Refund on Disney gift card when it's over the 1K limit?

UrsulaTheSeaWitch

Mouseketeer
I pay off my vacation with gift cards and I utilize the disney gift card website to transfer balances between cards. I had a resort reservation where I made an initial 750 payment from a gift card, then a couple days later I transferred balances onto the same gift card and made the final payment of 500. This way if the trip got cancelled my money would all go to one card.

This Wednesday morning I cancelled the resort reservation because our plans changed. I just went on the gift card website to see if my card was refunded yet and I only see the second 500 dollar portion refunded. Looking around the site, I JUST saw the notice that you can only carry a max 1k balance on a gift card.

So did Disney try to refund me both payments and only one went through and the other one rejected because the balance would have exceeded the 1k limit?

I immediately moved the 500 refund onto another card and I'm hoping disney will automatically try again tomorrow to refund the 750 payment and this time it will be accepted because the card balance is now 0. Is this wishful thinking on my part? Its too late to call now and I just wanted to check to see if anyone else ran into this situation before.

Thanks

Does anyone know the answer to this question?

I have a similar issue...

You will need to call Disney to get them to refund the money once there is space on the giftcard. I know I called guest services and they had to transfer me to another department, but I don't remember which. They were experienced with dealing with that situation and the refund went through within a few hours.

I had this happen to me when I switched reservations. On my original reservation I had used 2 different GCs to pay off the room, which maxed out one card and left a balance on the other. I then transferred other funds onto the GC that still had money, which I planned to use when we visited. But, I was able to get a better deal on a room and it involved cancelling the previous reservation and booking a new one. When the first one was transferred, they attempted to refund. The one onto the empty card was fine, but the other card would have ended up with a balance over $1k. I transferred enough off that card and called back and they were able to refund asap.

You will need to call Disney to get them to refund the money once there is space on the giftcard. I know I called guest services and they had to transfer me to another department, but I don't remember which. They were experienced with dealing with that situation and the refund went through within a few hours.

I had this happen to me when I switched reservations. On my original reservation I had used 2 different GCs to pay off the room, which maxed out one card and left a balance on the other. I then transferred other funds onto the GC that still had money, which I planned to use when we visited. But, I was able to get a better deal on a room and it involved cancelling the previous reservation and booking a new one. When the first one was transferred, they attempted to refund. The one onto the empty card was fine, but the other card would have ended up with a balance over $1k. I transferred enough off that card and called back and they were able to refund asap.
Thanks for the reply.

Yay! It ended up that I didn't even have to call because I was patient. I had to cancel a split stay and rebook into one stay, so I had more than the $1000 allowance owed back to me. I cleared the card down to $0 and they deposited the first night deposit onto the card and I transferred it off. Then the next day, they transferred the second deposit to the gift card.

I'm actually using several gift cards for my trip. I have some that are designated just for the room stay (Room 1, Room 2, etc) with that written on the back of them over the "disclaimer text." Then I have a card just for use in the parks with my initials on it. That way, I'm hoping to avoid any issues if I have to cancel/return something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter