• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

>> Refillable Mug FAQ <<

Sorry but I am not so sad that the handles are gone. I don't spend almost $20 on a mug that I will only use for 10 days. No way, no how.

But, if I can continue to use it at home, no problem.

So, no, I don't buy them to use at Disney. I buy them to use at Disney AND at home.

Sorry but I am not so sad that the handles are gone. I don't spend almost $20 on a mug that I will only use for 10 days. No way, no how.

But, if I can continue to use it at home, no problem.

So, no, I don't buy them to use at Disney. I buy them to use at Disney AND at home.

But...10 days worth of $2-3 drinks equals breaking even. And the disposable soda and coffee cups don't have handles on them if you buy them one at a time, so there's not much difference. (except that if you buy drinks every day for 10 days you're spending way more than the mug would be)

We're staying in ASMu and will only be eating breakfast in the food court for 4 days at most. Is it worth it to even get these while we're there? Will it even pay for itself?

(We're not frequent WDW visitors btw. So who knows when we'll ever be back at WDW again.)

drinks are about $3 each, so you need to use the mug at least six times to break even. So in your case it probably isn't worth it.

If you get a paper cup you can still refill while you are in the food court.

But...10 days worth of $2-3 drinks equals breaking even. And the disposable soda and coffee cups don't have handles on them if you buy them one at a time, so there's not much difference. (except that if you buy drinks every day for 10 days you're spending way more than the mug would be)
Right, but since I drive, I also have the option of packing soda. Which means that I can pay regular grocery store prices for soda.

I buy to mug to use at Disney and at home. At home I much prefer a mug without a handle.

what is the picture on the mugs? have they changed it from the last few years now that they are handle-less?

what is the picture on the mugs? have they changed it from the last few years now that they are handle-less?

The current picture is the "entering Walt Disney World" theme with resort logos and signs. They didn't change the picture design with the switch to handle-less, or with the reported switch back to handles.

From April 2016:
upload_2016-4-26_8-16-35-png.164660

Last edited:

I just got back home. If you only want a handled mug I was able to get one at Animal Kingdom. Of course it won't work at resorts but is a good souvenir.

We were there last week and had the new mugs which were included with the DDP but I also brought my old Handled mug with me just for coffee and hot chocolate (because I didn't want the taste to mess with my soda).

Ok I'm a bit confused... They were going handle less. Did all resorts get the handle less? Then there were rumors that handles were coming back. Did this actually happen? I'm trying to figure out which will be there next week when we get there.

Ok I'm a bit confused... They were going handle less. Did all resorts get the handle less?

Yes.

Then there were rumors that handles were coming back. Did this actually happen?

No.

I'm trying to figure out which will be there next week when we get there.

If the rumor is true and if they get a shipment of handled mugs in before you arrive the you should have a choice. Other than that, I would expect mugs with no handles.

If the rumor is true and if they get a shipment of handled mugs in before you arrive the you should have a choice. Other than that, I would expect mugs with no handles.

Thank you! There are six of us and I needed to know if I should bring a carrier to help get everyone's drinks in the mornings.

I am at All Star Movies and no handles. Also tried the Polynesian, AKL and the Contemporary and no handles there either.

Last edited:
We just got back and no handles. I'm lucky in that I have big hands so I can carry a load of cups (I wake up early so I'm the designated drink person), but it was amazing to sit there and watch the number of people struggle/dump drinks. In case it hasn't been said (not going back to check), the tops are the same so they don't really stack either.

ok stupid question.. can you use your mug at the restaurant of the resort you are staying at?
If I don't have to pay for soft drinks would be good savings - there are six of us

ok stupid question.. can you use your mug at the restaurant of the resort you are staying at?
If I don't have to pay for soft drinks would be good savings - there are six of us

The first post in this thread explains how the mug program works. The mugs can be used for soda, water, hot chocolate, iced tea, coffee, and hot water for tea at the quick service dining location at any Disney resort. They can't be used to get free drinks at table service restaurants.

The first post in this thread explains how the mug program works. The mugs can be used for soda, water, hot chocolate, iced tea, coffee, and hot water for tea at the quick service dining location at any Disney resort. They can't be used to get free drinks at table service restaurants

I understand that you cannot bring the mug to any restaurant or the parks but if I am staying at Beach club and drinking soda by the pool why can I not bring that same mug to the cape may restaurant. I can bring my own bottle of water so why not the mug. I am not asking for a refill

I understand that you cannot bring the mug to any restaurant or the parks but if I am staying at Beach club and drinking soda by the pool why can I not bring that same mug to the cape may restaurant. I can bring my own bottle of water so why not the mug. I am not asking for a refill

Sure you can BRING your mug into Cape May. But your original question was can you USE the mug at Cape May for free drinks, and as @Lynne M stated no you can't.

Are you asking if you can fill everyone's mug up before you go into a table service restaurant, instead of ordering drinks with your meal at the restaurant?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter