Refrigerator Door in Poly?!?!?

vod2117

DIS Veteran
I heard a funny rumor that if the cabinet door in the Polynesian to the refrigerator is closed, the refrigerator will not work. Is that true?

It is true. The room update included a cabinet to hold the refrigerator. Unfortunately, this cabinet does not provide proper ventilation and the refrigerator can ice up and stop working. You can avoid problems by not shutting the cabinet door all the way. If you arrive and the frig is already iced-up, just call the front desk and they will send engineering around to de-ice it.

You would think the Polynesian would just take a router to door and fix the problem once and for all. A "Hidden Mickey" cutout would fix it.

BTW, we are heading to the Poly starting June 10th for ten days in a Lagoon View room (my TA got me a discount) in Hawaii Building. This is our first time CL and I do not expect to need the frig as much as in the past.

We have never had this problem, or maybe we didn't notice it. But we always kept it closed and our drinks were cold :confused3

We had no issues and our door was always closed. I certainly would have noticed too because I have breastmilk in there. That would have been a nasty surprise if it didn't stay cold.

This happened to us all 3 stays at Poly. We forgot about it last stay a couple months ago and it ruined all of our cold items like milk. It was a real hassle getting it fixed ~ they finally brought up a new one and the lady said it's a common problem and happens all the time......she did advise us to keep the cabinet door open or else the same thing will happen.

Do the refrigerators at the poly hold a gallon of milk, or should we purchase 1/2 gallon at a time? Thanks...and sorry for jumping in with a related question.

Yeah--We always leave the cabinet door open to ventilate the fridge.

The fridge will hold a few 1/2 gal containers but not whole gallons. We usually fit 2 1/2 gal white, a larger bottle of choc milk, some water bottles, yogurt, a few beers, etc. I just have to remove/rearrange the wire shelf a little.

I'M here now, and our fridge has not worked all week. I thought it was because the fridge door had to be pushed past the hinge in order for it to close, and my darlng husband REFUSES to push it closed. LOL!

On our last trip when we arrived we found our fridge was very hot and overheating. The door looked to be closed but it turned out it wasn't. Because of the cabinet door, it was stuck open the tiniest bit and the freezer part was constantly on. We pushed the whole fridge back about 1-2 inches and then it closed properly and worked perfectly all week.

I think that some folks pull it forward naturally while using it and hits a point where the door very slightly jams. Disney shoukd fix the cabinet but until then we'll check whether it needs to be pushed back every time we check in.

They don't work great. If you leave the cabinet door open, it works better, but still not great. Also, remember to leave a note for mousekeeping to leave it open when they clean the room. We have also used the sink filled with ice to keep milk cold. I think on our next trip, we will get a cheap cooler to keep in the room and fill it with ice. It will be better than the fridge!;)

We just returned from the Poly last Sunday....I had heard about the door issue, too. We never left the cabinet door opened and had no problems. Now I will say that it wasn't super cold, but kept our cokes cool. Didn't notice it overheating. Also, didn't notice any type of sign giving us a warning about fridges overheating. Who knows???:confused3

This happened to us in March 09. We were staying at the Poly and had ordered quite a bit of cold food. I thought the fridge was broken as it was "hot" inside, and they brought another one. The cm that brought it told us to keep a clean washrag over the cabinet door so that it would stay cracked and ventilated. We did that and didnt have a problem as long as the washcloth was there keeping the door proped open.

This has me a little worried, I travel with medications that have to be kept cold or they will spoil and I'm kinda afraid to put them in the frig at the Poly for fear the frig will not stay cold enough and my medications will be ruined. The biggest problem I have is my medication is a special order so if something happens to it in the frig I cannot easily get a replacement and it's certainly not cheap.

Thanks for the wash cloth tip, I'll be sure to do that so the cabinet doors stays slightly open. I guess I'll just keep checking the refrigerator several times throughout to make sure it's working properly.

I was at Poly last Jan 2010, and didn't have a problem, we kept the cabinet door closed.

we were told about leaving the door open, we had fridge issues. you can pull the fridge out and plug it in elsewhere in the room, if you have some extra space..LOL .

We had the same issues for the past 2 years at the Polynesian...funny thing is, the front desk advised us to leave the cabinet door open, which we did and it helped a lot. BUT, housekeeping ALWAYS closed it when they came into the room. So annoying! I even left notes...still came back in the evening to warm drinks!

We had the same issues for the past 2 years at the Polynesian...funny thing is, the front desk advised us to leave the cabinet door open, which we did and it helped a lot. BUT, housekeeping ALWAYS closed it when they came into the room. So annoying! I even left notes...still came back in the evening to warm drinks!

:scared1: Wow, I'm sorry but if I leave you a NOTE and you still do whatever you want, then we're going to have a problem. I would have either talked to management or just left my Privacy Please sign on the door the whole trip. There's no way I'm going to tell housekeeping not to do something (something that they should be aware of since they work there!) and then they do whatever they want to anyway. :mad:

I read on the tikiman site that it's mostly the Tahiti rooms that have this problem.

"I read on the tikiman site that it's mostly the Tahiti rooms that have this problem.[/QUOTE]"

I will agree with this statement. We always stay in the Tahiti building and twice have had to call and get a new fridge. Other times we have had to leave the cabinet door open for long periods of time. We usually leave the cabinet door open during the night to help the ventilation. The contents are not super cold, but cold enough.

Just call maintenance from your room phone, they show up within 5-15 minutes and are very helpful.

Yes this is true. we had this problem with our fridges (in all three rooms) in Tokelau building in April of this year (2010). Leaving it open helped, but not completely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter