my DD11.
I looked on Target.com and could not find it...is it a new one? or refurb? Maybe I'm not looking in the right place? Would you mind helping me out to where on the site you found it! Thanks so much!!!

I also agree withh spending less for the basically the same thing...my concerns are having my DD lose or get her ipod stolen since she is repsonsible, but still young. Then it won't be so heartbreaking....

I have a refurb one, too. It's perfect, I was in shock when I recieved it! It's still ticking almost two years later :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter