• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

refillable mug question (for split stay)

chris4disney

DIS Veteran
Next month we plan to stay 4 nights at BLT and then move over to BCV for 4 nights. I was planning on getting the refillable mugs at BLT and also using them over at BCV. :confused3 Does anyone see an issue with that? My concern is that if and when they add the mugs with the chips in them at all resorts, that what I'd like to do won't be possible without buying all new mugs at the second resort. And I honestly don't feel like we're cheating the system by using the mugs at our second resort. Technically we're still on our same Disney trip. Any thoughts? And yes, I am one who buys new mugs on every trip. I don't bring old ones back from home. I just don't think I need to buy new mugs 5 days later just because we've moved down the street.:eek::rotfl:

And maybe I don't know enough about how the mugs with the chips in them work. When you purchase them does the cashier ask how many days you plan to stay? Or maybe they are just always good for 14 days or so like the park tickets? :confused3

I am sure others will disagree but I do not see a problem with it. If you never leave WDW I am sure they would not expect you to keep purchasing mugs. I don't know what will happen after they make the changes :confused3

Technically, the rule is the mug is good for your length of stay at the resort you bought it at. So, no, you might not be able to use it at BCV. Just another reason not to resort hop. Move in and stay put.

We went to CBR and POP. We bought our mug at CBR and took them with us when we went to POP. I think they said if you tell them they will make the chip as long as your stay is. It's foolish to buy that many mugs- it's only 1 vacation at WDW.

We have done multiple split-stays and have been told by CM's and managers alike that we do NOT need to buy a new refillable mug when we move to our second resort within the same vacation.

If we left Disney, flew home, and then returned a few months later, that would be a different story, but we have always been told that split-stays still count as ONE vacation.

& I have even inquired about the signs that say "from the resort you purchased from" to multiple CM's and the response was that sign means you cannot visit another resort and bring your mug with you to refill. They said because split-stays are not a common concept, they do not spell out that exception on the signs.

In turn, I have re-used my mug during split stays. Bought it at CBR, used it at CBR, checked out of CBR and into Poly & used my mug from CBR at the Poly during that same vacation until I flew home. We are headed to WDW in a few months and I plan to buy a new mug when we get there.

If you are in doubt, just ask a CM when you get there :)

We went to CBR and POP. We bought our mug at CBR and took them with us when we went to POP. I think they said if you tell them they will make the chip as long as your stay is. It's foolish to buy that many mugs- it's only 1 vacation at WDW.

Did I miss something? Is this chip being used now?

Any thoughts? And maybe I don't know enough about how the mugs with the chips in them work. When you purchase them does the cashier ask how many days you plan to stay? Or maybe they are just always good for 14 days or so like the park tickets? :confused3

The chip will only allow you to use the cup during the duration of the stay at the resort you bought the cup at. That is how Disney intends for the "system" to work. Even if you don't think you are cheating the "system", you are. I'm glad they are putting in the chip. Ends the debate on what Disney expects.

This is always a hot topic but bottom line is you should be fine to use the mug at BCV ... :thumbsup2 As others have said, you're not coming back after a few months, you're still on property - just switching resorts.

... and I don't believe they are using the chip technology everywhere at Disney just yet. I know they were trialing it at one of the All Star resorts but haven't heard anything further on it being implemented at the others just yet :confused3

You'll be fine. I think the water parks are the only one that have the chips. I went in April and saw people with the mug from last yr (red mug with yellow or black lid)
shelly

The chip will only allow you to use the cup during the duration of the stay at the resort you bought the cup at. That is how Disney intends for the "system" to work. Even if you don't think you are cheating the "system", you are. I'm glad they are putting in the chip. Ends the debate on what Disney expects.

Actually, I've talked to CM's about the potential of this as well-chips being used across resorts. We were told, if they put that into place, you could bring your mug to the front desk of your old resort, they would look you up to verify your story, and restart the chip to the remainder of your stay at that resort.

Yes, using the mugs will be fine. If they do have the chips I agree with the others go to the front desk and see if they can help you out.

... and I don't believe they are using the chip technology everywhere at Disney just yet. I know they were trialing it at one of the All Star resorts but haven't heard anything further on it being implemented at the others just yet :confused3

That's what I thought :goodvibes.

We really won't know the "official" and "technologic" answer to this until they start using the chip technology at more than one resort. It will be interesting to see what happens then.

You'll be fine. I think the water parks are the only one that have the chips. I went in April and saw people with the mug from last yr (red mug with yellow or black lid)
shelly

Sorry, incorrect. They are using the chip technology at All Star Sports. At the water parks they use a daily bar code that you can purchase and put on your water park mug.

People bring back old mugs because they think there is nothing stopping them from doing so. The new chip will do that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter