• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Refillable beer mugs-really 22 oz???

peachypie

Earning My Ears
I love the beer mug as a souvenir as well as the ease of grabbing the token instead of having to wash or lug around a heavy beer mug all day. But, I questioned the tall and narrow size of the mug and if it is really 22 ounces.
A short time after I returned home, I checked. I didn't use any scientific materials to measure .....just some water and a Pyrex measuring cup and, when I filled the mug to the very top, it barely made it to the 20 oz. level.
Given the usual beer pour has some foam at the top, I am thinking I was getting 17 oz. at best for the 16oz price.
I don't feel ultimately duped in any way as I still would have purchased the mug if I was told that I get a 16 oz refill at a 16 oz price. But I think someone could get upset by this.
Wondering if anyone has ever questioned this.

I used a graduated measuring beaker and got 21 oz. to the very top. I've never seen a significant head on a Disney beer, so I expect about 19 oz. in each pour. I've used the same beer card for 5 cruises now. I've gotten my money's worth.

I think you should certainly show a video of it to the DCL guest services and see what they say about it.

I checked out our mug from 2011. I was able to get 22 oz. in it with a little bit of space to spare. Looks like they might be making the mugs a little smaller and charging the same price.

I guess it's a good thing we buy it for the souvenir more than the "deal" on beer.

(Now we need to verify if the 16 oz glasses of beer are really 16 oz.)

I guess it's a good thing we buy it for the souvenir more than the "deal" on beer.

(Now we need to verify if the 16 oz glasses of beer are really 16 oz.)

I would almost bet that when places are giving you the ounce size it is actually how much the glass holds if full to the very brim, the reality is that you always get an ounce or two less.

I love the beer mug as a souvenir as well as the ease of grabbing the token instead of having to wash or lug around a heavy beer mug all day. But, I questioned the tall and narrow size of the mug and if it is really 22 ounces.
A short time after I returned home, I checked. I didn't use any scientific materials to measure .....just some water and a Pyrex measuring cup and, when I filled the mug to the very top, it barely made it to the 20 oz. level.
Given the usual beer pour has some foam at the top, I am thinking I was getting 17 oz. at best for the 16oz price.
I don't feel ultimately duped in any way as I still would have purchased the mug if I was told that I get a 16 oz refill at a 16 oz price. But I think someone could get upset by this.
Wondering if anyone has ever questioned this.

So funny! My husband also tested this and found it to be about 20 oz in his beer mug. :) He does still enjoy it though and has gotten his money out of it cruise after cruise.

I would almost bet that when places are giving you the ounce size it is actually how much the glass holds if full to the very brim, the reality is that you always get an ounce or two less.

Well, in Seattle the Seahawks stadium got in big trouble for doing that sort of thing. They had to change cups.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter