Refurb 6d or 5d mark ii

kidneymomma

Mouseketeer
at a local camera store they sell refurb canon cameras. I looked online and currently a refurb 6d & 5d mark ii are onlly $50 in price. The 5d MK ii is of course the higher priced one. I want to buy from this store because a.) authorized canon retailer and b.) you can trade your old equipment in. I currently have the t1i to trade in; and the kit lens. I know I won't get hundreds of dollars but I would get a rebate so to say on the camera I choose but the question is which one should I choose?

at a local camera store they sell refurb canon cameras. I looked online and currently a refurb 6d & 5d mark ii are onlly $50 in price. The 5d MK ii is of course the higher priced one. I want to buy from this store because a.) authorized canon retailer and b.) you can trade your old equipment in. I currently have the t1i to trade in; and the kit lens. I know I won't get hundreds of dollars but I would get a rebate so to say on the camera I choose but the question is which one should I choose?

I would choose the 6D but get it refurbished at Adorama or Canon at $1,099

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-6d-body-refurbished

maybe your local camera store offers a similar deal (with one year warranty)

I posted something longer in the other similar thread...
But largely comes down to...
Best image quality - the 6D.
A pro-quality body - the 5Dii.

Remember, the 5dii is 4 years older, which is an eternity in technology. In terms of image quality and features, the 5dii probably has few, if any, advantages over the 6d. But it has a body meant to withstand shooting in a hurricane.

If you only currently have the t1i and kit lens, realize that when talking full frame, body is only the beginning. Lenses tend to get very expensive. And it's a waste to buy full frame if you aren't going to eventually be putting some pretty good lenses on it. Figure you may eventually spend 2-5 times as much on lenses, as on the body.
But also, if you only currently have the t1i and kit lens, then the "whole world is your oyster." Canon cameras are great, no question. But so are Sony, Nikon, Fuji, Samsung, etc. There is little reason to stick to a brand, if you aren't carrying over an expensive lens investment. "Brand familiarity" is pretty irrelevant, the learning curve doesn't change dramatically when shifting brands. (The bigger part of the learning curve will be going from an old entry level camera to a current enthusiast/pro grade camera). The 6D may be the best low light traditional dSLR for the money... But a camera like the Nikon D750 isn't necessarily that much more, and carries a lot of advantages including a far more advanced AF system and higher image quality.... A camera like the Sony A7 and A7ii is much smaller, with the same level of image quality, and a whole different set of pros and cons (with the A7ii, in body stabilization, more accurate AF thanks to on-sensor detection, big 100% viewfinder, but slower AF, smaller lens selection, etc).

A pro-grade camera is like a marriage --- because once you start buying lenses and flashes for the camera.. easily spending $1,500 to $5,000 to $10,000, you are pretty committed to the "system." (I know the difficulty.... I "divorced" Sony A-mount after many years, to re-marry Nikon). You're currently in the situation of being totally "single," so you have the chance to really pick which system you want to marry. The Canon choices are fantastic, but so are the other brands. So you have a chance to really decide what best suits you.

I would choose the 6D but get it refurbished at Adorama or Canon at $1,099

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-6d-body-refurbished

maybe your local camera store offers a similar deal (with one year warranty)

Currently the 6d is $1000 locally and the local store offers 30 day warranty plus the option to purchase an additional warranty. Before I buy I want to see how much they would be willing to give me for my T1i and lenses; obviously I'm not expecting much. But if I was able to get a little for them, I don't think the T1i is going for much these days nor is the 18-55 EF-s. That is why I have been swaying back and forth on a FF.

I posted something longer in the other similar thread...
But largely comes down to...
Best image quality - the 6D.
A pro-quality body - the 5Dii.

Remember, the 5dii is 4 years older, which is an eternity in technology. In terms of image quality and features, the 5dii probably has few, if any, advantages over the 6d. But it has a body meant to withstand shooting in a hurricane.

If you only currently have the t1i and kit lens, realize that when talking full frame, body is only the beginning. Lenses tend to get very expensive. And it's a waste to buy full frame if you aren't going to eventually be putting some pretty good lenses on it. Figure you may eventually spend 2-5 times as much on lenses, as on the body.
But also, if you only currently have the t1i and kit lens, then the "whole world is your oyster." Canon cameras are great, no question. But so are Sony, Nikon, Fuji, Samsung, etc. There is little reason to stick to a brand, if you aren't carrying over an expensive lens investment. "Brand familiarity" is pretty irrelevant, the learning curve doesn't change dramatically when shifting brands. (The bigger part of the learning curve will be going from an old entry level camera to a current enthusiast/pro grade camera). The 6D may be the best low light traditional dSLR for the money... But a camera like the Nikon D750 isn't necessarily that much more, and carries a lot of advantages including a far more advanced AF system and higher image quality.... A camera like the Sony A7 and A7ii is much smaller, with the same level of image quality, and a whole different set of pros and cons (with the A7ii, in body stabilization, more accurate AF thanks to on-sensor detection, big 100% viewfinder, but slower AF, smaller lens selection, etc).

A pro-grade camera is like a marriage --- because once you start buying lenses and flashes for the camera.. easily spending $1,500 to $5,000 to $10,000, you are pretty committed to the "system." (I know the difficulty.... I "divorced" Sony A-mount after many years, to re-marry Nikon). You're currently in the situation of being totally "single," so you have the chance to really pick which system you want to marry. The Canon choices are fantastic, but so are the other brands. So you have a chance to really decide what best suits you.

I've just always had Canon so I guess that is why I look at canon...... you raise very good points :) & I have other lenses I purchased the 18-200 mm (I think that's right) so I didn't need to switch from 18-55 & 55-200 (both came with my camera as a black Friday deal) and the 50mm (the cheap one). I'm just swaying on staying crop or going FF.

I've just always had Canon so I guess that is why I look at canon...... you raise very good points :) & I have other lenses I purchased the 18-200 mm (I think that's right) so I didn't need to switch from 18-55 & 55-200 (both came with my camera as a black Friday deal) and the 50mm (the cheap one). I'm just swaying on staying crop or going FF.

Pretty sure that 18-200 isn't compatible with the Canon full frames.

It's EF-s :(

Yes... You'd be starting all over on lenses. The good news is that when buying new, Canon lenses are slightly more affordable than Sony and Nikon lenses. And Tamron/Sigma are coming out with some exceptional value priced lenses. For example, I got the Tamron 24-70/2.8 for around $1100, instead of the Nikon version for $2000+.
All your current lenses (except maybe the 50) are AF-s.

And truthfully, owning good lenses is more important than owning a great camera body.

The 50mm is EF. Even if I stayed crop I would still like to get rid of the 55-250. I don't need two zooms & since getting the 50mm I like the prime so much better. When I purchased the camera I honestly knew nothing about DSLR; we just had our daughter and I wanted a nice camera to take pictures.

You can have a good deal on a refurb camera if you can get the same warrantee as you would get for with new one.

You can have a good deal on a refurb camera if you can get the same warrantee as you would get for with new one.

refurbished lens and cameras have the same one year "new" warranty
But there are opinions on whether refurbished items are the same as a new

As far as 6D or 5DmkII.... 6D. The 6D really is the 5DmkII updated in a lot of ways and I feel like the 5DmkII is only getting a higher price on the secondary market because there are a lot of pros who still cling to the line, and therefor a lot of enthusiasts who do as well. The 6D gets knocked for it's AF but in truth, it's got more accurate AF system than the 5DmkII. Just not as good as the 5DmkIII.

I've been shooting with a 6D for about 2 years now, BTW. The ISO performance is outstanding. All in all I'm very happy with it. Get the 24-105 to go with it. It's a sweet kit to start with when you're stepping up to FF.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter