• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Refund of port fees and taxes from missed PV port from the WBPC

Krissy22222

Mouseketeer
On the recent WBPC, we missed the port of Puerto Vallarta due to violence in the area. Can we ask for a refund on the port fees and taxes for this missed port? I paid for the cruise with Disney gift cards, so it would not automatically go back to my credit card. Anyone know about how much the taxes and fees would be for a party of 7? I want to know if it's even worth it to bother. I've called Disney and they don't seem to understand my problem, or are pretending not to? Disney gift cards are great when it comes to saving money, but such a hassle when you are owed a refund. It makes me not want to bother using them again.

Normally port fees are refunded automatically. They tend to be very small pp, did they replace any ports? if so there are extra fees there.

If DCL chose not to go there to avoid a storm but there wasn't a storm at the port at that time they might have still had to pay them hence no refund.

But since I used gift cards, I am having trouble getting an automatic refund. I called the gift card phone number on the back of the card to get the amount of each card, in the hopes that I would find one with a dollar amount on it. Took over an hour. If anyone can verify that the refunded amount per person is very small, I won't bother.

But since I used gift cards, I am having trouble getting an automatic refund. I called the gift card phone number on the back of the card to get the amount of each card, in the hopes that I would find one with a dollar amount on it. Took over an hour. If anyone can verify that the refunded amount per person is very small, I won't bother.
It is always very very small.

We just received a refund on our mastercard from DCL for $78 for our upcoming September cruise. Party of 4. Assuming the estimated port taxes for one of our ports is less so they gave us a refund? $78 will be buy us some games of bingo or several drinks of the day/coffees at cove cafe so I'd still try and get to the bottom of it if I were you ;-)

No, they didn't replace the port. Makes sense they may have still had to pay the fees to Puerto Vallarta, for backing out of the reservation or something along those lines, I didn't think about that.

Since there were still a few days left of your cruise when you missed the port, possibly they applied the refund to your onboard account? But, generally, port fees and taxes usually are fairly small. Right off-hand, I recall that (for two of us) when we missed a port once, we got something like $12.00 back.

If you have an iphone, there's a Disney giftcard app. Enter all the GCs in there and then you can occasionally go through and refresh them to check for a refund. I've gotten an email about weird refunds from DCL in the past, after the refund has happened, FWIW.

No, they didn't replace the port. Makes sense they may have still had to pay the fees to Puerto Vallarta, for backing out of the reservation or something along those lines, I didn't think about that.

I went on a EBPC before we missed a port no refunds at all..

As I recall DCL choose a route way out in the Pacific to avoid a storm which had not hit but to ensure it got to Panama safely and on time. I can see the port still charging them.

I was on the WBPC last month that cancelled the PV day. The refund was so minimal. I remember seeing it go back to my credit card but it was super small. I can't remember the amount.

We just received a refund on our mastercard from DCL for $78 for our upcoming September cruise. Party of 4. Assuming the estimated port taxes for one of our ports is less so they gave us a refund? $78 will be buy us some games of bingo or several drinks of the day/coffees at cove cafe so I'd still try and get to the bottom of it if I were you ;-)

When we have gotten a refund for port fee changes, it's usually been less than $10 a person. I think our last one was $12 for both of us. We thought "Yay, a free drink". :) I don't know what your refund is for, but I'm not sure it's port fees. I suppose it could be if they were really high to begin with.

When we have gotten a refund for port fee changes, it's usually been less than $10 a person. I think our last one was $12 for both of us. We thought "Yay, a free drink". :) I don't know what your refund is for, but I'm not sure it's port fees. I suppose it could be if they were really high to begin with.

Interesting....well I'll take my $78 and run lol Hope they don't want it back ;-)

We missed a port on our Jan 2013 WC because of a medical emergency. I had paid with gc too. We ended up getting a random check in the mail for something less than $20 (there were 2 of us) 4-6 months later. It wasn't clear on the check what it was for so I called the company on the check. (The name wasn't Disney or the TA or anything else I could ID). They explained it was for the port fees.

We were on your cruise and we got back something like a grand total of $9 for the 3 of us. We used gift cards also. I called dcl and they told me the last 4 digits of the gift cards it was put on. They put $4 on one and $5 on another one. Makes a lot of sense! Lol.

We were also on that cruise (family of 3) and got about $23 back on our credit card. I wonder why @mom4fun only got $9 back? I do know that if you paid by gift card...the credit will go back to a gift card.

I just checked and our refund (for three of us) was $9.42. The date it posted to my account was May 18.

I would find one with a dollar amount on it. Took over an hour.
7a11.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter