Refillable Mugs

disney1990

<font color=royalblue>Wow, it make my heart skip a
Every couple months somebody asks about reusing their refillable mugs on the next visit to Disney. Everytime they ask, it cause them to get flamed.

Ok, here's my questions: How many refillable mugs do you own? Do you buy them everytime you go to Disney and how often do you go?

Now, what do you do with all those refillable mugs that you have purchased -- especially all those people out there that go to Disney once, twice or three times a year.

I don't know about you, but if I had bought mugs everytime we went (now we usually end up just buying canned sodas for the room), I would have boxes of mugs. I don't know about you, but I think about all the stuff that we just "throw away" in this country, and where the heck is it all suppose to go?

I would personally love to see Disney institute a sticker program for the mugs. Good for xx/xx/xxxx to xx/xx/xxx. I would gladly pay a set amount to actually be able to "legally" be able to reuse the mugs that I already have (and believe me, I have lots).

Just my thoughts.

I don't care if I get flamed but I used the same one last year. if they change the design I would buy new or if I switched hotels but I see no need since they get there soda for free and the cups are super small.

We have a set of four from the following: Contemporary, Disney Wonder, Castaway Cay, Pop Century, All Star Movies, and Blizzard beach. We have assorted numbers of other cups from fantasmic, castaway cay as well as seaworld. We really use them while down there so we don't mind getting them, and though we could use them more while at home we can't bare to throw them out. So unless they change the design it's really pushin the cupboard space to get more. We'll be bringing ours back since we're at the same hotel. :drinking1 :rolleyes1

OMG this is the perfect post for me!!!!! I love you so much for creating it!!!

Ok... I own(ed) two refillable mugs. My first trip to Disney World where I stayed on site was at All-Star Movies. Bought a mug! YAY! In purple to MY fave COLOR! Anyways, a couple months after I get home... it's MIA! No where to be found (and trust me my lil heart was mourning it too, I used it when I drank everything).

Anyways, second trip I said at POP. Bought another Mug! YAY I CAN USE IT TO REPLACE THE STOLEN ONE! Ok, so we come home and I use it every day and blah blah blah (this one was purple also). Then guess what IT WENT MIA also! What on living earth is happening to my mugs. They like hate me and run away.

Anyways, when I go back next time, staying at the Pop again (unless its booked), I am buying another mug (also in purple).

I go every two years, and from the look of it, I will buy a mug every time I go!

BTW I went to Disney World with my sister, and I was so upset when my second mug left me, she offered to give me hers!

The decision to purchase a mug, like anything else, depends on the circumstances. I have purchased mugs at CBR (10 day stay) and POFQ (5 day stay). 6 mugs total.

I did not purchase a mug at WL as I stayed concierge and coffee and drinks were generally provided anyway. We did not purchase mugs at BCV because 1) we stayed DVC, made coffee, and did a grocery run for soda and did groceries and 2) the snack bar was far from our villa.

Would I bring my CBR mug back if I were staying at CBR again? No. That mug is dated. PORQ is not dated, although it does have the disclaimer. The mugs will not be coming on upcoming trips this year as we are staying at new places.

I think we all need to lighten up on the mug questions. IMHO, these are wonderful souvenirs. I use the travel ones often and have made my $ back over and over again just on their use after my vacation has ended.

Yes I agree with magsmom. The mugs are great souveniers. If my mugs woulda been guys, I woulda married them ;). I really did love my mugs. :(

Originally Posted By Jasminesmommy:
I don't care if I get flamed but I used the same one last year. if they change the design I would buy new or if I switched hotels but I see no need since they get there soda for free and the cups are super small.

I am not ‘flaming’. I just don’t get it.

I have seen many of the threads on this subject and it always leaves me scratching my head, wondering what everyone is thinking. The above statement, however, could not be ignored and really takes the proverbial cake: “. . .they get there (sic) soda for free. . .” What the heck is that? Disney gets free soda?

I really have a hard time reading how almost everyone tries to justify theft. When you go to McDonalds or Wendy’s or Burger King, do you save the cup and take it with you the next time you dine in? And again? And again? Where is the difference in doing it at WDW??? Because they are ‘the happiest place on Earth’, or because they are a large Corp. and it’s just-little-old-me, or the cups are super small so it’s not that much? If everyone did it, (and really. . . it appears almost everyone does), does that make it right? No.

I could not look my children in the eyes and tell them to be honest, truthful, not to steal, and have integrity if I paid one time for a soda cup, then continued to use it trip after trip. What part of “Free refill valid for length of stay only” is confusing? And a lot of you do it in front of your children, or with them.

I just don’t get it.

P.S. Thanks, Erika, for sounding like you do get it. Your reply was very classy.

We always bought them, but we never brought them home with us. We wouldn't use them at home, so I saw no reason to lug them home.

We have Refillable mugs from our 1999 trip, and our 2001 trip. From ASMovies and Blizzard Beach. We just take them on all our trips, we've never been told we can't use them....

I believe they were about $11 or $12 each i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong and they are intended for only the resort or park you get them from and only your length of stay

and to answer Waggy182 I wouldn't consider re-using mugs a horrible deed unless you go to the resort several times a year and live at the refill machine. And of course it isn't free for Disney but they don't pay an arm and a leg for it surely with all their steep prices re-using mugs isn't going to shut them down

Waggy182 said:
I really have a hard time reading how almost everyone tries to justify theft. When you go to McDonalds or Wendy’s or Burger King, do you save the cup and take it with you the next time you dine in? And again? And again? Where is the difference in doing it at WDW??? Because they are ‘the happiest place on Earth’, or because they are a large Corp. and it’s just-little-old-me, or the cups are super small so it’s not that much? If everyone did it, (and really. . . it appears almost everyone does), does that make it right? No.

So you're the person that always drives exactly the speed limit in front of me!

We have at least two mugs from each resort we have stayed at. Since we rarely have stayed at the same resort twice it hasn't been much of a problem. Those other times we wind up forgetting the mugs and either go without or get new ones.

Disney Gator said:
So you're the person that always drives exactly the speed limit in front of me!

:rotfl2: :rotfl2:
No that was me, I have two kids in the backseat. :)

BeckWhy said:
What on living earth is happening to my mugs. They like hate me and run away.
I bet someone stole them and is at Pop right now, filling them up on their way to pool-hop at the Poly! :rotfl:

Urban Rumor: Disney does NOT get it's soda for free. In exchange for the advertisement benefit to Coke they do get a special deal on the price. However any loss of revenue from soda being taken without being paid for is passed on to the customer in other areas such as more expensive mugs.

So I always find these mug threads interesting, because so many seem to justify it by one, Coke is free, and two I paid for the mug years ago and I am not going to buy another to save money. Disney is not going to lose money, so therefore Yes you are going to pay for the soda, either directly or indirectly.

Sad thing is everyone else has to cover that loss too. Therefore I don't buy mugs at Disney anymore due to this. Before the abuse became so obvious I bought probably 6 or so.

I never remember being told the mugs were good for life, I mean really did anyone truly expect that to be the case. I have asked many Disney management employees if they ever remember that being the case and they emphatically say No, it was never the case, another case of rumor spread on Internet forums.

Regardless the policy is now, length of stay. I find no reason to go against that policy anymore than thinking I can buy a pass to the MK for what it cost 10 years ago.

Jasminesmommy said:

What Disney pays for the soda is irrelevent. Under that logic I should be able to just bring one of the glasses from my hotel room to fill it up for free. If the cups are too small then why would you buy one?

To answer the OP I have around 10 mugs at home. I use them on a daily basis. When they start to look grubby I throw them out. If Disney was selling the mugs without the soda refills they'd go for at least $5 and probably closer to $10. How many refills does it take to cover the price difference? Maybe 3 or 4? How many days does that take? One or two maybe?

The signs have been up for years. Most CM's are allowing for free drinks; old mugs, 7-11 mugs and even bread bags but THIS IS A COURTESY and not something we're entitled to.

We have 2 or 4 from most of the resorts we have visited over the years. (See my signature) We enjoy putting our coffee in them for our morning commute.

If we will be there for a week or more we usually buy new mugs. If it is a long weekend visit we don't. It isn't cost efficient for us.

We have never used old mugs for any reason, even upon our next visit to the same resort.

In the grand scheme of the things people pay for while on a WDW vacation, it seems to me that the cost of mugs is nothing. I find it rather amusing what people will and won't pay for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter