Reedy Creek Firefighters at impasse

My full support to all of you. Our neighboring city is going through the same thing. They have not added any firefighters since 1983 even though their calls have gone up 250%. They have even hired a PR firm to represent them. It's a tough situation. We have been very lucky. We have added 2 paramedics per shift and have built a new station and replaced all engins and the ladder. Don't give up, all your brothers and sisters are with you. I plan on stopping by when I'm down there in Jan. :firefight

Do you work 24/48s...Do the guys "mind" you stopping by the station... I have seen pictures in my architecture book of the one station, but have never actually been there..

The best time to come to the Station One is from 0900-1700 hours M-F. Outside of those hours the crews are trying to either check out their trucks and equipment or are having dinner and trying to get some "down time" so you would be more welcome from 0900-1700 from M-F.

By the way...the latest info on the impasse is the union rejected the district's last offer, which was not actually in writting. The union counter offered a one year contract to stay within the three year time frame (2002,03,04) and we have not received a reply from the district yet.

Call volume for year 2003 was 25,172 alarms. Last call of the year, Rescue 11 at 2348. First call of the year at 0004 by Medic 1!! 58 calls at 1530 hours on 1-1-04!
:firefight

Due to the Orange Level of Terror Alert all Reedy Creek Fire Stations are under "lock down" which means no visitors, tours or tee shirt sales at ANY station!

The website is still up though! www.reedycreek.org

When you compare Reedy Creek to a "normal" fire department such as Orange County, Florida, this is what you get:

Reedy Creek Year 2003: 25,172 alarms 120 employees
Orange County 2003: 83, 816 845 employees

That comes out to about 100 calls per employee for Orange County and over 200 calls per employee for Reedy Creek! Cool averages huh?

Orange County has been adding employees every year and Reedy Creek hasn't added any additional fire operations employees for over 15 years!

caparamedic and the rest of the crews keep up the great work you all do ( ex UK firefighter here lol )

jj........ :wave2:

I've read that in my area they are cutting jobs for firefighters,paramedics and police! I live in a northern state. I can't understand why they don't make these jobs the top priority!

Good luck!:sunny: You do a great job!:sunny:

HA!!

Everyone LOVES the FD..no one wants to pay for them!! Taxes are how Fire Rescue( at least Margate) gets paid..but when they try to increase the amount..everyone goes up in arms..but they think nothing of calling 911 when they are constipated (yes...SEVERAL calls a month for this!)

I know how you fell but not all cities are like that. In fact we had a special dinner last night to honor the out going mayor. In his term we were able to buy two new engines a $700K ladder a rescue unit, admin. building and more importantly add 8 new paramedics. I do fear that those times have ended with the new administartion but that's OK we're in real good shape now. :firefight
Keep up the fight caparamedice.

Originally posted by mtdevine615
I know how you fell but not all cities are like that. In fact we had a special dinner last night to honor the out going mayor. In his term we were able to buy two new engines a $700K ladder a rescue unit, admin. building and more importantly add 8 new paramedics. I do fear that those times have ended with the new administartion but that's OK we're in real good shape now. :firefight
Keep up the fight caparamedice.

Hopefully, we will be out of our Orange Alert mode by the time you visit, but the news today leads me to believe we will remain at the High alert for a while.

If we drop to yellow, be sure to stop by. We are just up the road from Pop Century. Funny how the century is from 1950s to 1990s only! Can't believe they may rip down the second phase.

Have a safe trip in two weeks!

I will definitely stop by if they drop the alert. We stopped by last year and talked to everyone until you guys got a call and left us. Ah, the nature of the business.
That's interesting about the rest of Pop Century may be torn down, I hadn't heard that before. Of course another 2880 rooms is an awful lot. We're ready to go, just sweating out the weather now. :firefight

caparamedic - if the alert goes down, maybe I will bring to a Margate Union shirt..hope I can meet ya..I will be wearing my Reedy Creek shirt!

Hopefully I'll see you then.

Latest news: Pickets will go up in March or April during Spring Break. More news as this develops. :bounce:

caparamedic - I forgot to ask you why they would not let y'all attend the Opening of the new station??

I just read the whole thread to my DH...he was stunned! He can't believe that they have not hired any new personal

The terror alert has been reduced to Yellow which should allow tours and shirt sales to resume.

Here is the article from the Miami Herald!! It also appeared in several Florida papers, but not in Orlando!!

Here is the article from Monday, January 19, 2004 Miami Herald:

Disney rescue workers in labor dispute

Union firefighters who work for Disney are angry because they don't feel they have the same bargaining power as other public employees.

BY MIKE SCHNEIDER
Associated Press

LAKE BUENA VISTA - (AP) -- They use 15-foot ladders to pluck passengers from a broken-down Peter Pan ride. They treat theme park visitors who sometimes wilt in the summer heat. They free hotel guests from stalled elevators.

Whenever there's trouble at Walt Disney World, emergency workers from Disney's personal government come to the rescue.

But the 142 firefighters, paramedics and dispatchers who protect resort guests are not feeling too cheery these days. They've been without a contract for two years. They're unhappy with proposals on wages and health insurance for retirees. Union leaders complain they've been harassed by managers.

More than anything else, they feel they're not getting the same rights as other public workers when it comes to collective bargaining because Disney's government -- the Reedy Creek Improvement District -- answers to a private company rather than voters.

''Other fire departments, they can go and petition the mayor, city councilmen and other politicians, and they can go and work to influence the election, help them out at campaigns, contribute money,'' said Rick Spence, a firefighter for 15 years. ``We don't have that opportunity here.''

C. Ray Maxwell, Reedy Creek's administrator, said union leaders haven't allowed members to vote on a contract proposal that he described as competitive with the local market during the two years of negotiations.

''There is a question of acting in good faith,'' Maxwell said. ``Every time you make an offer, they come back and want more.''

PARK GOVERNMENT

The Legislature created Reedy Creek in 1967 at the urging of Disney, which had just announced plans to build a theme park. Disney wanted political autonomy and the power to issue tax-exempt bonds like other governments to finance projects.

The 25,000-acre district is governed by a five-member Board of Supervisors, which is elected by landowners in the district. Disney, not surprisingly, controls about 90 percent of the voting power. Board members are non-Disney business people from central Florida and must own at least an acre in the district.

Hidden away from Cinderella's Castle, far removed from the costumed workers dressed as Winnie the Pooh and Snow White, Reedy Creek keeps Disney World humming. Its workers ensure that rides get the electricity they need to run smoothly, potholes are filled on resort roads, and the water is running at Disney's 21 hotels.

The firefighters and other emergency workers are represented by the Reedy Creek Fire Fighters Association. The union wants to sue the state of Florida to challenge the constitutionality of the process for resolving labor disputes as it relates to Reedy Creek and other special taxing districts.

The process, called an impasse resolution process, is used when labor and management in a collective bargaining dispute can't resolve their differences. The firefighters declared an impasse last month, and they're waiting for the state to appoint a mediator.

If the mediator's recommendations are rejected by either side, state law allows either side to bring their complaints to the controlling legislative body -- in this case, Reedy Creek's Board of Supervisors. The legislative body will hold a public hearing and decide the outcome, which is only binding for one year.

The firefighters argue that Reedy Creek's board is not a genuine legislative body elected by voters because Disney selects its members.

''We have no way to affect the political system, to lobby our interests,'' said Rick Gorsuch, president of the Reedy Creek Fire Fighters Association Local 2117.

But Reedy Creek's Maxwell said that can be done through the board.

''I guarantee it, they're as independent as anybody can be,'' Maxwell said. ``The integrity of that board is beyond reproach.''

Maxwell said the board should be involved with the impasse resolution process because the firefighters are protecting the assets of Disney World. He also said the firefighters have never tried to air complaints before the board.

''The real process should be something where firefighters show up in their shirts and make their position known . . . not trying to influence a commissioner through a donation,'' Maxwell said. ``That is one of the things wrong with our political system today is the fact that people feel they have to buy a politician to get their vote.''

WORKER BENEFITS

The labor dispute centers on wages, whether certain retirees who have left the fire department before age 65 can get medical insurance retroactively and whether code enforcement workers can be included in the union contract. Disney's firefighters earn between $35,000 and $55,000 a year, which is competitive for the Orlando market.

When Gorsuch began working at Disney 15 years ago, it was like family, he said. But management's attitude changed in the late 1990s. He accused managers of trying to break the union by threatening disciplinary action and launching internal investigations against union leaders.

Maxwell denied there was any effort to end the union.

Joseph Little, a law professor at the University of Florida, said the firefighters have a ''contrived'' argument if they sue to change the impasse resolution process and suggested they go to the state Legislature to seek a change. But he conceded there was a distinction between Disney's workers and other public employees.

''Whether or not that distinction is enough to make [the law] . . . unconstitutional, that's what I'm dubious about,'' he said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© 2004 The Miami Herald and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved.
http://www.miami.com

Hey CA - got my Reedy Creek Union shirt today...will wear it next week to support you all!!!

Please thank Chad Barley for the email and quick response!!

Any news caparamedic..

I had several CM ask me if I was a Union Member when I was there. They seem to all know about the trouble.
Have you had your picket yet?

I'm glad folks are talking! We will need them if and when we picket!

Here is what is going on:

1. We have requested and received applications for public assembly in both the City of Lake Buena Vista and Bay Lake.

2. Our last offer was rejected by the District and we met today with the executive board and came up with another proposal. Bear in mind that we only are in dispute over three issues:

a: Pay rates. Very complicated issue.
b: Retiree benefits.
c: Presumption of on the job diseases, such as Hep. C, HIV, TB, etc. We are trying to eliminate having a review board that is controlled by the District. Although state law is on our side, going through the court system everytime a member gets sick may find employees terminated, unemployeed or dead before these issues are resolved.

3. The NATIONWIDE press coverage from the Associated Press article, led to additional coverage locally. We even had an interview with our union president broadcast over radio station WDBO.

4. Tee shirt sales have increased thanks to all of you!

5. The union president was transferred to Station 4 from Station 2. We don't exactly know why, but it will work in the union's favor!

6. The SOAR team continues to get smaller as members line up to get off of the team. The Special Operations and Response Team was created AFTER the district told Disney that we had a team to handle technical rescues, haz. mat and other nasty things that terrorists spend their days thinking about.

7. Our lawsuit with the State of Florida is still in the court system which challanges that part of the District's charter which allows them to have public employees who have no access to elected officials.

8. Several members who were terminated, rehired and not make whole have filed lawsuits in Orange County Circuit Court in order to get back what was taken from them by the Reedy Creek Improvement District.

That is what is going on!

Thank you to everyone who supports the firefighters who keep "The World" safe.

By the way, last Friday, February 6 Reedy Creek FD responded to a fatal accident when three young people were drag racing on Hotel Plaza Blvd struck one of the large oak trees in the median. This was just west of the District Administration building. The driver and front seat passenger were dead on the scene. The third occupant of the car was trapped in the back seat with only her head exposed from the driver's side of the car where it struck the tree. She was flown to the level one trauma center and was conscious through the entire extrication but died two days later. The rescue was one of the most difficult due to the extreme damage to the car which literally wrapped itself around the huge oak. :firefight

Wow...terrible..do you have your own extrication team?

I was there last Friday, but left about 1pm..

I also was looking for a link to the Disneyland Fire Dept.
thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter